the 4-1-4

Default Wisconsin governor race

Wisconsin professional firefighters, Tom Barrett is not a friend to firefighters or police officers.
    He has done nothing and will continue to do nothing for any of us. I know the PFFW has given him a "glowing" endorsement; the PFFW is wrong.

Under Barrett, IAFF Local-215 has had 200 line positions cut out from under them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Xm-obWeUI

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

This governor's race is a perfect example of what happens when the 2 party system truly offers no real choice that benefits us the taxpaying public.

Both candidates couldn't manage the city or county they were elected to run. Both ran them into the ground financially and had priorities that were completely screwed up.

Which is the lesser of 2 evils?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    This governor's race is a perfect example of what happens when the 2 party system truly offers no real choice that benefits us the taxpaying public.

Both candidates couldn't manage the city or county they were elected to run. Both ran them into the ground financially and had priorities that were completely screwed up.

I have to feel that Walker is the better choice.

It's always a gamble in politics, really. No one ever fulfills what they promise. I just feel that Barret is gonna be another Doyle, and I'm in no way in support of that.

Honestly, I feel Neumann was probably the better choice in the primary, but what are ya gonna do I guess? We're gonna get someone, I'd rather have the one that at least sounds like it's not gonna be another term of the same old crap...Who knows though.

the 4-1-4

My Brother, I think it is more an example of what is wrong within our union. The blind allegiance to a candidate, strictly based on the letter behind the name.
    Never mind that it could be argued that the PFFW has outright mislead it's members with it's choice to endorse.

From the PFFW site:

“Tom Barrett has a record on public safety second to none, and throughout his years of service he has been a consistent advocate for Wisconsin's firefighters and emergency response professionals, our families, and most importantly the communities we serve,” said PFFW President Mike Woodzicka. "As governor, we know Tom will invest the resources needed to support our state's firefighters and keep Wisconsin's communities safe."
    http://pffw.org/index.cfm?zone=/unio...&HomeID=179128

I am not going to get into any of the other politics and issues, as that is more objective and subject to opinion.
    However, from a firefighter/public safety perspective, I have no clue how a firefighters union can issue such a statement.

How has Tom Barrett proven he will keep Wisconsin's citizens safe? How has Tom Barrett proven or showed he will keep Wisconsin's firefighters safe?
    How will Tom Barrett provide Wisconsin's firefighters with the resources we need to do our jobs?

The only example is what he has already done. Thus far he has permanently closed two fire companies and browned out three others, daily. He has successfully cut our line positions by almost 200 members, in the form of staffing cuts.
    If the PFFW is concerned about protecting it's members, why the outright ignoring of those facts? These organizations are supposed to be there to protect us and our working conditions. There is no mention anywhere from the PFFW, other than Joe Conway, about these cuts to firefighter staffing.

I'm not coming at you, Brother, but I'm sure you're aware we are taking some heat for backing the "other" guy. There some real reasons why the decision was made.

Stay safe!

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Please look closer into Scotts career. Look at the elected county board who opposes him on a regular basis and has the power to override his vetos on the boards proposed tax increases and increased spending. A conservative county exec that can be overridden by a liberal free spending high taxing county board can't be blamed for all the financial woes experienced in the county. Or a spendy mayor.

Then look at the many things that Scott has accomplished and how much of those accomplishments were hard fought, long, drawn out battles that he won, a true testament to smaller gov fiscal conservative principals.

I understand he's the county exec and as such is a visible target but there are many things in that county he cannot control due to the politics of other elected leaders.

I think he does offer a real choice to benefit the taxpayes. Less gov't, lower spending, less taxes, business friendly environment to attract more companies to the state and and foster the growth of new small businesses, and an all around common sense approach to leadership.

I know the commercials all say crap about him, but that's how candidates who have nothing to offer work: attack the other guy while we say nothing about ourselves.... because we don't have anything good to say about ourselves either.
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

Forum Member

I work in Milwaukee County, I am fully aware of the "wonderful" work of Scott Walker. I am also aware of his proposed changes to the pension system. As someone who is roughly 3 years away from retirement reform like this is not what I want or need .

Barret is just as big a failure as Walker when it comes to doing the job he was elected to do. Milwaukee is on the verge of bankruptcy and that gets laid square of the shoulders of the man in charge.

Neither one has a track record supportive of public employeees, including public safety.

To me there is really no good candidate running in this election.
    Maybe it's not too late

the 4-1-4

To me there is really no good candidate running in this election.

I won't argue this point with you, one bit. My real beef is when members of our own union, the IAFF, flat out lie to the public about this mayor, and his track record of supporting firefighters.

Our wonderful "Open Sky" radio network was down again the other day, for just under three hours. Our alarm bureau was keeping track of companies and assignments on post-it notes, and communicating with us via cell phones. It goes down on an almost daily basis.
    This is his idea of support and safety.

Walker may not be much, but at least he is not Barrett. I honestly don't believe that he will be able to do anything to alter the current pension. The only thing he may be able to do is alter it for all new hires, which is nothing different than Barrett wishes to do.
    There are rumors he (Walker) wants to eliminate collective bargaining, as well. Again, I don't believe he can do it.

Stay safe over there!

Forum Member

Well, now that Walker has been elected governor, it will be interesting to watch as the consolidation of departments begins.
    Interesting indeed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrewCityFF View Post
    Well, now that Walker has been elected governor, it will be interesting to watch as the consolidation of departments begins.
    Interesting indeed.
    Don't worry, we won't treat you guys too shabbily when we take you over.

We may even keep some of you on the payroll.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 12-07-2010 at 09:27 PM.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Sooooo....MFD, how is hat Walker endorsement working out for you?
    Maybe it's not too late

the 4-1-4

Sooooo....MFD, how is hat Walker endorsement working out for you?

Well, considering that Walker has done nothing to take anything away from the fire service and considering that we still have an open line of communication with his office, so far so good.
    Far better than a proven anti-fire service politician, such as Barrett.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper 45 View Post
    Well, considering that Walker has done nothing to take anything away from the fire service and considering that we still have an open line of communication with his office, so far so good.
    Far better than a proven anti-fire service politician, such as Barrett.
    Well Andy,

I guess I see this as a bigger picture than the, for now, exemption for firefighters and police. One Union Borther or Sister injured by unfair laws is ALL Union Brothers and Sisters injured. If we don't stand by them when they need us how can we expect them to stand by us when we need them? His tactics are so clearly obvious divide and conquer. I am sorry but I don't believe walker will keep his word. His whole message contains so many lies that he can't remember the lie he lied to cover the original lie.

Barret was no prize, but what walker said and what he is doing don't come close to jiving.

Wisconsin is open for business...who knew the governor's office would be the first thing sold.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Wisconsin is open for business...who knew the governor's office would be the first thing sold.
    Like I said on Facebook,

"Wisconsin: Open for business. (As long as its a private sector company owned by the Koch brothers.)"

And for the record, when I posted in this thread before, I was in favor, and considered voting for Walker, but, after some more research prior to the election, I ended up NOT voting for Walker.

the 4-1-4

I guess I see this as a bigger picture than the, for now, exemption for firefighters and police. One Union Borther or Sister injured by unfair laws is ALL Union Brothers and Sisters injured. If we don't stand by them when they need us how can we expect them to stand by us when we need them?
    Believe me, we have been looking at the "big picture". If you think for one minute that the AFL-CIO or AFSCME or any of the other unions will come to our aid, you're mistaken. They could not care less about you or me or how many guys we put on a rig of what we're paid. They're using you guys right now, no more no less. Never mind that we have been told by more than one principle officer of the PFFW that we were due the cuts we have taken of late.

I'm not trying to be confrontational here but, none of these other unions really care about us. Sorry, that's the truth.

I do have to ask though; have you read JR1SB-11? If you haven't, it's only 144 pages long. It's not that bad of a read, all things considered.

Guess we can only criticize if it's something other than the asphalt industry, the teacher's union or any of the other sellout items from past administrations. Money has always talked, even for the PFFW. It is right now, in fact, and it's not even under attack. Well, we are, by our mayor. If he gets his way we'll take far more of a hit to our pensions and healthcare than what is proposed in this bill.

Forum Member

Believe me, we have been looking at the "big picture". If you think for one minute that the AFL-CIO or AFSCME or any of the other unions will come to our aid, you're mistaken. They could not care less about you or me or how many guys we put on a rig of what we're paid. They're using you guys right now, no more no less. Never mind that we have been told by more than one principle officer of the PFFW that we were due the cuts we have taken of late.

No more than walker is using your union. Believe me if the opportunity arises he will **** you and the rest of the firefighters and police officers.

I honestly didn't do it for the Union. I did it because I sincerely believe that what walker is doing is WRONG, through and through. Collective bargaining and Union busting have not one thing to do with the budget. Giving $100 million in tax breaks and then claiming broke and demanding concessions, that were given and then ignored, just stinks to high heaven. His undeniable ties to the Kochs, their financing his campaign, their buying advertising to support him now, and walker's blunder phone conversation with the phony Koch brother says it all to me. Walker has been caught in so many lies and distortions that I am surprised he can recognize which side of his face he is talking out of.

I'm not trying to be confrontational here but, none of these other unions really care about us. Sorry, that's the truth.

That is your perception. I was there in the Capitol. I marched with the firefighters. I heard what people on the street, and then inside the Capitol, had to say. I have never seen an issue pull people from so many walks of life together before. To me it is simply amazing.

I do have to ask though; have you read JR1SB-11? If you haven't, it's only 144 pages long. It's not that bad of a read, all things considered.

Nope, I haven't read all of it. The parts I have read have shown me exactly what I need to see.

Guess we can only criticize if it's something other than the asphalt industry, the teacher's union or any of the other sellout items from past administrations. Money has always talked, even for the PFFW. It is right now, in fact, and it's not even under attack. Well, we are, by our mayor. If he gets his way we'll take far more of a hit to our pensions and healthcare than what is proposed in this bill.

So you sold your souls to a governor who says **** organized labor, well except for MUNICIPAL fire and police, BUT, if those fire and police are state employees then **** them too. You did know that there are state employees that are firefighters right? And state employees that are police too? His exemption will not hold...I would put money on it.

LOL...guess you forgot I am a member of the teachers Union too.

As for the road construction lobby...they hold far too much power considering they are PRIVATE companies. We spend road repair money ridiculously in my humble opinion.
    Andy, we will never agree on this. I can see that clearly. This issue has cost me friends and will likely cost me more but I simply cannot and will not waiver in my struggle against walker and his cronies.

It has gotten so ludicrous that I have been called a liberal, leftist, communist, marxist and Union pawn...I guess people don't know me as well as they thought they did.
    Maybe it's not too late

the 4-1-4

Andy, we will never agree on this. I can see that clearly. This issue has cost me friends and will likely cost me more but I simply cannot and will not waiver in my struggle against walker and his cronies.

That's unfortunate; I'm a bit more difficult to get rid of! threat or promise, you decide!

It has gotten so ludicrous that I have been called a liberal, leftist, communist, marxist and Union pawn...I guess people don't know me as well as they thought they did.
    That's ok, there is a lot of that going around here, as well.

So you sold your souls to a governor who says **** organized labor, well except for MUNICIPAL fire and police, BUT, if those fire and police are state employees then **** them too.
    That's weird but, I always thought the Wisconsin State Troopers were employees of the state. Did that change? Sheriff deputies are municipal? GMIA CFR is a municipal agency? We didn't sell any of them down the river, unlike the PFFW did with others...just saying...they're all exempt, as well.

BTW...my mom is a member of WEAC, she supports the governor...I guess it's what makes this country great.

It takes more than this for me to "lose" friends...if they're gone over this, they weren't in the first place...I wish you could see my facebook page...lol...I wonder if facebook existed during the Civil War if this is what it would be like...lol

Forum Member

That's weird but, I always thought the Wisconsin State Troopers were employees of the state. Did that change? Sheriff deputies are municipal? GMIA CFR is a municipal agency? We didn't sell any of them down the river, unlike the PFFW did with others...just saying...they're all exempt, as well.

There are actually 3 State of Wisconsin fire stations staffed with State Employees. The 128th ARW WiANG at GMIAP, the fire department at Dane County Regional Airport covers the WiANG base and the entire airport, and the fire department at Volf Field. All career firefighters that are state employees. Their understanding is they aree not exempt. Are you saying State troopers are exempt?

BTW...my mom is a member of WEAC, she supports the governor...I guess it's what makes this country great.

Why would she support a plan that will cut her own throat?

It takes more than this for me to "lose" friends...if they're gone over this, they weren't in the first place...I wish you could see my facebook page...lol...I wonder if facebook existed during the Civil War if this is what it would be like...lol

Um, I am a member of facebook...
    Stay safe...
    Maybe it's not too late

the 4-1-4

Their understanding is they aree not exempt. Are you saying State troopers are exempt?
    Well, there were four locals that endorsed the governor, with one of them being the State Troopers Association. The wording in the bill, at least to me, exempted all LEO's and firefighters.
    Now maybe they are talking about the pension contribution and healthcare costs, but I was under the impression that those items were not an issue. My impression was that it was the collective bargaining aspect that was of concern. On that issue, they are exempt if they firefighters or LEO's, whether they are state, county or city employees. It's hard to say about the pension contributions, since the president of the PFFW threw all of you guys under the bus for it.

Why would she support a plan that will cut her own throat?
    Well, you'd have to ask her and the other teachers that agree with her. Maybe she just thinks "emeritus" positions are not needed to be a part of collective bargaining, I don't know. There are a surprising number of teachers that agree with the legislation.

Forum Member

Well, there were four locals that endorsed the governor, with one of them being the State Troopers Association. The wording in the bill, at least to me, exempted all LEO's and firefighters.
    Now maybe they are talking about the pension contribution and healthcare costs, but I was under the impression that those items were not an issue. My impression was that it was the collective bargaining aspect that was of concern. On that issue, they are exempt if they firefighters or LEO's, whether they are state, county or city employees. It's hard to say about the pension contributions, since the president of the PFFW threw all of you guys under the bus for it.

Well, you'd have to ask her and the other teachers that agree with her. Maybe she just thinks "emeritus" positions are not needed to be a part of collective bargaining, I don't know. There are a surprising number of teachers that agree with the legislation.

A recent poll puts 77% of voters in opposition to walker's plan.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Let me be the one to say what a disgrace the Milwaukee Professional Firefighters, IAFF-Local 215 is, was and will continue to be. They are a borderline scab agency and it would be a complete disgrace to ever allow them to rejoin the PFFW.

We don't need them. We don't want them. We certainly will never need them to stand with us. (not that they would!)

Endorsing scooter for governor? Slamming suburban departments any chance they get, after asking for help? Supporting the takeover and elimination of other union positions in suburban departments? Not a chance in hell I will ever support anything they do. There is no way that I will say one word in defense of any future cuts they will take, because they are going to take more.

No way. They want to stand alone and cut deals for themselves only...let them stand all the way alone... I for one, would be more than happy to show them the door out of the IAFF; they aren't one of us.

As far as I'm concerned, they are trying to take food off my plate and harm my family. I have no use for anyone who does that.

Local 407 member and proud!
    Last edited by PFFW proud; 04-12-2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling error

Forum Member

Welcome to the club.

It's not so bad.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

And yet here he is again! Lookie now what scooter is up to...Financial Martial Law. the ability to void all elected officials positions in communities that don;t meet his standards. These elected officials will be replaced with appointed Czars who may be public officials or corporate appointees. So much for the democratic process, so much for freedom, so much for representative government.

I would suspect this one may make it all the way to the US Supreme Court if the little dic(k)tator tries to implement it.
    Maybe it's not too late

the 4-1-4

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/120058874.html

MILWAUKEE - Wisconsin Republican Governor Scott Walker says that a blog story published on Forbes.com about reported planning for a new bill which would force local governments into what the story called, "a financial stress test with an eye towards permitting the governor to take over municipalities that fail to meet with Walker's approval," is not the case.

"No truth to it whatsoever. Absolutely a bogus story," Walker claimed on Newsradio 620 WTMJ's "Midday with Charlie Sykes."

"Absolutely false. The interesting part is that it's false in both contexts. One: There's nobody on my staff, nobody in my administration, I'm certainly not working anything remotely close to that. Secondly, it begins with the fact that he said the next Democratic assault. I'd like to know what the first one was."

Forum Member

Yep, care to show me where during his campaign he said publicly that he intended to decimate collective bargaining and attack public employee's Unions?

My point? He is a devious, back room, politician and I don't believe a single thing he says. Well, other than finally admitting to a Congressional panel that his Union busting schemes save NO MONEY and have NO EFFECT on the budget.

He is BAD for the state and his plans have done NOTHING but cost the state more money. I find it hysterical that those of you that support his money saving schemes have no problem with him double spending on security for him by hiring Wackenhut security forces. But then again, you did allow him to waste that same amount of money when he was county exec didn't you?
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

He's done a masterful job of being a uniter. That being a unifying force that will force special elections to recall four sitting GOP state senators.

If I were president (or chairman or whatever) of the WI Dem party, I'd be sending Walker a HUGE thank you note.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Thread Information