Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Hoseline pulling drills without hoses

Is there anything I can do to improve on pulling hoses besides actually pulling a hose? I would just practice the real thing but it isn't always an option if the engine is in service or nobody is willing to help out with it because the drill is a pain in the ***. We tried it for the first time, and I'm a little guy so when I tried pulling out the shoulder load it wouldn't budge. I threw all my weight into it, and ended up falling face first with 200 feet of hose piling on top of me. not something I'd like to repeat in front of my entire dept. So I'm looking for some kind of drill or exercise I can do to improve on pulling hose without access to an actual engine.

Forum Member

Your brothers from the department shouldn't have a problem showing you hose loads and pulls. It's understandable if your front run truck is the truck you're pulling hose off, just be careful not to pull too much, and make sure you can load it quickly with the manpower you have. Your brothers should want to help you out and be willing to sweat a little bit to teach you crucial items.

As far as drilling with no hoses, nothing will teach you better than the real thing. If you're working on building up agility, feel free to grab a pike pole and practice pulling ceiling, or swing an axe for a while.

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

why not make a mock hose bed and crosslays from wood. so that you won't even have to pull it off the rig itself. many fire academies have this set-up.

that being said, just pull one of the crosslays or static loads at one time. there should always be plenty of hose left on a rig to go to a work if needed.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Thanks guys.
    Just to be clear, you're talking about making a mock hose bed from wood and filling it with crosslays? Or actually using wood to simulate the pulling motion?

Forum Member

Tie a very big rope to a pallet or very big tire and drag it around to build yourself up

Also they should be showing you techniques to pull the hose so you are not wasting energy

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

ask the older (and wiser guys at the fd) and typically they are willing to teach.

just one thing: listen attentively!
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Thread Information