MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pump maint prior to annual test

Anyone have a spec or list of items you use as a standard for pump maint. prior to annual pump test?

Former chief has used same traveling firm/fire mechanic for several years to do annual apparatus maint followed by pump test. At least in theory, they check "whatever needs checking" nonautomotive. If it leaks they fix it. We have local diesel shop do automotive annual maint and DOT safety inspection ahead of time.

Looking at we're getting what we need/pay for. We have not given them a listing of what we want or a report of what they did (beyond parts invoice).

We do minor work thru the year ourselves.

Received a recent quote for maint/test that was twice what we have been spending. Something is different.

Forum Member

We also use a third party to do pump tests per NFPA. However, I do pull all pumpers twice a year to keep up with the maintenance on them. I have a list that I go through to make sure everything is in working order. Here's a somewhat lengthy list, that I do.

Transfer valve: Check lights and operation. Check psi changes on master gauge. Check that the manual drive works freely.

Tank fill valve: Operation and lube.

Governor/PRV: Check and clean screen and pitot end. Back flush several times at 150psi with screen removed. Check lights when it is open and closed. Recovery time when opened to closed.

Zinc Anodes: Replaced annually.

Gauges: Make sure all intake and discharge gauges are in working order. Make sure the intake gauge can hold vacuum.

Intake screens: Checked for broken wires for the 2 1/2, and checked for corrosion or worn zinc screens on the master intakes.

Pump packing: No more than 30 drops a minute when not running, and max of 100 drops when in pump mode.

Primer: Check operation and fill lube tank. Check to make sure water is being dumped, and not just a running primer motor. Check that it can pull and hold a vacuum.

Transfer case: Check fluid level and clarity. Change annually.

Pump bearing: Drain and check for water, refill. Or, lube as necessary.

Pump heater: Check for motor/fans are in working order, and it DOES heat up while running. Clean grill if needed.

Pump Overheat: Check and test. Propane torch with due diligence on the sensor works well.

Foam system: Remove and clean screen. Test and calibrate. Check one way valves.

Valves: Either intake or discharge, including tank to pump. Check for leakage. Same with drain valves.

Pump: Nothing is more forgiving than doing a good and thorough back flush.

I've omitted other tasks, but you get the idea.

Related items on a pump test includes the tranny. Make sure it is up to par. If it hasn't had a fluid and filter change in the last year, do it now. Same with the engine fluids. Also make sure you have good air flow across all the coolers in front of the radiator.

Sorry for the long post, just covering the basics.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks. I want a check list that is OUR SOP I can give to outside maint/testing vendor.

You change the engine oil/filter and transmission fluid/filter annually? Is that based on hours of use being high or just annual item.

DOD (and many trucklines) only change oil/fluid when sampling says needed. We (and much of the fire service) fut relatively very very few hours on our engine/trans. Though when pumping is at relatively sustained heavy load.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a couple of trucks that get less than 500 miles a year on them and very few hours on them. They get the engine oil changed every year, pump gear box oil every year and transmission every other year.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa
    Thanks. I want a check list that is OUR SOP I can give to outside maint/testing vendor.

You change the engine oil/filter and transmission fluid/filter annually? Is that based on hours of use being high or just annual item.

DOD (and many trucklines) only change oil/fluid when sampling says needed. We (and much of the fire service) fut relatively very very few hours on our engine/trans. Though when pumping is at relatively sustained heavy load.
    Tranny is done annually, just before we have the pump tests done. Engine oil and filter, and fuel filters are done twice a year. Most rigs average about 12K miles a year. By the time you add the idle/pump time, it is higher. We know and understand the sampling system. Problem is, it is to keep maintenance costs down. We do send out samples on the second LOF to make sure we don't have bearing or coolant problems/contamination.

I'm a little confused on what you said in the first sentence. Do you want or need a checklist that you can do, or what you expect the testers to do. If you are concerned about what the tester will check and do, have them send you a complete checklist of what their SOP is for pump testing. Everything they check and test should follow NFPA pump testing rules.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Anyone have a spec or list of items you use as a standard for pump maint. prior to annual pump test?
    I'm confused, do you only want to make sure the pump passes it's test once a year? We have them tested as they sit, no extra maintenance, just the way they'd be used. Making sure everything is all set just before the test makes it seem as if the rest of the year pump operation is less important?

Of course I know none of us want to pay any more than necessary so if you find issues prior to a third party things are may go smoother? In that sense, I can understand a pre-test test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    We also use a third party to do pump tests per NFPA. However, I do pull all pumpers twice a year to keep up with the maintenance on them. I have a list that I go through to make sure everything is in working order. Here's a somewhat lengthy list, that I do.

FM1
    An excellent list.

I am in total agreement except the third party test where it applies to the smaller departments that may only encounter a couple of serious fires a year. In those cases I believe that carefully performing and documenting the annual test is great training. Additionally, knowing exactly what the test requires alerts the entire membership of what kind of upkeep needs to be done on a regular basis.

ISO will give the same credit to the department and they save money in the process.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    I'm confused, do you only want to make sure the pump passes it's test once a year? We have them tested as they sit, no extra maintenance, just the way they'd be used. Making sure everything is all set just before the test makes it seem as if the rest of the year pump operation is less important?

Of course I know none of us want to pay any more than necessary so if you find issues prior to a third party things are may go smoother? In that sense, I can understand a pre-test test.
    Anytime during the year a pump gets written up for a issue it is addressed then (repaired). About a month before pump test, we vacuum test the pump, repair any valves that are leaking, lube the valves, check the gauges for correct readings, check anodes and screens and replace if needed, adjust packing if needed, and check gearbox oil.

After all trucks have been through the above and all repairs have been made we do another vacuum test and then the pump test. After pump test the gearbox oil is changed, pump is lubed and any repair that need to be made is done.

We do all of our repair's in house as well as our pump testing.

Thread Information