Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Pinned Aerial Waterways

Hello all:

How does everyone run their pinned waterways? Rescue or firefighting mode?

Reasons?

Thanks

More for apparatus threads, for the future . Rescue. If you pull up and have people hangin from windows/balconies, I'd be pretty upset if my first in truck had to adjust their waterway before going into service. If you are setting up the pipe for firefighting operations, you've already written the property off (most of the time) and there is not much of a rush at that point. Just my opinion.
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Life, then property.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    Life, then property.
    Haha, thanks for shortening it up Johnny Some have a much better, quicker way with words than I
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

I just flip a switch on the control panel. It's the way of the future. Way of the future. Way of the future. Way of the future. It's the way of the future. Way of the future. Way of the future. It's the way of the future. Way of the future. Way of the future.
    IAFF

Forum Member

sadly most of all ours are keep pinned in attack mode. Apparently after a certain national publication published a picture of one of our sticks flowing water with the aerial in rescue mode. One of the chiefs got ****ed and had everyone leave in attack mode.

Now some years later we still do it that way. idk but we do. I am to low in the trenches to change it.

here is the picture if you are wondering

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1...55473033llaooW

Forum Member

Rescue position. As so aply noted earlier life then property

MembersZone Subscriber

Rescue. It takes seconds to go to the tip and change it.

Forum Member

I have always avoided recommendations with regards to SOP. And, almost always been pressed for suggestions. It is personal opinion only but, regardless of switch or physical operation, rescue position first and foremost. A minute to adjust won't make that much difference in a fully involved fire but might make a world of difference in a life safety situation.

Even if it is only a matter of flipping a switch, if the aerial gets extended and the operator must retract to secure to the monitor to the second fly, time has been wasted. Worse yet, the public only will see you send the saving arm only to pull it away and try again. Bad news.

With a properly manned aerial the change to elevated master stream should not slow down operations since even a manual device can be pinned while the jacks are being set. However, that "properly manned" part seems to becoming a thing of the past. But, that is another story.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFD21C View Post
    sadly most of all ours are keep pinned in attack mode. Apparently after a certain national publication published a picture of one of our sticks flowing water with the aerial in rescue mode. One of the chiefs got ****ed and had everyone leave in attack mode.

Now some years later we still do it that way. idk but we do. I am to low in the trenches to change it.

I can see where he was coming from by that cause if you leave it in rescue mode and flow water you can really mess you ladder up. However what do they always teach us life over property a person is alot more important that a building.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFD21C View Post

After looking at the picture I still can't tell if the monitor was at the optimum level or not. I wasn't there and don't know one way or the other. I also do not understand how anyone can look at that single picture and declare that the nozzle should have been higher or lower without having been there themselves. The nozzle is nearly level so reach does not seem to be a problem. For all I know the master stream is exactly where someone wanted it.

Just sayin'.

Rescue mode all the time. We'll re-pin it at a fire scene...

Ours goes where the Bucket goes. Life is MUCH simpler. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    After looking at the picture I still can't tell if the monitor was at the optimum level or not. I wasn't there and don't know one way or the other. I also do not understand how anyone can look at that single picture and declare that the nozzle should have been higher or lower without having been there themselves. The nozzle is nearly level so reach does not seem to be a problem. For all I know the master stream is exactly where someone wanted it.

Just sayin'.
    IDK either like I said it was befroe I got hired. The only thing I know is the fire in the picture was the VCU conflagration. The orginal fire building was a five story dorm/apartment building underconstruction. The fire cross a 6 lane street and continued to burn many buildings in the carver community of the city (I think 40ish buildings). The fire even jumped I-95 and burned a building or two in that area.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Ours goes where the Bucket goes. Life is MUCH simpler. T.C.
    Bingo.......

Forum Member

Dumb question from a guy who has not operated a fire aerial, what harm does it do to operate the waterway from the rescue position other than shortening the height?

Quote Originally Posted by mcwops View Post
    Dumb question from a guy who has not operated a fire aerial, what harm does it do to operate the waterway from the rescue position other than shortening the height?
    The big deal is the nozzle and waterway usually impedes close in work to a window sill, etc. if locked in at full extension. Most newer ladder tip loads are still 500 pounds (or greater) at all elevations, full extension, and at 90 degrees to the aerial.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    The big deal is the nozzle and waterway usually impedes close in work to a window sill, etc. if locked in at full extension. Most newer ladder tip loads are still 500 pounds (or greater) at all elevations, full extension, and at 90 degrees to the aerial.
    Actually I meant the opposite, what trouble is caused by operating the nozzle while NOT being pinned to full extension, such as in the picture posted earlier in the thread?

As I said, probably a dumb question, but curious mind would like to know.

Forum Member

For the most part nothing. Our 110' E-One ladder has the monitor positioned permanently at the end of the second fly section. Been that way for 25 years.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mcwops View Post
    Actually I meant the opposite, what trouble is caused by operating the nozzle while NOT being pinned to full extension, such as in the picture posted earlier in the thread?

As I said, probably a dumb question, but curious mind would like to know.
    In the rescue mode the master stream is positioned on an aerial section below the outermost fly, losing some of the height from which you can deliver the water. depending on your position, the fire and the building, this may be a disadvantage. The chances of this being a critical factor in the time frame it takes to change it are far less than the reverse, where you need to make an immediate rescue. Truth be known, far fewer of us have been or ever will be faced with the immediate rescue compared to the defensive operations. This means, sadly we may have "buck fever" and fail to remember to adjust the position. As TC said, the tower bucket provides the best of both worlds, and more!

Thread Information