Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Scooter has awakened a sleeping giant. I don't think he counted on the amount of people that would come forward against his dic(K)tatorial style of government.

Can't wait til the recall elections start and I expecially can't wait until his year is up and we can boot his *** out of the governor's mansion.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Yep, care to show me where during his campaign he said publicly that he intended to decimate collective bargaining and attack public employee's Unions?
    First, collective bargaining is still fully intact for the private sector. Secondly, the bill just clearly defines what can or can't be negotiated. More can be added to it or more can be taken away, at the local level. BTW; read the bill, yet?
    I do also believe that I mentioned the fact that he was going to go after aspects of collective bargaining last October; it was no surprise to me, except that he exempted police and fire.

The fact is, unions had no plan to make any concessions until he brought the repair bill forward, and you know it. Walker spent the better part of his time as the county exec here fighting the local unions; some of it stupid, some of it legit. The fact is that the unions didn't want to give back their "golden parachute" pensions given out under Ament. I don't really blame them, but it does come with a huge cost to the budget. That is the fact that gets overlooked and is never talked about. The retirees are getting their 750,000 dollar cash payouts when they pension out, independent of their actual pension benefit. The money has to come from somewhere, right? You ever want to compare property tax bills, let me know. It's a tough sell to try and raise taxes more in this county, or city. Especially when this city is doing all it can to drive the remaining business here, out to the suburbs.

He is BAD for the state and his plans have done NOTHING but cost the state more money. I find it hysterical that those of you that support his money saving schemes have no problem with him double spending on security for him by hiring Wackenhut security forces. But then again, you did allow him to waste that same amount of money when he was county exec didn't you?

Obviously you don't really understand the fight that was going on between the county exec and the county unions. Remember Tom Ament, and the pension scandal that had him and a half dozen county supervisors recalled?
    Some of those pension payouts are worth close to a million dollars, each. That is an indisputable fact. I don't like any double spending, but no politician is going to ever have a 100% satisfactory record. The fact remains that this county and this state are in desperate fiscal positions. I don't want to take any more cuts, or give backs, or anything else. My next door neighbor didn't want to lose 40% of his income, either. My other neighbor, a union employee for Buel, didn't want to lose his job, as well. He had a pretty decent job at that; he's still out of work.

If we think that we are going to get any sympathy from anyone, we're crazy. Is Walker the best guy? He was one of two choices; I think we got the better of the two, you don't. No big deal. Just don't sit there and criticize me for doing what I think is best for my family and friends. Walker has started to create a business climate that I feel will draw more business to this state, unlike Doyle did, or Barrett would have. That's my opinion and I have no problem saying that.

I have several very close, personal friends who are small business owners. All I know about small business is what they tell me. They tell me that life today is far better for their business than it was one year ago. It is purely about taxation.
    I also think you are overestimating the current state of politics in this state. People are not on the side of the unions. In fact, many people are outright disgusted at the unions, especially local 311.

But whatever; in the end I still respect you, Don. I still value you and your knowledge. Stay safe!
    Last edited by Jasper 45; 04-20-2011 at 02:17 PM.

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    He's done a masterful job of being a uniter. That being a unifying force that will force special elections to recall four sitting GOP state senators.

If I were president (or chairman or whatever) of the WI Dem party, I'd be sending Walker a HUGE thank you note.
    Why, so we can waste more tax money on unneeded elections/recalls? I truly believe people are not understanding the political climate of this state. I really don't.

We had business leaving this state hand over fist. We lost countless movies and corporations because of Madison being unwilling to handout "corporate welfare", which also includes taxation that benefits the average small business owner.
    If we increase the amount of business and industry in this state, more tax revenue is generated across the board. If we don't, we lose companies like Miller Brewing, Master Lock, Mercury Marine, Pabst, G. Heileman, Allis Chalmers, Rockwell Automation, etc...

I honestly don't know if what we're doing is right. I do know that we were doing wasn't working. Maybe you don't realize that because you're in Southern California, and have things like weather, scenery and major international seaports, no matter what. We don't have that, here. We have things like snow in late April, along with a major city and commerce region directly abutting this state.

Forum Member

I always find it hard to read comments posted by Walker supporters. I can never figure out how a middle class wisconsin worker can support this crook. Whether you are in a union or not it shouldnt matter, The republican party is not looking out for any of the middle class period. I have been to quite a few rallies in the past few months and its interesting to see the types of people that drive by ****ed off that you are holding a "Recall Walker sign"... Im tired of people pointing the finger at the public sector employees, and saying that it is about time that you guys start paying (insurance and pensions). Ill just use The Dept of Corrections for example. A lot of people dont really have their facts straight with this. DOC Staff NO longer has This So called Free Insurance we lost that years ago. I will admit that we do not pay as much as some folks do, but we pay more then alot of others do. Our Pensions I will admit are pretty good. So i guess Walker -Supporters will think for that Reason that I am living high off the Hog. Understand that the Public sector have been paying more and losing more every year for the past 7 years (DOC). We have not taken any raises or increase in benifits. We have been give furlough Days which has taken about 3% off the top. There have been increases in Health Care. Yes we have kept pensions but so has alot of other people. I had a arguement one day with a electrician. All he could say was that is was wrong that we did contribute to our healthcare. After I corrected him, he told me that we should pay more. He told me that he pays about $1200 a month. Then went on to say that he also makes around $36 an hour.

This just seems so funny to me because DOC staff Officers start out at 14.65 an hour. Far cry from $36. An average DOC SGT. with 10 years is still making under $20 an hour. There is alot of talk about DOC staff making over 100K a year with Overtime and that is true there are a few. You have to remember these guys are also working around 80-90 hours a week. You find me a public sector employee that gets a christmas bonus, company benifets, stock options, or any other private sector benifit. I know it has been hard with alot of the private sector jobs in the past few years. But if the grass is so much greenier then I will ask You to come work a few days in the DOC its all fun and games, i am sure your job isnt either, but at what point time did middle class start fighting with each other...

Forum Member

QUOTE FROM JASPER:
    I also think you are overestimating the current state of politics in this state. People are not on the side of the unions. In fact, many people are outright disgusted at the unions, especially local 311.

But remember. There are also alot of people that still strongly support the unions and im thinking that number is alot high then you think....Just my opinion

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper 45 View Post
    Why, so we can waste more tax money on unneeded elections/recalls? I truly believe people are not understanding the political climate of this state. I really don't.
    Welcome to democracy American style.

We had business leaving this state hand over fist. We lost countless movies and corporations because of Madison being unwilling to handout "corporate welfare", which also includes taxation that benefits the average small business owner.
    If we increase the amount of business and industry in this state, more tax revenue is generated across the board. If we don't, we lose companies like Miller Brewing, Master Lock, Mercury Marine, Pabst, G. Heileman, Allis Chalmers, Rockwell Automation, etc...
    Hypothetical. But who should pay for the services used by business? The burden of supporting government has been shifted away from the corporate entities and more towards income and payroll taxes.

I honestly don't know if what we're doing is right. I do know that we were doing wasn't working. Maybe you don't realize that because you're in Southern California, and have things like weather, scenery and major international seaports, no matter what. We don't have that, here. We have things like snow in late April, along with a major city and commerce region directly abutting this state.
    He's on record as stating that elimination of collective bargaining will have no positive fiscal impact.
    Last edited by scfire86; 04-23-2011 at 06:56 AM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Anyone that believes Scott Walker is helping Fire Fighters is just being naive. Anyone fire fighter that believes we are going to be exempt from both the pension and healthcare is being naive. Any fire fighter that belives we are going to be exempt from a collective bargaining law, is being naive. By 2012, we will be included in our own little anti-union bill. This man and his supporters in the legislature should all be recalled.

As far as MFD goes, you should be ashamed for supporting this man that has one goal while in office, break the unions at all costs.

Forum Member

Jasper,

Are you telling me you knew that scooter intended to decimate collective bargaining and you still voted for him?
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Jasper,

Are you telling me you knew that scooter intended to decimate collective bargaining and you still voted for him?
    That would be interesting given that no one can find any indication of that issue in his campaign literature or media contacts.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Well, well, well...don't come crying to the rest of us 215...enjoy the privatization of your jobs...you made your bed, now lie in it...ALONE!!!

Alderman calls for overhaul of Milwaukee Fire Department

A Milwaukee alderman called Thursday for studying a major overhaul of the city's Fire Department, including the prospects for hiring private companies to deliver both emergency medical service and fire service, or consolidating operations with the suburbs and county.

"We're living with a 1970s solution for how we provide fire protection," Ald. Terry Witkowski said at a City Hall news conference, referring to the time when emergency medical service was transferred from the Police Department to the Fire Department. He said the city needs to find a way to provide "the same level of service, the same degree of safety, but at lower cost."

The idea is likely to face opposition from the Milwaukee Professional Firefighters Association, which has repeatedly battled attempts to trim firefighter staffing.

Asked whether he had discussed the study with the firefighters' union, Witkowski said he had learned the quickest way to kill one of your own ideas was to "go to the enemy first."

Witkowski and Aldermen Robert Puente and Ashanti Hamilton, who joined him at the news conference, later said they did not consider the union to be their enemy, but that their responsibility to manage the city in taxpayers' interests differed from the union's responsibility to represent its members' interests. They also said they were not seeking to punish the union for supporting Republican Gov. Scott Walker in his successful campaign against Democratic Mayor Tom Barrett, or for pushing a bill in the Legislature to lift city residency rules for firefighters and police officers.

Over the past 40 years, emergency medical service has grown to 80% of the Fire Department's calls, while the number of fires has dropped to 36 major blazes and about 5,000 building fire-related calls a year, Witkowski noted. He questioned whether the city's four ambulance companies could provide the same emergency medical service at lower cost.

Witkowski said his move was prompted by Walker's 2011-'13 state budget, which would cut state aid to local governments and place tight limits on property tax increases.

Walker has said local governments could compensate for the cuts by raising employee benefit contributions, as provided in his budget-repair legislation. But as Witkowski noted, that measure excludes union-represented police and firefighters, who account for some two-thirds of the city's costs. Court challenges have put the law on hold, and the city attorney's office has questioned whether it can legally apply to the city pension fund.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PFFW proud View Post
    Well, well, well...don't come crying to the rest of us 215...enjoy the privatization of your jobs...you made your bed, now lie in it...ALONE!!!
    While I can understand the sentiment you have here, I disagree with the approach. While 215 was one of those local who did support the current gov, they did have their reasons too. When the cuts to bargaining came forth, I will say the times I marched in Madison, I did see some 215 members as well. I will also say there are several of my own members who voted for the gov as well as members in other locals as well. Matter of fact I was running for a Wage position in my own local and my opponent was a die hard republican at the time, believing Walker would not do what he did. He has now flipped 180 and completely against anything Republican, whether it is real or feigned could be disputed, but right now he is more pro union than before. What I'm saying here is people have their opinion and back whomever.

Now when it comes to something like this, well this is just another aspect of the attacks we are facing. Privatization really is not good for any of us and yet, it is the mantra of the GOP to privatize anything and everything, I disagree with privatizing, especially when it comes to emergency services. I DO agree with consolidations of depts and services, like what North Shore, South Shore etc did, but disagree with privatizing. In the end an attack using privatizing on any of us, is an attack on all of us. We can't let such concepts take a firmer grip, because it is a cancer that just spreads. The misguided ideals that privatizing is a money saver etc is BS at best. If such a concept moves forward in our biggest city, where does it stop? My point is regardless of what occurred prior to the election and who supports whom, we can't let things like privatizing divide us. There are things to fight against and this is definately one.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

Consolidation is a grand idea that is only realistic and fair if ALL of the communites are on an equal standing financially. If one or more of the cities are barely afloat and others have solid financial situations it is hardly beneficial for the solvent ones to hook themselves in an agreement with those less solvent or already circling the drain.

Privatization is a sore subject for me. But it is also one of major hypocrisy in the fire service. We gripe about the privates and then on our off days some of those same people are running on those private ambulances. So which is it? They are always bad, or only bad if they are threatening our jobs? If privatization is bad don't work for them on your off days, push to take over non-emergency transfers in your service area, prove you are better and more efficient than they claim they are. Otherwise it is just blather and loud noise before the defeat.

Fire privatization has a bizzare history, some places it worked for years and in recent years has been replaced by municipal FDs, other places it was an abysmal failure. We need to prove we are a better option with more than this is how it has always been. Fortunately this is not a true concern most places, but we must remain vigilant to the possibility.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Yepper, they will NEVER come after firefighters and police. Good lord could you guys have been any more naive?

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Local police and firefighters would no longer be exempted from key restrictions on collective bargaining under a proposed bill.

A bill introduced by Independent Rep. Bob Ziegelbauer of Manitowoc would eliminate collective bargaining rights for public safety employees on health care and pension contributions. The bill does not require employee contributions to health care and pension funds, but would allow municipalities to mandate them.

Ziegelbauer says the bill is an attempt to apply key parts of Gov. Scott Walker's controversial budget repair bill to police and firefighters without "blowing up" the entire collective bargaining process. Ziegelbauer voted for Walker's bill.

Walker's bill curtails collective bargaining rights for most public employees, but exempts police and firefighters. A judge has blocked the law from taking effect.
    Maybe it's not too late

the 4-1-4

Yepper, they will NEVER come after firefighters and police. Good lord could you guys have been any more naive?
    Now, why didn't you post the story that explained that the proposed amendment doesn't have one single cosponsor? This means that the amendment is dead in the water, which means it isn't going to happen.

C'mon Don, you're better than that!

Forum Member

Now, why didn't you post the story that explained that the proposed amendment doesn't have one single cosponsor? This means that the amendment is dead in the water, which means it isn't going to happen.

C'mon Don, you're better than that!

Yet, it isn't going to happen YET. The fact is many cities have sent letters requesting the exemption be lifted. Including the one I work in.

Honestly, you shocked me when you didn't comment on th whole privatization and consolidation boondoggle.
    Maybe it's not too late

the 4-1-4

Yet, it isn't going to happen YET. The fact is many cities have sent letters requesting the exemption be lifted. Including the one I work in.
    Mine has, as well. In fact, my city has been the one that has fought the hardest to get the inclusion; the mayor spoke for hours in Madison on the subject.
    I guess the only confidence I have is what I see in writing from my local's leadership. I'm not going to get into the hows and whys of what decisions were made in how I voted for governor. Suffice it to say that it spanned multiple issues.

Honestly, you shocked me when you didn't comment on th whole privatization and consolidation boondoggle.
    What was left to say? You did a pretty good job of laying it out there. I have always believed that private ambulances are more of a threat to our careers than any volunteer department. Of course tho, there are "brothers" all over this forum who fully endorse the opposite.
    I have to admit tho, it does make me chuckle when Bell Ambulance shows up to transport and the private paramedic on that rig calls us a bad union, etc... while he is actually a county med that is assigned to MED-10. (working as a BLS unit, no less) Classic. I guess that's just being a good union member. I know you're on the same page as me, with this topic.

I don't know how much more the city is going to look for in working with the privates. The fact is, the alderman in question is a wack job.A few years ago he was on a tangent about getting us to stop using water for firefighting.

Consolidation; I have no clue as to what is going on. I don't believe there is any movement towards taking any cities in, like what happened with West Milwaukee. If it is happening, the conversations aren't even including the chief of department, here.
    We have been getting out into the suburban departments to give a hands on visual of our special ops, such as collapse, etc... but that is strictly informational events and an effort by our administration to be more inclusive and open. Remember that the Pizza Man fiasco happened under a different chief. The guy we have now is a good guy and most definitely remembers his roots. He has also surrounded himself with guys that are firemen first, chiefs second.

The current chief is an incredible breath of fresh air. I forgot what it was like to have a chief that still thinks like a firefighter. I also guess I'm just sick of the arguing that is so pervasive in the state and region. I try hard not to get bent about anything until it is clear it is going to happen. As of today, we've lost 254 positions, two battalion chiefs and five rigs since I was hired; the lion's share of that being in the past few years. We have more slated to be cut next year, along with pay and benefits. I have more important things to worry about than things I have no control over. As far as I know all of the consolidation talk is just that, talk. Mayor Barrett stated he was in favor of it, that is a fact. Very good and close friends of mine, in the chief's ranks, have heard absolutely nothing about consolidating anything.
    Last edited by Jasper 45; 05-14-2011 at 07:34 AM.

Forum Member

Milwaukee police discovered the body of a female Monday morning inside a Riverwest house that had been damaged in a fire Friday night.

Officers were at a duplex in the 1100 block of E. Center St. following up on a missing person investigation involving the owner of the home, police spokeswoman Anne E. Schwartz said in a news release.

"We continue to work on this investigation including the identification of the body found today," she said. "At this point, we have no further information to share on this incident."

The Milwaukee Fire Department responded to a fire in the house at 11:27 p.m. Friday and helped police do a forced entry to do a search in the debris Monday around 11:15 a.m. Monday, a fire department official said. That's when they found the body.

Firefighters generally do a thorough investigation after a fire to determine cause and origin, the official said.

Court and city records show the house belongs to the Rev. Mary Ellen Freundl, an ordained ministerial counselor with Pathways of Light. A missing-persons report on Freundl was filed with Milwaukee police shortly after the fire.

Schwartz said police have not identified the body.
    All I can say is wow, you guys are incompetent fools. What an embarrassment to the fire service as if you guys already werent.

and jasper, you are a moron if u beleiev the drivel you write. It seems to me milwaukee would be better off privatized. The tax payers might get some competent service for their money.

Forum Member

All I can say is wow, you guys are incompetent fools. What an embarrassment to the fire service as if you guys already werent.

and jasper, you are a moron if u beleiev the drivel you write. It seems to me milwaukee would be better off privatized. The tax payers might get some competent service for their money.
    You write as you do and yet you question the intellect of others?

Forum Member

WOW! Totally uncalled for.

Sorry, I simply cannot and will notsupport this post and attack by you on Jasper or the Brothers in Milwaukee.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

WOW! Totally uncalled for.

Sorry, I simply cannot and will notsupport this post and attack by you on Jasper or the Brothers in Milwaukee.
    I second that
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    I second that
    Third for good measure.
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFDMAXX View Post
    Third for good measure.
    Fourth, for that extra kick in the nuts.

Thread Information