Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Senior in high school, but I'm 5'7, 250 lbs?

I'm a senior in Florida and I want to go to fire school straight out of high school, I know I need to lose weight but, how much, how fast?

Forum Member

I'm also "muscle under cushion."

Forum Member

There are way too many variables in this, what you say, what you actually look like etc. just try to start getting in shape, eat healthy, lift some weights, and do some HIIT.

Forum Member

The best advice I can give you is to really start working on what you eat and drink. Losing weight is about 80% what you put in your body. Spend some time looking at food labels and find out how many cal’s you should be eating as well as fat, carbs and protein. When you are eating out is where you really need to be careful. One burger and fries can be half of your daily cal, carb and fat intake. Pick up a few books on healthy eating. You need to get below 200 at least.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Losing weight

If you are a mesomorph, or endomorph, or somewhere in between, you could lose 2-4 lbs a week.

Get over the scale thing. The number will just discourage you. Commit to an hour a day of hard training. Start training with HIIT, as stated above, or check out cross fit in line. Super setting and interval training at a lower level might work best at first if you are a bit out of shape (no offense). There is no saying that someone who's 5'7" and strong as an ox needs to be thin to be functional. Really, take a look at Ahmad Bradshaw. How great is he? I am almost as tall as him, and he plays for the GIANTS.

Start looking at your food: cut out processed (anything in a package) and fried foods. Eat pure protein (chicken, egg whites, fish, pork) fruits and vegies raw. It's a huge leap, I know... add whole grains and 100%whole wheat bread. Eat Brown rice.

Drink tons of water, and get to work. If you only lose 20 lbs, and you function the way Bradshaw does, who the heck cares how much you weigh???

Ok... I know, enough with the football, Jen...
    Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

Forum Member

You have to have @$$ to move @$$, don't sweat the extra weight, it'll do you good. However the above means nothing if you don't build up some good cardio strength/endurance.

Forum Member

As usual Dr. Jen is right on the money. I do have one thing to caution you on though, the interview panel does care how you look. Take it from a guy who has battled weight his entire life, if you are 5'7" and 250# as a high school senior the chances are that you will be a severely overweight firefighter.
    You need to lose the weight NOW to considered a serious firefighter candidate.

If you are unable to lose the weight, you need to grow by 5 inches. Once you figure out how to do this, please call me. I think my problem is that I am just not tall enough. Good luck!!
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Please keep your weight in check. Chief Lepore is right on that. Your health, wellbeing and longevity are first.

HOWEVER: obesity is the most prevenlant prejudice in the world today. Don't be a the one. Know that people cannot remove their prejudices.
    Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

Forum Member

I'm so glad the chief said that...

No matter what anyone tries to tell you...you've got to understand that your appearance has an impact on your scoring for the exam. Times are getting tougher and tougher for earning the badge, so don't underestimate the importance of presenting yourself as a fit, and highly motivated guy.

You're a young guy (Awesome that you know what you want to do!!!Congrats.), and I think you will see amazing results just by being consistent.

Go for it.

Paul

Thread Information