Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Please take my survey........................ .................

Hey, guys, my name is Justin and I live in Oklahoma City. I am doing a project for school and could use y'alls help. Please take my survey.....if possible please fill out as many of the "why" sections as possible. I need as many people from across the country to give honest opinions as EMS systems are different everywhere we go.....thanks so much to those that take the survey.

I have posted this on a few other forums with lots of good feedback. I am also open to any opinions you have on here,,,,,,thanks!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/J2GR6RR

You might want to rethink your survey. You've lumped a whole lot of different service types into "3rd Service." You essentially just have Fire based EMS versus "everything else."

* police based EMS
    * 3rd agency government operated EMS
    * hybrid government/volunteer/private EMS
    * community volunteer based EMS
    * private for-profit EMS
    * private non-profit EMS

I'm sure I've missed other alternatives...
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

There are no "y'alls" here...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Default Y'alls

Obviously you've never been to Texas....
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    Obviously you've never been to Texas....
    Or anywhere else south of Yankee ville Y'alls come from places that serve sweet tea, not tea with a package of sweetener
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?Ē (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

I've been to Texas... transferring to connecting flights out of Houston and DFW...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    You might want to rethink your survey. You've lumped a whole lot of different service types into "3rd Service." You essentially just have Fire based EMS versus "everything else."

* police based EMS
    * 3rd agency government operated EMS
    * hybrid government/volunteer/private EMS
    * community volunteer based EMS
    * private for-profit EMS
    * private non-profit EMS

I'm sure I've missed other alternatives...

You make a good point but, for the purposes of the survey and the project, I will only be looking at fire transport vs. private for-profit EMS. It might be easy to say that this is not fair as there are more options besides just FD vs private however, #1 this is the most common comparison in metro areas across this country that are debating this topic right now and #2 a study can function just fine comparing only 2 options when there are several others to choose from.

Forum Member

Thanks so much to those that have already taken the survey. Your replies are giving me extremely valuable information.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    I've been to Texas... transferring to connecting flights out of Houston and DFW...

See, we ship you carpetbaggers back north pretty quick down here!

MembersZone Subscriber

Call be paranoid, but I smell a fake.

Oklahoma City has a private-for-profit ambulance provider, EMSA (Emergency Medical Services Authority). EMSA is actually a "non-profit" provider, with staffing and billing handleded by a for-profit sub-contractor. They also receive payments from the cities they serve in the greater metropolitan area for providing the service.

Every few years Oklahoma City has the option of reviewing the status of the agreement with EMSA and decide if they want to keep the current model or turn it over to the fire department. Currently such a review is in progress.

Given the fact that the review is currently in progress, and after looking at the survey and thinking about the way the questions are written and the wording that is used, I honestly suspect that we may not be given the real story here.

Sorry if you are truly just a student who may be doing a research project, but this smells fishy.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post

Sorry if you are truly just a student who may be doing a research project, but this smells fishy.
    HAHA! I can see the connection there but I can assure you I do not have any ulterior motive. I actually was once employed with EMSA as well as their sister company in St Pete, FL called Sunstar (part-time). They are both authorities as you mentioned and they both contract out to Paramedics Plus, Inc. I can assure you that EMSA/Paramedics Plus is 100% for-profit. Anyway, I just moved here to OKC from St Pete but I am still a student at St Petersburg College. This is a bachelor program called Public Safety Administration with an emphasis on EMS. I graduate in December and this is my final project. Oddly enough, I was NOT allowed to choose my research topic.

For full disclosure......I am now a full-time EMS instructor and work part-time for a hospital-based non-profit EMS agency in Norman called EMSSTAT. I was a firefighter/paramedic in Florida for 7 years prior to moving to OKC.....so I have seen EMS from many viewpoints and I am not particularly biased towards any one system. The purpose of the survey is to help me explore other avenues of information as well as provide a substantial subjective viewpoint of EMS professionals around the country.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firemedichunter View Post
    HAHA! I can see the connection there but I can assure you I do not have any ulterior motive. I actually was once employed with EMSA as well as their sister company in St Pete, FL called Sunstar (part-time). They are both authorities as you mentioned and they both contract out to Paramedics Plus, Inc. I can assure you that EMSA/Paramedics Plus is 100% for-profit. Anyway, I just moved here to OKC from St Pete but I am still a student at St Petersburg College. This is a bachelor program called Public Safety Administration with an emphasis on EMS. I graduate in December and this is my final project. Oddly enough, I was NOT allowed to choose my research topic.

For full disclosure......I am now a full-time EMS instructor and work part-time for a hospital-based non-profit EMS agency in Norman called EMSSTAT. I was a firefighter/paramedic in Florida for 7 years prior to moving to OKC.....so I have seen EMS from many viewpoints and I am not particularly biased towards any one system. The purpose of the survey is to help me explore other avenues of information as well as provide a substantial subjective viewpoint of EMS professionals around the country.
    Good disclosure, you are probably familiar with the issues between Oklahoma City/OKC FD/EMSA then. I've worked for EMSA in the past as well. Between all the parties involved you can probably understand my feeling that backhanded information gathering would not be that surprising. I would have no problem with any of the parties collecting this data, as long as they are honest with who is collecting it and why. I do feel better about the survey now.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

Seperate question:

Is Sunstar the company that had the "backing incident" that resulted in the strict policy at Paramedics Plus requiring somebody to back you up all the time?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Seperate question:

Is Sunstar the company that had the "backing incident" that resulted in the strict policy at Paramedics Plus requiring somebody to back you up all the time?
    Sort of......the backing policies for all EMS/FD agencies are a no-brainer.....it costs a lot of money well people constantly back into things......

Sunstar had a problem once when an EMT drove around the corner of headquarters too fast and ran over and killed a materials employee......that prompted lots of stop signs and 5 mph speed limits at headquarters

Survey taken. Good luck to you.
    IAFF

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Survey taken. Good luck to you.
    When are you giving it back?
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    When are you giving it back?
    I can't, my dog ate it. Didn't have the heart to tell him.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    I can't, my dog ate it. Didn't have the heart to tell him.
    That's not good......my paper's due Dec 1...try and get it back by then...

Quote Originally Posted by firemedichunter View Post
    I'm sure it'll be out by Tuesday.
    IAFF

Originally Posted by firemedichunter
    Originally posted by Snowball
    I'm sure it'll be out by Tuesday

The answers might be tad crappy...
    PS to firemedichunter... survey taken.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information