Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Firefighter Response System

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    We've been using IAR for a few years. For the most part we're happy with it.

The usefullness of the responding feature is depends on how many people use it.. I think we have about 50% adoption but some still refuse or forget to call when they're coming up for calls.
    This is typically a product of how the system is rolled out to the membership. If rolled out merely as a voluntary system ("hey, here's something you might want to use"), it takes longer for a higher % of the members to start using it.

If rolled out with a clear explanation of how it will be relied on by the officers for decision making, and about how it can reduce response times, the member buy-in is usually higher and faster.

Most typically, when a member misses a truck that might have waited if they knew the person was on their way, that's usually the last time that they don't call into the system.

Feel free to give our customer service team a call, and we'll help you with some ways in which to improve your member usage. 315-701-1372.

--Dan Seidberg (DSeidberg@emergencysmc.com)

Forum Member

One question for those who have set up stations in your bays.. how do you handle logging into the system? We have the same setup but it requires that someone manually log in any time the computer is rebooted.. I've tried to set it up to automatically log in but there's no easy way short of modifying their javascript.
    Couple of things on this:

1. If you lose your internet connection, IamResponding will restore you to your logged in session automatically as soon as your internet connection comes back up. You will not get bounced out of the system by a loss of internet connection.

2. Your re-boots are likely being caused by periodic generator tests? If your computer that is running this system is plugged into a battery back-up, that will keep it powered up during the generator tests, and keep it from having to re-boot.

3. Re-boots could also be cause by automatic back-ups, which require re-boots to take effect, and the re-boots often happen automatically. You should disable the automatic updates function, and just run them manually from time to time.

4. Many of our users also deal with re-boots by using some form of scripting software, which will log you back into IamResponding automatically. One such system is called Macro Pro Plus, which is available quite cheaply online.

Feel free to contact our technical support team at support@emergencysmc.com with any further questions about this.

--Dan Seidberg (DSeidberg@emergencysmc.com)

One question for those who have set up stations in your bays.. how do you handle logging into the system? We have the same setup but it requires that someone manually log in any time the computer is rebooted.. I've tried to set it up to automatically log in but there's no easy way short of modifying their javascript.
    We have a separate computer for the IAR system, no updates, no other work on it, so the reboots on it are extremely rare. We created a generic login and that is what the station computer is logged in as. The startup folder on the computer loads the internet page and the first guy to notice logs in with the generic one.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    We have a separate computer for the IAR system, no updates, no other work on it, so the reboots on it are extremely rare. We created a generic login and that is what the station computer is logged in as. The startup folder on the computer loads the internet page and the first guy to notice logs in with the generic one.
    We have the same setup.. Not sure what is causing the IAR window to close.. reboots due to windows updates, power failures (probably not, UPS), or someone closing the IE window to run Pandora in the engine bay..

Again, not a big deal and certainly not a deal-breaker. Just annoying, especially when its usually noticed by the first guy coming in for a call
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dseidberg View Post
    4. Many of our users also deal with re-boots by using some form of scripting software, which will log you back into IamResponding automatically. One such system is called Macro Pro Plus, which is available quite cheaply online.
    I believe we had pinged your CS about this possible enhancement and were given the same recommendation. While windows/mouse-click macros would work, we were looking for a solution that did not involve additional software.

Based on this thread it appears there are a lot of other users that run IAR in a kiosk fashion. That may warrant giving the enhancement another look. Something as simple as a checking a persistent cookie before poping up the login-dialog would suffice. I admit this is a low-priority annoyance but it appears it may be useful for a number of users.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

We responded to a reported structure fire this morning. 11 firefighters responded, only 2 logged in with their cel phone.

We need to do better than that or it's just a waste of time and money.
    My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

Quote Originally Posted by Blulakr View Post
    We responded to a reported structure fire this morning. 11 firefighters responded, only 2 logged in with their cel phone.

We need to do better than that or it's just a waste of time and money.
    This is the rub...

I'm a culprit. 25 years without the service, it's hard to get in the habit. Hell, it's hard enough to remember to bring my phone for a call at all, let alone dial in.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

The usefullness of the responding feature is depends on how many people use it.. I think we have about 50% adoption but some still refuse or forget to call when they're coming up for calls.

We too have been using Iamresponding.com for about 2.5 years now. Very great system and to prevent the problems voyager had, we just simply started leaving without them.

If they didn't use the system, we didnt wait, end of story. All it took for a few of them was to start missing the first engine out and that solved the problem and they began using it.

Our department's officers all rely on the system now to set their crew in the station and get on the rig and go. It is great to know who you have on their way. We are extremely happy with the service and reliability of the system.

Last point, as for the calling and driving- I can usually call and hang up before I out of my bedroom and down the stairs..it answers quickly and then I hang up (it goes to my present station).

Disclaimer- I do not work for the company, or recieve support to give good feedback. Simply a great product though and we will continue to utilize it.

Forum Member

Default Firefighter Response System

Hello everyone,

This is Craig Schurter, founder of Advanced First Responder Solutions; provider of the Firefighter Response System.

A little late to the discussion, but thought I'd chime in….

I agree with the concerns about driving and talking on the phone. We don't advocate talking on the phone and driving, and as such you'll find that our system enables you to push just one button and you're registered as responding… no matter how many stations you have or whether or not you allow personnel to go directly to the incident via POV or your response is delayed. If your department has more than one station, you don't need to follow a phone tree to register your response, we have a toll free number for each individual station. This enables you to truly only have to press one button to register your response, no matter what station you are responding to, if you are delayed, or if you are going POV.

This method is a bit more expensive for us but we believe it's well worth the added cost for the the value in safety it provides. Growing up in a family devoted to the fire service, and being a volunteer firefighter and resident firefighter for over five years taught me the value of safety. We are proud to be the pioneers in this innovative technology and we work hard to provide a system that is safe and easy to use.

One other point I wanted to clarify, in regards to pricing. Our pricing has not increased sense we launched the service over 3 years ago.

I'd be happy to visit with any of you, please don't hesitate to reach out…we're here to help. 877.274.2377

Sincerely,
    Craig Schurter
    craigs [at] advancedfrs.com

After a small review of IAR and FFRS, are there any other companies out there that provide the same type of service?
    Last edited by 200FireFighter; 12-13-2010 at 01:50 PM.

With IAR, how many users can you have or is it just by however many are entered into your system? What's the cost of it?

We get texts that go along with our pagers and siren. It would be sweet to be able to reply to a text and hit a number for the option you want.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rice09 View Post
    With IAR, how many users can you have or is it just by however many are entered into your system? What's the cost of it?

We get texts that go along with our pagers and siren. It would be sweet to be able to reply to a text and hit a number for the option you want.
    Thank you for your question about pricing. With IamResponding.com, it does not matter how many members you have. There is an annual subscription fee paid by the department. Smaller departments (those dispatched to fewer than 100 events per year) pay a reduced fee; all others pay the same fee, regardless of the number of members. The longer you subscribe, the cheaper it gets per year.

60 day trials are completely free, with no obligation or commitment.

A link to the pricing page is here: http://www.iamresponding.com/v3/Page...x?contentID=19

I understand what you are saying about replying to a text, but text message delivery is simply not yet at a point where it can be considered reliable and timely enough for emergency communications. With IamResponding.com, you simply hit a speed dial button on your phone. As soon as you are connected, you are assured that your information will post on a screen at your station (and anywhere else that it is monitored) within no more than 2.5 seconds.

We crossed over a threshold this week of more than 70,000 emergency responders currently subscribed to IamResponding.com. IamResponding.com was the first to ever offer this type of service, and our proven system reliability is without equal.

Please feel free to contact us with any other questions, at any time, at 315-701-1372, or through the "contact us" page on our website at www.IamResponding.com.

Thank you,
    Dan Seidberg
    President, IamResponding.com

Forum Member

Default Old Dogs, New Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    . 25 years without the service, it's hard to get in the habit. Hell, it's hard enough to remember to bring my phone for a call at all, let alone dial in.
    We have an electronic system for dispatch called 'page-gate'. Dispatch sends a regular radio page and then sends a text message broadcast to all of our cell phones. So if we are away from our radios then we get the text page.

As far as IAR or any system like that, all of our firefighters have radios. As an officer, after the page I listen to who checks 10-8. This takes very little time and I know exactly who is coming.

It wasnt very long ago we had 4 radios and all minotaur IV pagers. But in the brave new world of grant funding, every department should be able to have communications for every man.

My opinion only. Worth what you paid for it.

Forum Member

Default Spotted Dog Technologies

As you do your research, I would ask that you consider Spotted Dog Technologies' Rover System (http://www.spotteddogtech.com).

Rover was conceived, designed and developed based on my 26 years of experience in the fire service and more than 20 years of software development experience.

I would be happy to answer and specific questions that you have, drop me a note (ggiordan at spotteddogtech.com)

Geoffrey Giordano
    Spotted Dog Technologies
    FF1, FF2, HMO, FSI1

Quote Originally Posted by 200FireFighter View Post
    After a small review of IAR and FFRS, are there any other companies out there that provide the same type of service?

Forum Member

I believe we had pinged your CS about this possible enhancement and were given the same recommendation. While windows/mouse-click macros would work, we were looking for a solution that did not involve additional software.

Based on this thread it appears there are a lot of other users that run IAR in a kiosk fashion. That may warrant giving the enhancement another look. Something as simple as a checking a persistent cookie before poping up the login-dialog would suffice. I admit this is a low-priority annoyance but it appears it may be useful for a number of users.
    This would be something that would be awesome if it were fixed. In the interim, I put together something that others are free to try/use/do whatever with. I call it "KioskKicker" which handles the automated login (until the system is fixed to persist login information).

You can find out more about it here (please be gentle! it is a bit rough solution but it's free and I haven't had too much time to pretty it up):

http://www.badgenumber.com/wordpress...iamresponding/

We use and love IAmResponding where I am, and now that I have this thing running on our kiosks in our stations, I can rest easy on a windy day

If you have questions or comments, there is a comment form on the web site. I hope this can be of help out there until a permanent solution is implemented.

Forum Member

KioskKicker is great! Thank you!

We use a brand new technology called two way radio. Really great way to hear from everyone who is enroute, (all done over our private channel) and to give last minute instructions if one of the Chiefs wants to change something up while enroute.

Very non-distracting, and If I don't hear from you, I am pretty sure you are not going to be there!

Morning all,

We've recently subscribed to one of the systems mentioned in this thread. An issue was raised that we now have a TV on 24/7 where the picture changes very infrequently and there is concern about the image being burned into the TV screen and ruining our nice new TV. Anyone have a recommendation on how to prevent this? I thought I read someplace online that someone hooked up a motion detector to a mouse cable, but I couldn't find that article. The idea being that the computer goes into sleep mode and turns off the TV and then wakes up when there is a call and someone goes by the computer on the way to their gear locker.

~Skojo
    Last edited by Skojo; 07-13-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Forum Member

Ordered Firetextresponse. Has a responding function with equipment/software that receives your radio page (VHF/UHF/etc) and then send a text page alert to cellphones. Then sends a second text which smart phone users can dial in and playback the actual radio page voice message. So two very useful functions. and annual cost for a small FD is only $250/yr (need to buy their equipment)

Only package I could find that had both functions. Other "who is coming" packages I looked are $250/yr or higher.
    Jake1438 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skojo View Post
    Morning all,

We've recently subscribed to one of the systems mentioned in this thread. An issue was raised that we now have a TV on 24/7 where the picture changes very infrequently and there is concern about the image being burned into the TV screen and ruining our nice new TV. Anyone have a recommendation on how to prevent this? I thought I read someplace online that someone hooked up a motion detector to a mouse cable, but I couldn't find that article. The idea being that the computer goes into sleep mode and turns off the TV and then wakes up when there is a call and someone goes by the computer on the way to their gear locker.

~Skojo
    Newer flat screen TV's don't get image burn like the old tube TV's.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information