Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Just want to know...

Like ive posted before im just seriously looking into being a firefighter but I was thinking the other day when two guys walked in to a fast food joint with pants around their knees thinking that they are "gangstas" and I wondered whether I would want to help them with their friends looking on giving me problems or arresting them to take them in after doing wrong and protecting the law obeying citizens. Now I understand that all people that dress and act like this aren't actually thugs and troublemakers Im just speaking in general. So my question is has anyone else wondered this? Is it hard to deal with people that are like this and don't appreciate anything while you are doing your job? I guess at this point I know that I want to be in civil service and helping people but I guess now I must decide firefighter or police. Any advice at all? Experiences?

Forum Member

Part of the job

You're absolutely right; you can't always judge a book by it's cover!. There are many people that have been harassed and/or "shaken down" by local law enforcement because they were perceived to be in a gang or thug attire. At the end of the day, many of the nation's youth merely engage in wearing a style that is"urban/inner city gear". And it is just that: a style (saggin", baggy pants, long, white t-shirts, fake grills, blingin'...ect..) Most of the time they are just dumb kids, being dumb, when it comes to some of their attitudes! They don't know any better. But in this profession, we don't let our personal predjudices (and everyone has them..let's keep it real!) determine who we serve and who we don't. The best thing to do is come to work and leave those attitudes at home or better yet, in the trash before you get hired!

"The Axeman"

Quote Originally Posted by ccarlin52 View Post
    Like ive posted before im just seriously looking into being a firefighter but I was thinking the other day when two guys walked in to a fast food joint with pants around their knees thinking that they are "gangstas" and I wondered whether I would want to help them with their friends looking on giving me problems or arresting them to take them in after doing wrong and protecting the law obeying citizens. Now I understand that all people that dress and act like this aren't actually thugs and troublemakers Im just speaking in general. So my question is has anyone else wondered this? Is it hard to deal with people that are like this and don't appreciate anything while you are doing your job? I guess at this point I know that I want to be in civil service and helping people but I guess now I must decide firefighter or police. Any advice at all? Experiences?

"LIKE", what are you talking about?

We don't have gangsters or low pants riders in the fire service.

That is at your local macadees.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I've always worked in poor and "ghetto" areas and I prefer it. More often than not.. any area you work people are going to be disrespectful and cause problems (rich or poor). But I find them a lot easier to work with, you don't have to watch what you say as much when they are giving you problems.. where as more well-to-do people tend to call and complain when the fire truck is at the grocery store.

Up to you brother...

Thread Information