1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber
    fieldseng2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    826

    Default NY Roof Hook/Multi-Purpose Hook

    I've found a few threads/posts about the NY Roof hook/Multi-Purpose Hook.

    We've recently acquired the 4' version with D-handle. Most of the guys arent sure about all its uses.

    I'm looking for some online instructional video, anyone know where I can find some? I've done a search, but either my computer or I'm is in the stuck on stupid mode and can't seem to find any.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,060

    Default

    It isn't a real complicated tool. Pretty much anything a pike pole would be used for, it will do better.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  3. #3
    55 Years & Still Rolling
    hwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....
    Posts
    10,739

    Thumbs up Yep...........

    We have them, and they get work on a regular Basis. One thing that they do well is pull down "Plaster on Wood Lath" type interior Wall Covering...... They're also fairly easy to use on Tin items like Ductwork, old Tin Ceilings, Etc.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

    IACOJ Budget Analyst

    I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

    www.gdvfd18.com

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,109

    Default

    I apologize if this seems obvious but please don't have your guys drive that tool into a ceiling or wall while holding the D-handle. That is a good way to hurt your wrist if you hit a stud or rafter. Any tool like that should always be driven with both hands on the shaft.

    Both my career and volly FD's have FDNY Roof Hooks and we use them interchangeably with pike poles. Finding that most of the firefighters prefer and will grab the Roof Hooks first.

    My volunteer FD has quite a variety of hooks from the traditional pike pole in various lengths to the San Francisco Pike, Boston Rake, and the LA Rubbish Hook. We have used them all on occasion and for the right task they all work fantastic.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fieldseng2 View Post
    I've found a few threads/posts about the NY Roof hook/Multi-Purpose Hook.

    We've recently acquired the 4' version with D-handle. Most of the guys arent sure about all its uses.

    I'm looking for some online instructional video, anyone know where I can find some? I've done a search, but either my computer or I'm is in the stuck on stupid mode and can't seem to find any.

    Thanks.
    A TRUE NY Roof Hook is 4-8' has the hook on one end and a pry adze on the other. NO D handle.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 02-19-2011 at 04:07 PM.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    A TRUE NY Roof Hook is 6-8' has the hook on one end and a pry adze on the other. NO D handle.
    My volly FD has a 4 foot with D-Handle, 6 footers with either a gas shut off or the pry/chisel type end, and 8 and 10 footers with the pry/chisel type end.

    My career FD has 6 footers with the "Ram knob" end.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  7. #7
    Let's talk fire trucks!
    BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    A TRUE NY Roof Hook is 4-8' has the hook on one end and a pry adze on the other. NO D handle.
    True dat. We're using them at work and the volly house too...I can't imagine using a D-handle version of the hook. Don't let it get you hurt!
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    A TRUE NY Roof Hook is 4-8' has the hook on one end and a pry adze on the other. NO D handle.
    Yup, thats the one we have.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    My volly FD has a 4 foot with D-Handle, 6 footers with either a gas shut off or the pry/chisel type end, and 8 and 10 footers with the pry/chisel type end.

    My career FD has 6 footers with the "Ram knob" end.
    Like EVERY other tool,they've been bastardized! Look,I don't make this schit up and I KNOW they come in several "flavors". The one I posted is the TRUE/ORIGINAL NY ROOF Hook. I have several of the other types on our rig as well. I've got 'em in 6,8,and 12's.Plus D ring closet hooks,Boston rakes,etc. There is enough stuff on the Ladder to work an Engine company and FOUR Truck companies. Tools,I GOT! T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 10-22-2010 at 08:36 PM.

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I apologize if this seems obvious but please don't have your guys drive that tool into a ceiling or wall while holding the D-handle. That is a good way to hurt your wrist if you hit a stud or rafter. Any tool like that should always be driven with both hands on the shaft.
    BUMP
    Couldn't agree more on this. Didn't realize this the first time I used one. Hand was sore for a week.

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    len1582's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    N.J.
    Posts
    1,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fieldseng2 View Post

    We've recently acquired the 4' version with D-handle. Most of the guys arent sure about all its uses.
    4ft version works good in a basement with a 6-7ft ceiling. Also to hold the hood up on a car.
    6ft D-handles are good on a roof. Gives you something to hold onto when pulling the cut back. And when pushing down the ceiling after, hold the head pushing the D handle down into the hole and it knocks the ceiling down pretty good.

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    VinnieB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    On the couch in my skivvies
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    A TRUE NY Roof Hook is 4-8' has the hook on one end and a pry adze on the other. NO D handle.
    Actually....a "true NY Roof Hook" comes in various sizes...most common..is 6-12' and is called a Haligan Hook and comes with either a pry or punch end. I guess putting FDNY in the catalog sells more....

    Its used much like your standard hook....but you can pry with it...where as most wood or garbage fiberglass will break. This hook however; will bend. Its used in NYC on the Roof and OV positions. Its great for prying up just about anything you can find on a roof....mainly, tounge and groove roof material, vents, scuttle covers and skylights...etc etc. When pulling plaster and lathe....use the pry end for a purchase and then pieces that hole....otherwise you'll just spend too much enegry getting through.
    IACOJ Member

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post
    Actually....a "true NY Roof Hook" comes in various sizes...most common..is 6-12' and is called a Haligan Hook and comes with either a pry or punch end. I guess putting FDNY in the catalog sells more....

    Its used much like your standard hook....but you can pry with it...where as most wood or garbage fiberglass will break. This hook however; will bend. Its used in NYC on the Roof and OV positions. Its great for prying up just about anything you can find on a roof....mainly, tounge and groove roof material, vents, scuttle covers and skylights...etc etc. When pulling plaster and lathe....use the pry end for a purchase and then pieces that hole....otherwise you'll just spend too much enegry getting through.
    Bless you my son! Hehe T.C.

  14. #14
    55 Years & Still Rolling
    hwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....
    Posts
    10,739

    Thumbs up Umm..........

    We have all 3 (Adz, Gas Shutoff, D Handle) different Ends, and nobody has had any problems with them that I'm aware of......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

    IACOJ Budget Analyst

    I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

    www.gdvfd18.com

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber
    fieldseng2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    826

    Default

    So really the "hook" (not the straight part) is used for grabbing things like pulling down fire escapes, raking thru debris during overhaul, and/or used as leverage like a fulcrum when prying up floor boards or roofing planks....?

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Like EVERY other tool,they've been bastardized! Look,I don't make this schit up and I KNOW they come in several "flavors". The one I posted is the TRUE/ORIGINAL NY ROOF Hook. I have several of the other types on our rig as well. I've got 'em in 6,8,and 12's.Plus D ring closet hooks,Boston rakes,etc. There is enough stuff on the Ladder to work an Engine company and FOUR Truck companies. Tools,I GOT! T.C.

    Golly, gosh. YAY?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  17. #17
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Louis City Mo
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Fields Call me when you get a chance I will PM you my number I have some video's for you and I carry a 4ft one when I work. I love it so much better then a Pike Pole I wish I had a six foot one as well.

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,060

    Default

    There is a good video floating around from I believe Durham, NC of a truckie pulling ceiling with a roof hook. Quite obviously shows the advantage over a pike pole.

    Found it: http://thebravestonline.com/news.html?view=1&id=19345
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    len1582's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    N.J.
    Posts
    1,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fieldseng2 View Post
    So really the "hook" (not the straight part) is used for grabbing things like pulling down fire escapes, raking thru debris during overhaul, and/or used as leverage like a fulcrum when prying up floor boards or roofing planks....?
    You can use it for whatever you want. It's your tool.

  20. #20
    MembersZone Subscriber
    fieldseng2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    826

    Default

    I get it does all the things a regular pike pole can do (ceilings/walls, raking thru debris, etc), some cases its better. Just curious what you else Brothers can use over another tool.

  21. #21
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Golly, gosh. YAY?
    Look at it like the Squad you're building up. WITH EXTRAS,hehe T.C.

  22. #22
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fieldseng2 View Post
    I've found a few threads/posts about the NY Roof hook/Multi-Purpose Hook.

    We've recently acquired the 4' version with D-handle. Most of the guys arent sure about all its uses.

    I'm looking for some online instructional video, anyone know where I can find some? I've done a search, but either my computer or I'm is in the stuck on stupid mode and can't seem to find any.

    Thanks.
    Is an instructional video on this basic of a tool necessary?

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoFireGeeks View Post
    Is an instructional video on this basic of a tool necessary?
    Modern day fire service...

  24. #24
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beastfighter View Post
    Modern day fire service...
    Pull ceiling? Whats that?

  25. #25
    MembersZone Subscriber
    fieldseng2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    826

    Default

    Is an instructional video on this basic of a tool necessary?
    I dunno if it is or not...i was asked to find one. Ya, I know it's a basic tool. What I think the guys here wanna see is what can it do that a regular pike cant. Honestly,we dont see this particular tool very often...It's not standard issue around here. Every dept Ive worked for/with has never had this tool...just the standard pike pole.

    So I guess since there is no one around here to say...."oh ya...you can do this, this , and that with this hook vs. your old fashion pike pole"...thats prob why they wanna at least watch sumthin that shows all its uses. There are some guys around here that even think the halligan is a worthless tool....so now you have some kind of idea what Im dealing with.

    Sorry "NoFireGeeks" I'm not as smart or as experienced as you with this tool, just lookin for some support (ie teaching aid) to help me show my guys how to use this tool. Sometimes its takes more than just me trying to elucidate a new idea, tactic, piece of equipment, or in this case...a new tool to us.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2010 afg
    By elk1544 in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-22-2009, 07:15 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 07-04-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2005, 11:47 PM
  3. Questions & Answers about Roof Removal w/Airbags
    By rmoore in forum University of Extrication
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2001, 07:16 PM
  4. Advice on Roof Removal with Roof Airbags
    By rmoore in forum University of Extrication
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-24-2001, 10:51 PM
  5. Thermal Imaging SOG's
    By wtfd92 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-27-2001, 08:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register