Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Well that's just DUMB as I can think of spots where stuff grenades that would NOT lend itself to separation. But then again, we don't need five million tires to move stuff either. AS LONG AS it is a PRIMARY move from point of Disablement,we can haul doubles,triples,(INTACT)withou t permits or problems. I'd have to look at my FEDERAL regs again,but as far as I remember it is permissable under FEDERAL Law as long as it is a PRIMARY move. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Not here. Or in MOST States. You are allowed to tow anything DISABLED as a PRIMARY tow. After that it has to be broken down to LEGAL components. That load isn't ALL that heavy,except for all the Jeeps. Must be a Michigan load with all those axles. Front axle doesn't appear to be very light so load is well distributed. T.C.
    That's Rob's Towing out of Bristol, Pa., so it's most likely in Pa. although you can see Rob's most anywhere.

Long before doubles were legal everywhere I got a call to tow a disabled tractor/trailer off of the Pa. Turnpike just east of the Bensalem interchange. I had hooked up and just started toward the interchange when I was stopped by a state trooper. He would not allow me to continue on. I had to drop the trailer on the berm and take the tractor off alone.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    That's Rob's Towing out of Bristol, Pa., so it's most likely in Pa. although you can see Rob's most anywhere.

Long before doubles were legal everywhere I got a call to tow a disabled tractor/trailer off of the Pa. Turnpike just east of the Bensalem interchange. I had hooked up and just started toward the interchange when I was stopped by a state trooper. He would not allow me to continue on. I had to drop the trailer on the berm and take the tractor off alone.
    What were you doing hooking on the Turnpike, or was this before preferred vendors?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    What were you doing hooking on the Turnpike, or was this before preferred vendors?
    Then, as now, only the contracted tow companies are allowed to patrol the Turnpike, and then, only in their designated areas. But, anyone has the right to refuse service by the authorized Turnpike company. They can call anyone they want, and that company can respond to that call. The GMC division of the tree company, when they were still on Philmont Av., did so on this and several other occasions.

Pennsylvania is different from New Jersey and New York, and I'm sure, some other turnpikes. As far as I know, in N.J. and N.Y. only their designated companies are allowed, period. I wanted to transit the N.J. Turnpike once to get to a job off of the Turnpike, and they wouldn't even let me on for that.
    Last edited by chiefengineer11; 11-24-2010 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    Well that's just DUMB as I can think of spots where stuff grenades that would NOT lend itself to separation. But then again, we don't need five million tires to move stuff either. AS LONG AS it is a PRIMARY move from point of Disablement,we can haul doubles,triples,(INTACT)withou t permits or problems. I'd have to look at my FEDERAL regs again,but as far as I remember it is permissable under FEDERAL Law as long as it is a PRIMARY move. T.C.
    Call it what you want, but it is what it is here.

A couple years ago a city tractor caught fire with a trailer. The heat was so immense that it literally welded the trailer to the tractor. Having the only service vehicle with a plasma cutter, I got called out to separate them. The State Patrol would not allow the tow truck to tow both of them locked together.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Makes me wonder how that works when the FEDS say you can,and the State says you can't. As I explained earlier as long as it is a PRIMARY move from disablement/arrest we can do pretty near anything we want. Guess there are still some advantages to living in the Piney wood. T.C. PS,It's STILL dumb not to allow experienced operators to clear a scene in the fastest SAFE method possible.

I don't know about in your area, but this is what I ran across this past Tuesday night; Call comes in at or around 0000 hrs, of a subject attempting to pull a 16' wide 50' long single wide trailer with a flat bed dump truck. Caller advised that subject had gotten stuck coming out of the trailer park and was blocking the entire road. By the time we located the subject he had made it out and was heading down the highway. Least to say he was blocking both lanes of travel. Anyway we get him to pull over into a parking lot and start to go over this "rig". No oversize load permit, no chase car, truck's tag, inspection and insurance was out( last current in 05'), bald tires, bad air breaks, no breaks on the trailer, no warning light on the back of the trailer, only running two axles instead of three on the trailer, the trailer lacked a safety chain to the truck, on top of the ball not being locked and the list went on and on and on. While we were checking the truck out, the driver is running around with his tire pressure gauge checking his tires, and says "well at least I won't get wrote up for low pressure." The Trooper that was with us stated that he had never seen anything this stupid in his 24 years on the job. He called in the Motor Carrier Trooper from one county over to assist us and by the time he got done writing the driver ended up with $1500.00 worth of tickets. Anyway we put the guy out of service and told him he could not move it until he got everything up to snuff. Well to make matters worse this rocket scientist gets caught driving again 4 1/2 hrs latter. But at least he had ducked tape a flash light to the back of the trailer. What a dumb arse!

Check out the damage he did to the his trailer and the way he has the "sleeper box" hooked/chained to his truck.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by BULL321; 11-25-2010 at 09:25 PM.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Yup,seen that before. Around here they hang T11 wood siding all over 'em and put on a pitched roof; THEN they try to move 'em on the ORIGINAL axles and tires. NEVER works good. I've moved 4 traveling houses in my lifetime and that's FOUR too many. T.C.

Talking

Why do you think he was trying to move it under cover of darkness? Cause he knew he couldn't get away with it during daylight.
    Around here the deputies would have put him OOS and called the 800 unit from state police truck squad to do a complete commercial inspection , Fines would have been much higher.

MembersZone Subscriber

Only $1500.00 in fines?

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Why do you think he was trying to move it under cover of darkness? Cause he knew he couldn't get away with it during daylight.
    Around here the deputies would have put him OOS and called the 800 unit from state police truck squad to do a complete commercial inspection , Fines would have been much higher.
    Hehe, ONLY vehicle in the State with a built in Till and receipt printer. T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    Only $1500.00 in fines?
    That was for the first set of tickets. I believe that the total cost to this knuckle head was @ $4,000.00 to $5,500.00 after getting caught a 2nd time. If brains was gun powder this guy would not be able to blow his own nose.
    Last edited by BULL321; 11-27-2010 at 02:13 AM.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    That was for the first set of tickets. I believe that the total cost to this knuckle head was @ $4,000.00 to $5,500.00 after getting caught a 2nd time. If brains was gun powder this guy would not be able to blow his own nose.
    Wow, I'm surprised he didn't paint his truck yellow.......

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    I don't know about in your area, but this is what I ran across this past Tuesday night; Call comes in at or around 0000 hrs, of a subject attempting to pull a 16' wide 50' long single wide trailer with a flat bed dump truck. Caller advised that subject had gotten stuck coming out of the trailer park and was blocking the entire road.
    Ummm...just one question.....what in the hell was the Fire Department dispatched for??????

Ummm...just one question.....what in the hell was the Fire Department dispatched for??????
    Fire Dept. was not called out, I on duty at my paying job that night when I came across this fine fellow and I just could not help but think, that the guys would love to see an example of how not to tow an object.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Wow, I'm surprised he didn't paint his truck yellow.......
    Now that is down right mean! Sticks and coal for you this year.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Just curious Bull.... do you drink "Mello Yello"...????

FM1

"Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Just curious Bull.... do you drink "Mello Yello"...????

FM1
    From time to time, but I prefer Sun Drop!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321
    From time to time, but I prefer Sun Drop!
    Sun Drop??? Hmmmm.... Are you a Dale Earnhardt fan???

FM1

Talking

Down in Bull's neck of the woods they make corn squeezing's from bright yellow corn.
    That would be my favorite!

Thread Information