Forum Member

Default T.C.-FireMech, all you other motorheads and Tow Truck Nuts...

"Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Who's the jackwagon in charge of that operation???

Don't know about there, but here that is illegal as all hell.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Yep that would get you "put in the pink" or an e-citation very quick around here. What a bunch of dumb arses.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

holy crap.....wonder who 'authorized' that tow?!

Forum Member

Who cares about the legalities???? I posted it 'cause it's cool as hell!!!!! That tow truck is puttin a LOT of ponies to work!!!!!!!

Forum Member

I would like to have the towing wrecker!!

Where were the cops for traffic control???
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

The tow truck is owned by Rob's Towing down in Bristol. They refer to the truck as "Megatron", appropriatly enough
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

wow - checked out their web site...they even advertise their big rig for towing fire apparatus! ...
    Wheel Lift Towing for the modern vehicles with 174" reach. Excellent for all types of tour buses and fire apparatus.

Forum Member

Yup, lol. I can't count how many fd vehicles they've towed out of the apartment courtyards
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtg55 View Post
    Yup, lol. I can't count how many fd vehicles they've towed out of the apartment courtyards
    And how many were beached by you? Or your old man????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff
    wow - checked out their web site...they even advertise their big rig for towing fire apparatus! ...
    We have a company that has 3 of these "Megatrons" that does our towing. As well, they have a roll back trailer for those that can't be lifted by the hook.

FM1

EDIT: @ FWD, my first impression was that was one helluva load to be towing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FIREMECH1; 10-27-2010 at 03:10 AM. Reason: clarification for FWD. LOL

"Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Yep. We've used Rob's quite a bit. Both for breakdowns and pulling us out of the courtyards. Sometimes we paid a price getting the best position on the fireground for the tower ladder. In the past, I've been the one driving the rig and getting it stuck (mtg55's father was Chief and ordered me in. haha) and I've been the Chief doing the ordering.
    They are really good to the fire service, however I really don't know what they were thinking in the video.
    Last edited by Tower Dog 14; 10-27-2010 at 03:31 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tower Dog 14 View Post
    Yep. We've used Rob's quite a bit. Both for breakdowns and pulling us out of the courtyards. Sometimes we paid a price getting the best position on the fireground for the tower ladder. In the past, I've been the one driving the rig and getting it stuck (mtg55's father was Chief and ordered me in. haha) and I've been the Chief doing the ordering.
    They are really good to the fire service, however I really don't know what they were thinking in the video.
    This isn't HMcG is it????????

Forum Member

Talking

Nice hook!
    What I can't figure out is why the original heavy hauler had 12 axels under the drill rig.
    PA must have some really screwy bridge laws. Around here that would only have six axels under it. Thats small compared to a lot of the logging equipment used in the woods here.

Forum Member

FWD - No, I was Chief after mtg55's father through most of the 90's.

Forum Member

10-4. I worked with Howard the Duck at Engine 69.

Worked with mtg55's old man down at the Shipyard.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    And how many were beached by you? Or your old man????
    Haha, only once or twice by me, not as many courtyards here as there are in B-town. Don't wanna imagine how many the old man sunk. Think of it as a mud bath for the wagon, good for the paint!
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Hey chief, long time....
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Who's the jackwagon in charge of that operation???

Don't know about there, but here that is illegal as all hell.

FM1
    Not here. Or in MOST States. You are allowed to tow anything DISABLED as a PRIMARY tow. After that it has to be broken down to LEGAL components. That load isn't ALL that heavy,except for all the Jeeps. Must be a Michigan load with all those axles. Front axle doesn't appear to be very light so load is well distributed. T.C.

Forum Member

Like I said, "Not Here". It is illegal to tow a tractor AND trailer attached. It impedes traffic for the most part. Weight isn't an issue. A combo must be separated before being towed.

I don't know the verbiage, just first hand and on the spot knowledge/education from several tow/recovery companies we use.

FM1

Forum Member

Well that's just DUMB as I can think of spots where stuff grenades that would NOT lend itself to separation. But then again, we don't need five million tires to move stuff either. AS LONG AS it is a PRIMARY move from point of Disablement,we can haul doubles,triples,(INTACT)without permits or problems. I'd have to look at my FEDERAL regs again,but as far as I remember it is permissable under FEDERAL Law as long as it is a PRIMARY move. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Not here. Or in MOST States. You are allowed to tow anything DISABLED as a PRIMARY tow. After that it has to be broken down to LEGAL components. That load isn't ALL that heavy,except for all the Jeeps. Must be a Michigan load with all those axles. Front axle doesn't appear to be very light so load is well distributed. T.C.
    That's Rob's Towing out of Bristol, Pa., so it's most likely in Pa. although you can see Rob's most anywhere.

Long before doubles were legal everywhere I got a call to tow a disabled tractor/trailer off of the Pa. Turnpike just east of the Bensalem interchange. I had hooked up and just started toward the interchange when I was stopped by a state trooper. He would not allow me to continue on. I had to drop the trailer on the berm and take the tractor off alone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    That's Rob's Towing out of Bristol, Pa., so it's most likely in Pa. although you can see Rob's most anywhere.

Long before doubles were legal everywhere I got a call to tow a disabled tractor/trailer off of the Pa. Turnpike just east of the Bensalem interchange. I had hooked up and just started toward the interchange when I was stopped by a state trooper. He would not allow me to continue on. I had to drop the trailer on the berm and take the tractor off alone.
    What were you doing hooking on the Turnpike, or was this before preferred vendors?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    What were you doing hooking on the Turnpike, or was this before preferred vendors?
    Then, as now, only the contracted tow companies are allowed to patrol the Turnpike, and then, only in their designated areas. But, anyone has the right to refuse service by the authorized Turnpike company. They can call anyone they want, and that company can respond to that call. The GMC division of the tree company, when they were still on Philmont Av., did so on this and several other occasions.

Pennsylvania is different from New Jersey and New York, and I'm sure, some other turnpikes. As far as I know, in N.J. and N.Y. only their designated companies are allowed, period. I wanted to transit the N.J. Turnpike once to get to a job off of the Turnpike, and they wouldn't even let me on for that.
    Last edited by chiefengineer11; 11-24-2010 at 09:33 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    Well that's just DUMB as I can think of spots where stuff grenades that would NOT lend itself to separation. But then again, we don't need five million tires to move stuff either. AS LONG AS it is a PRIMARY move from point of Disablement,we can haul doubles,triples,(INTACT)without permits or problems. I'd have to look at my FEDERAL regs again,but as far as I remember it is permissable under FEDERAL Law as long as it is a PRIMARY move. T.C.
    Call it what you want, but it is what it is here.

A couple years ago a city tractor caught fire with a trailer. The heat was so immense that it literally welded the trailer to the tractor. Having the only service vehicle with a plasma cutter, I got called out to separate them. The State Patrol would not allow the tow truck to tow both of them locked together.

FM1

Thread Information