Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default TNT BFC-320 Cutting the Uncuttable?

New Videos of the TNT BFC-320 cutting through 2 B post that supposedly can not be cut by any other Hydraulic Rescue Tool on the market.

2010 Subaru B Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MeypjKRcx0

2010 Mitsubishi Lancer B Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaqCFgfguEA
    Last edited by littleguy85; 10-25-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Forum Member

That Mitsubishi post was tried by a handful of other cutters and no luck. One of the cutters that tired a couple times, highest nfpa rated cutter (fancy), couldn't do it. And on one of the times they hooked it right up to the pump. haha now thats funny
    Last edited by rmoore; 10-26-2010 at 09:56 PM.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Anyhoo, we're impressed with the BFC we have at the VFD.
    Last edited by rmoore; 10-26-2010 at 09:57 PM.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

I have been involved in the past with the trialing of various hydraulic rescue equipment on brand new vehicles for that year ranging from Ford to Jaguar.We tested Clan Lukas, Holmatro, Resq tec, Amkus, amogst others but never TNT.We decided overall that Holmatro ruled.However, recently in my department here, one of the volly departments had TNT and I used it first hand on an auto extrication.I would have to say that TNT impressed me, equal to if not better than Holmatro Heavy rescue cutting tools ( not the battery type or combi).I am sure if TNT were in the mix back then Im sure we would have gone with them

Forum Member

Default lol

champion cut that post first a year ago then gave it to them

Forum Member

Seriously, technique is the biggest hindrance in tools today or lack there of. All this high strength low alloy hooey is just that. If it is a HSLA area, move the tool just a few inches and guess what, you are in a different area one that you can now cut. The need for a 320 cutter is a scare tactic, just like the tool that is insulated against hybrid voltage issues. Guarantee you if someone made a hybrid voltage tester that did DC high voltage you could be the next multi millionaire on scare tactics alone.....
    Last edited by rmoore; 10-26-2010 at 09:58 PM.
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

MembersZone Subscriber

When faced with these situations rescuers should “Reposition, Relocate, and Retry” as Ron has indicated in his recent 5 part series on Advanced Metals.

The isssue with the Advanced Metals however is not just a scare tactic being used by the HRT manufacturers. HSLA Steel, Boron Alloys and Martensite are being utilized more than ever in todays vehicles. There are going to be times where the "R,R,R" just won't work and at that point they need to either be able to cut the materials involved or know alternative techniques to work around these advanced metals.
    Last edited by rmoore; 10-26-2010 at 09:59 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ejfeicht View Post
    know alternative techniques to work around these advanced metals.
    See we are on the same page here

Too many times I have seen people in depts claim to be a "extrication technician" only to see them start their scenario in class by doing the Final Destination slam move. I was teaching at a dept a couple years ago when I discussed the scenario and turned my back on the user and I heard "WhAm". I yelled to freeze. The student looked over at me and said "well, how do I get purchase point if I can't slam it". After about 15 minutes of me helping him to understand the issues in a spinal injury I let him re-join the class. There are so many in the rural setting with that kind of mentality that even if they had the "big cutters" they are still doing to be dangerous to the victims they are trying to serve.
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Forum Member

Im with you there man.So many people here in my department dont have a care for pt stability .They just slam that tool in there and hope for the best.So what if it takes a few seconds more to pull some more bodywork out the way to get in there.If it causes less vibration and bangs then its all good as far as im concerned.People extricate with their egos here when it should be a casualty centered aproach.yes, I agree if you have to get them out quick and rapid then a rapid victim removal is appropriate.Otherwise, dont fight it, let the tool do the work,A good drill to do is just have a combi tool or epco kit to use and see how skilled you are then!

Forum Member

Default Training is Number 1 as with everything

Certainly technique and training play a lot into getting someone out safely. But having the ability to cut where you need to the first time saves time and can be the safest thing for the victim.
    To cutaboverest: Champion did cut boron steel posts. Not with one smooth cut thou. They had to re-cut and reposition. You may not be able to position your cutters 90 degrees like they had to. You can watch the video here: http://www.sceneoftheaccident.com/Vi...videoIndex=139
    Also the BFC I believe has been out for well over a yr.

Forum Member

Default mbz clk 500

the a-post they cut in the champion video is a mbz clk 500 not a subie
    that video is how old????????????????????? over 2 years old,,,,,,,champions new beast makes twice the force and makes the same cut like butter

Forum Member

Default lancier post

the lancier post is over 3 years old it was cut in 2007 by Champion first and has been at every major trade show for the last 3 years.......

MembersZone Subscriber

Default It only gets better !

With the increase in UHSS (Ultra High Strength Steel)etc that we are faced with on vehicles today, and the associated problems, guess what, it gets even better, with the development of Carbon nanotubes.

http://www.rtc-rescue.com/page18.htm

Forum Member

Carbon nanotubes

http://www.rtc-rescue.com/page18.htm[/QUOTE]

Its 19 times stronger than advanced boron.

What is it designed to do in a accident?

To cut it with a HRT that is in the mid 40lb range now would weigh 800 lbs. Looks like a cutting torch and a handline
    Last edited by rmoore; 10-26-2010 at 10:01 PM.

Saws. Cutters are approaching their apex. Saw blade technology is still going. If you can't shear it,saw it. Diamond blades will cut many of the UHSS steels. They are a little slower but do a good job. Milwaukee's torch blades cut many Hss posts and again do a good job. Learn all you can,the next 5 years promise to be interesting. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 10-27-2010 at 09:14 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Last edited by rmoore; 10-29-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Forum Member

The webber thing looks a bit like this:

https://www.dualsaw.com/flare/next?t...a_bid=19d598b5

Quote Originally Posted by Capt387 View Post
    The webber thing looks a bit like this:

https://www.dualsaw.com/flare/next?t...a_bid=19d598b5
    Yup,in my haste for power and glory,I didn't specifically mention those. I STILL believe we will require multiple tools to open the upcoming technology. T.C.

Forum Member

Default twin saws what a joke

these saws are for light sheet metal not vehicles...they make the biggest mess and will throw sparks beware

Forum Member

There is one made by milwaukee that doesn't. I used one in a farm class that didn't spark and would cut through a bale spike like butter

Thread Information