Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fdny exam

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fdny exam

I was wondering if anyone knew when the next fdny exam was?

MembersZone Subscriber

you need to check out the FDNY 6019 tread. This will show you the real picture of what is going on with the FDNY hiring right now.

MembersZone Subscriber

wish i had time to look through 10,000 posts but medic school consumes your life plus work and weight lifting to stay in tip top shape for that cpat. was looking for an easy answer anyone thanks

Forum Member

I posted this in another topic, but here we go again;

"Mnaps, this is a sore subject on the forum, a number of us are sitting on the current list and many have been jerked around by the city, the economy, and the Vulcan/DOJ lawsuits so don't take this personally but most people are not in the mood to talk about a new exam, but word from FDNY, some of the guys met with the upper brass, is that a new test is in the works, but it must pass a number of obsticals before it is ready. I think the time frame is 6-12months from now. If you are interested in the job follow the FDNY 6019 forum for what is going on with the current list/upcoming test, the most up-to-date info/rumor/wild guesses are posted there daily."

Forum Member

Default Seriously?

Last edited by shmarleybarlow; 11-06-2010 at 07:58 PM.

Forum Member

^^- ditto! Besides the fact, if your more worried about your medic class you should reconsider the FDNY! You'd have better chances putting your time forth in the military to gain preference and/or studying GED tests. In regards to not having enough time to "look through 10,000 posts", anyone knows if you just simply select "last page" you can figure out by reading 1 post you could answer your own question.
    Last edited by EgressOne; 10-26-2010 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Addition

MembersZone Subscriber

wow, didn't think id get this much **** for asking a simple question as to when a possible exam was going to be held. wasn't trying to step on toes. why are you bashing my nys medic class, going ALS only gives u a better shot at the job. i have pretty much all the courses offered by my county, and cant go further unless i go to the fire academy. this medic class is pretty much opening a huge door for me locally, but they aren't busy like i would like to be. and shmarleybarlow who are u anyways... just another person who wants to be on the list probably,internet tough guy

nyc.gov/fdny

unfortunately you have to check it regularly like the rest of us who got F*cked out of the greatest job on earth, because of circumstances out of our control.
    I should have cleaned up the chili.....why didn't I clean up the chili!!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffkisselstein View Post
    going ALS only gives u a better shot at the job.
    The FDNY has no ALS Engines. So they could care less about your ALS Certs. If the FDNY is your dream job, Medic school is a waste of your time. A Veteran without even an EMT Cert will be picked long before a non Vet Paramedic will. All the FDNY requires to be hired is CFR-D.

The FDNY hiring process is presently in shambles thanks to an organization who promotes racism filing a lawsuit and a judge who is either beyond stupid and/or taking bribes from this racist organization. It will sadly be years before all this gets sorted out so i would not hold your breath for getting on the FDNY.

Joining the military and getting Veteran status and then having a residence in NYC combined with scoring high on the written and PAT would be your only sure fire way in. And even then it could take years. The FDNY gives points for certain things that give you an edge. Veteran and Resident are huge.

In the interim, i suggest you tone down your posts in anything FDNY related. It is a massive sore spot right now for many, and rightfully so. I have no plans to join the FDNY (Too old and too far away) and even i am angry as hell about what happened to these guys who were cheated out of a carreer based on a BS lawsuit.

Forum Member

The only reason why your receiving negative feedback is because you need to learn how to do things on your own. There are plenty of resources on the Internet available. There is also a search feature on this forum you could have used, if you didnt find what you were looking for then a question about your concerns would have been appropriate. Afterall the people you are asking actually DID take the time and effort to find out the information they were searching for. This is a very competitive career, if your heart is really in it you would do what it takes to find out your answers. Instead of expecting others doing the research for you and just simply handing it away, while they did the legwork. In concerns of your "med card", that won't give you any special treatment to becoming an FDNY firefighter. Firefighters are only CFR-D, which is nowhere near being a paramedic!

MembersZone Subscriber

i know fdny does not have als engines, but where i am from they do. making my self marketable and want to take tests all over.

MembersZone Subscriber

@ the OP, imagine that you manage to get through the entire hiring process, and then score a decent list number, one that gets you maybe a 50/50 chance of getting hired before the list expires. Imagine that you wait 2-3 years or so, with no call. You've done all the calculations to figure out that your list number makes it likely that you'll be in the next class or two. Time's running out, but you might just make the cutoff. The economy tanks, and hiring stalls. When it resumes, your hiring list is challenged, and is basically nullified. Let's also say that you'll be over the age requirement when the next test is set to be offered. The job is the only thing that you've ever wanted to do, you did everything required to get your list #, you thought that you were finally in, and it was abruptly taken away. How would you feel? Maybe that's why no one wants to discuss any upcoming tests, as that represents the opportunity that was taken away from them.

Many have sacrificed a whole lot for a chance, only a chance at the job. Some have been fired for taking too many days off to keep appointments for the hiring process. Some have deferred school. Others have chosen not to pursue other career opportunities to focus on the FDNY. Others still have remained in the area, or moved here for a better shot at the job, despite the exorbitant cost of living and sometimes less than desireable living conditions. Some have nothing else going for them if this job opportunity falls through. That's why no one will show you sympathy when you tell us that you're doing medic school, working out, etc. etc. To top it off, you sais the "E" word, as in "easy" answer. Too many that seek a career in the fire service, let alone the FDNY, want the job basically handed to them with little to no effort on their part. It's another sore point among those looking to get on. Going backdoor into the FDNY via FDNY EMS would be on example of an easy way in.

You think medic school is tough? Do it like I did - working full time in EMS for a NYC 911 participating hospital, supporting a wife and infant daughter, going deeper into debt every day, working OT shifts, and also doing PT several times a week to keep in shape so I could crush the CPAT for depts down South. Do you still live with your parents?

If you feel that you've received a hostile response, realize what's at stake and what others are going through, their sacrifices and all. Also realize that we're all in the fire service, or looking to get in. You're going to get your balls broken a lot. Time to grow some thicker skin.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

MembersZone Subscriber

i know fdny does not have als engines, but where i am from they do. making my self marketable and want to take tests all over.
    I recommend trying the MD/DC/Northern VA area. BTW, in NC the FD and EMS are mostly seperate as well. Go county by county, city by city, find their home page, look for employment or jobs, click on it, and see if their application process is open. Put in the work.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by edpmedic View Post
    I recommend trying the MD/DC/Northern VA area. BTW, in NC the FD and EMS are mostly seperate as well. Go county by county, city by city, find their home page, look for employment or jobs, click on it, and see if their application process is open. Put in the work.
    ^^^ You beat me to the punch! I was going to say about the same as you have posted.

ffkisselstein you have a better chance being hired by any other fire department in the USA than you do with the FDNY. Having said that, if you don't score very high and have veterans points, you might as well be trying to get on elsewhere. You could get a job somewhere else and still apply for the FDNY before you grow too old and may get an appointment.

Everyone who applies for the FDNY and even takes a exam, doesn't get hired.

Since you are from the Empire state, why not try for FD's in the state??

MembersZone Subscriber

i posted this to see if someone maybe knew something about an up coming exam that's all, i know fdny is hard as hell to get into, at the end of the day it would have been to say yea know i took the fdny exam and maybe i didn't get the job but its an opportunity then many people across the US and and the world don't get to do. i have taken exams in central NY where i am from and i am taking this medic class because some of these agencies are ALS engines and do rotations box-engine-truck. i also made a few trips to NC to take exams when i first go into the fire service. i got the opportunity in august to move out of my apartment and move back home with my dad. i left a $50,000 job were i was set for life at the age of 22 to take a $24,000 job to get me by on bills and so my schedule would allow my medic class. last year while my mom was fighting cancer i was at an ambulance corp. study for my basic emt, and never really spent much time with her. about two weeks before we tested out she passed away at the age of 48. i held it together and finished class, one more step toward this chance at the job. so i don't want to hear im taking the easy way out, my journey the last few years has been anything but easy. most people (at the time it was just before my 21st birthday) that seen their mother suffer, and when your home help her to the bathroom and help feed her and bath her and go to her treatments when u can, would have lost it and quit the class. i look back and i missed out on not so fond memories but memories of her non the less. sometime i wanted to quit but she wanted to see me achieve my dream so i kept perusing it. i am finding right now that i am going on about a subject that doesn't really matter to yous but its actually kind of therapeutic i guess to get this off my chest. thank you to those that may have shed some positive info on this post and to those who didn't hope it make you feel warm and fuzzy inside that your probably viewed as a d bag, but non the less stay safe on the fire ground and watch your brothers back

Forum Member

I was wondering if anyone knew when the next fdny exam was?
    A little bird told me they are leaning towards November 2011. People are going to jump all over me for saying that but take it for what its worth.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that they have a draft of a new test and that they are testing it on current fire fighters.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks kylegnyc

Jameson_12
    Firehouse.com Guest

.............................. ...
    Last edited by Jameson_12; 01-26-2011 at 09:58 PM.

Thread Information