Thread: Helmet Lights

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Good point. I like to take my mag light out of my pocket and shine it in the other guys eyes while we're having a face to face.
    HAHA! Nice

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    They can be considered a helmet modification, (Think about that one for a second)
    OK, I thought about that one for a second. And do you know what I thought about? I thought about how helmet manufacturers (Cairns, Bullard, Lion Apparel/Paul Conway, and Phenix Technology don't consider them to be helmet modifications. Then I thought about how NFPA doesn't consider them helmet modifications, either.

And then just for fun, I thought about how one popular helmet flashlight mounting bracket (BlackJack) presents less of an entanglement risk than most visor mounts.

Finally, because I've had so much fun using my brain so far, I decided to think about how a helmet-mounted flashlight "constantly shine the eyes of the people you are looking at". Constantly? Even when I'm not actually looking at anyone? I don't know what kind of flashlights you're used to, but where I come from, flashlights typically have some kind of switch or button that can be used to turn the light OFF. Well that solves that problem. Whew.

Forum Member

Well usually this is where some one bust's out a " I have more time on in a fire house crapper than you do at fires," or "I was fighting Fire when you where $hittin in Diapers"

But instead I will say this Go get a Big super bright Flashlight, and big strong mount, the more expensive the better, and Bolt that conglomeration to your helmet.

When you two have pulled your heads outa your Arse, and realized that they are entrapment hazards, added weight, They can be considered a helmet modification, (Think about that one for a second) they constantly shine the eyes of the people you are looking at, but my biggest pet peeve of all?

They seem to constantly Fill up these forums with threads like this...and bring people like you.

Then come back and call me a condescending, "smoke eater emulating" bushwacker
    If you are annoyed by what you feel are senseless threads then quicherbichen and go to another thread where you and the other testosterone junkies here can brag about the size of your cojones. I am a member of alot of different forums but I must say nowhere are there more domineering folks than here, and you appear to be but one example. Your way is the only right way.

Helmet lamps such as the one I displayed are not entanglement hazards and, when used properly, do not blind others. The added weight is insignificant. Helmet modification?? Nothing about the actual helmet itself has been modified. Yes they are potentially flammable but if your helmet lamp combusts you are already in deep doodoo and the lamp is the least of your worries.

Our dept. recently purchased Bullards with Traklites and while they're better than nothing, I'd prefer my old led lenser.
    My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default forget helmet lights

I don't even bother with helmet lights anymore. An entanglement hazard, never where i want it and always in the officer's face when conferring.

I use the hands-free Searchsleeve with Streamlight 4AA Xenon. Lightweight, where ever I aim my arm or tool, the light shines in that direction. Pretty slick. Fire Resistant, Reflective and even matches my trim on my turnout gear.

I've been wearing one since they came our last year..Love it.. Fires, MVAs, elevator emergencies and even EMS alarms.

Inexpensive and Made in the USA. Look $45 on their website, excluding shipping.

www.searchsleeve.com
    -Egg

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by augdog11 View Post
    I don't even bother with helmet lights anymore. An entanglement hazard, never where i want it and always in the officer's face when conferring.

I use the hands-free Searchsleeve with Streamlight 4AA Xenon. Lightweight, where ever I aim my arm or tool, the light shines in that direction. Pretty slick. Fire Resistant, Reflective and even matches my trim on my turnout gear.

I've been wearing one since they came our last year..Love it.. Fires, MVAs, elevator emergencies and even EMS alarms.

www.searchsleeve.com
    Thank you very much! This seams like a great product! I need to ask my chief for clearance before purchasing

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JJR512 View Post
    OK, I thought about that one for a second. And do you know what I thought about? I thought about how helmet manufacturers (Cairns, Bullard, Lion Apparel/Paul Conway, and Phenix Technology don't consider them to be helmet modifications. Then I thought about how NFPA doesn't consider them helmet modifications, either.

And then just for fun, I thought about how one popular helmet flashlight mounting bracket (BlackJack) presents less of an entanglement risk than most visor mounts.
    I wasn't citing any of those, Truth be told i had not even thought of looking at the standard. Personally I do consider them a modification, and in a Dept. that doesn't allow any of that, My mind set is such.

Show me the proof. Seriously I wanna see that, I will gladly Eat shoe leather I just want to see some facts by some one other than the people that manufacture them. No sarcasm at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Blulakr View Post
    If you are annoyed by what you feel are senseless threads then quicherbichen and go to another thread where you and the other testosterone junkies here can brag about the size of your cojones. I am a member of alot of different forums but I must say nowhere are there more domineering folks than here, and you appear to be but one example. Your way is the only right way.

Helmet lamps such as the one I displayed are not entanglement hazards and, when used properly, do not blind others. The added weight is insignificant. Helmet modification?? Nothing about the actual helmet itself has been modified. Yes they are potentially flammable but if your helmet lamp combusts you are already in deep doodoo and the lamp is the least of your worries.

Our dept. recently purchased Bullards with Traklites and while they're better than nothing, I'd prefer my old led lenser.
    If you don't like the Members here, well then go somewhere else, Seriously

The point of a forum( correct me if i am wrong) Is the open exchange of Ideas. the Op gave me a topic, I gave my Idea on it, As did you. So the Point of this ****ing match is what exactly? a Show of knowledge? Display of typing skills?

I made a statement and then backed it up with some Facts. That should be the end of it. Not some side ways remarks about nut size or testosterone or how my way is the only right way.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Green for IC?,Hehe T.C.

That too! I have two of each in a row across the top of my truck, held down with a cargo strap. All the wires go to cigarette lighter plug, into 4 3 way splitters, so I only have one to plug in.

I can only run them for about 4-5 minutes or they pop a fuse. I run down the road at 100 plus for about 4 minutes, then shut them off and slow down. Wait about 4 minutes then I can plug them in again!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    That too! I have two of each in a row across the top of my truck, held down with a cargo strap. All the wires go to cigarette lighter plug, into 4 3 way splitters, so I only have one to plug in.

I can only run them for about 4-5 minutes or they pop a fuse. I run down the road at 100 plus for about 4 minutes, then shut them off and slow down. Wait about 4 minutes then I can plug them in again!
    Your Winger tape in your Pioneer AM/FM stereo cassette player and those 6x9 speakers that you bought at Harbor Freight are probably sucking the life out of your Big Rancher battery.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Your Winger tape in your Pioneer AM/FM stereo cassette player and those 6x9 speakers that you bought at Harbor Freight are probably sucking the life out of your Big Rancher battery.

Cassette? Thats for weenies. I gots me an 8 track!

Forum Member

I wasn't citing any of those, Truth be told i had not even thought of looking at the standard. Personally I do consider them a modification, and in a Dept. that doesn't allow any of that, My mind set is such.

Show me the proof. Seriously I wanna see that, I will gladly Eat shoe leather I just want to see some facts by some one other than the people that manufacture them. No sarcasm at all.
    Proof? Other than from the people that manufacture "them"? What are you referring to by "them": helmet manufacturers, flashlight manufacturers, or flashlight bracket manufacturers?

Who better to say than the helmet manufacturers what does or doesn't constitute a modification to their own helmets?

These letters, although presented on a bracket manufacturer's website, are from the companies mentioned:

http://www.blackjackholder.com/pdf/CAIRNS-PDF.pdf

http://www.blackjackholder.com/pdf/BULLARD-PDF.pdf

http://www.blackjackholder.com/pdf/LionLetter.pdf

http://www.blackjackholder.com/pdf/PhenixTechnology.pdf
    Last edited by JJR512; 10-28-2010 at 12:03 AM.

Forum Member

Back up your statement that the mount and flashlight is less of a entanglement hazard than the mounting brackets of helmet visors.

Forum Member

Back up your statement that the mount and flashlight is less of a entanglement hazard than the mounting brackets of helmet visors.
    That statement is not mine. I apologize for the confusion; upon review, I see that I did not attribute that statement to any other entity. That particular statement is a paraphrasing of something that the manufacturer of the BlackJack bracket says:

"Will a light on my helmet just get tangled up in a fire?"

The Blackjack's patented under the brim design, with multiple points of contact, all but eliminates this hazard. When installed correctly, the Blackjack presents less of a profile than most visor mount assemblies.
    Source: http://www.blackjackholder.com/FAQ.php

Now, that statement, coming from where it does, is obviously biased. And in my opinion, it relies heavily on the "installed correctly" bit that's carefully in there. I also think it's more accurate when the helmet is a modern style than traditional, since the downward-angled brim of a modern-style helmet tucks the flashlight more up under the brim, as opposed to the upward-angled brim of a traditional-style helmet which sort of hangs the flashlight out in the open. So strictly speaking, the statement isn't absolutely true in all circumstances, even if it is installed correctly.

But figuring that out—if it's true for you or not—is called using your brain, something that isn't required to blindly follow what some dude on some internet forum says.

Forum Member

thank you for clearing that up for me, it's like you said this is all opinions on the internet.

MembersZone Subscriber

Everyone on here needs to remember that this is just people's options and you have to do what works best for you.

If you think you want a helmet light try it out for a while and if it works for you keep it on there. I personally use a UK rechargeable light on my helmet and it works great for me. And I am sure I see as much or more fire then a lot of the people that post on here and I have not have a problem with the weight of my helmet issued 1010 defenders and I think they are heave to start with so what’s a little more weight if it will help me see. As far as getting tangled up easier have not had a problem with that either. If I ever do I will take the light off my helmet I suppose but I don't see that being and issue. Now I would like to try out that search sleeve sometime. It looks like a good idea and I have seen some good reviews about it.

Now that you know my option I also work with guys (even on my company) that hate helmet lights and would never put one on their helmet. But like I said they do what works best for them and I do what works best for me. I highly suggest you do the same.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by augdog11 View Post

www.searchsleeve.com
    Hmm... I think this is yet another example of something originally seen in Star Trek (communicators, PADDs) become modern-day reality (cell phones, PDAs/iPads). In the ST: The Next Generation series, they sometimes used lights that strapped either to the back of the hand or the end of the forearm near the wrist; I don't remember exactly where it went, or how the lights actually attached, but anyway the effect was the same as what this product does now: aiming the light wherever you aim your arm.

EDIT: It may have actually first appeared in Voyager...Not sure http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7457852
    Last edited by JJR512; 10-28-2010 at 04:48 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Cassette? Thats for weenies. I gots me an 8 track!
    Haha! reel to reel?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Wow, this has gotten contentious. Where to start. I really like the Search Sleeve. I was also just about to purchase a light for my helmet or my coat (probably both), but now I'm pretty sure the Search Sleeve is the one for me.

On the helmet lights, I have seen them get caught on things during training drills and MVC's. I also recall recently reading in one of the trade publications that a department did an informal research project and found that they too had more cases of them getting caught, hung up, than the same helmet without the light. Wish I could remember where I read it, I would post it.

My department switched to MSA traditional helmets with the internal visor. Its nice to to have that visor out of the way, but the helmet is taller and the eagle that holds the leather gets caught on stuff and broken.

Has anyone used a cheap Harbor Freight LED light? curious how they work.

Lastly, if I really had my druthers, I would have one of these with the integrated visor, face shield, light, and bone mic.

http://www.resqtech.com/joomla/image...t%20helmet.jpg

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by viperfire1 View Post
    Wow, this has gotten contentious.
    This thread was dead for over 3 months. You brought it back to life.

On the helmet lights, I have seen them get caught on things during training drills and MVC's. I also recall recently reading in one of the trade publications that a department did an informal research project and found that they too had more cases of them getting caught, hung up, than the same helmet without the light. Wish I could remember where I read it, I would post it.
    It really depends on what type of light your using and how it's mounted. Metal light mounts that clamp to the helmet can certainly snag and either pull your helmet off or trap you. Either one is a serious issue. But sticking a LifeLight under a rubber helmet band will not. I have a small Nitex light attached to my rubber helmet band with a hose clamp. I snagged it on purpose to see what would happen and the helmet band just popped off. So no snag issue their either. Just use common sense with how you mount things to your helmet.

My department switched to MSA traditional helmets with the internal visor. Its nice to to have that visor out of the way, but the helmet is taller and the eagle that holds the leather gets caught on stuff and broken.

The eagle gets broken? I have seen bent and dented eagles, but Broken? Never. Not to mention, if it got caught on something, it would pull the helmet off your head yanking the shell off the liner before the eagle breaks.

I agree that front holders are the biggest snagging issue on a helmet. The Morning Pride version is the worst offender.

MembersZone Subscriber

The best helmet lamp ever

Forum Member

Im curious how many guys that spend $50.00 plus on a helmet light, have spent $25.00 (up) on a good set of lineman pliars ?
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Im curious how many guys that spend $50.00 plus on a helmet light, have spent $25.00 (up) on a good set of lineman pliars ?
    Not a bad question. A helmet light to me is not really a life safety device. It's simply a way to help me find things in dark compartments on the rig, navigate dark rooms till i find the light switch and light up my field of view at an accident or EMS scene. The only time i would ever likley use it in a fire would be during overhaul.

It has a purpose, but items like linemans pliers that can save your life are items you should be spending money on first.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Or $30 on some bail out rope.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Or $30 on some bail out rope.
    Me, and me. Well, pump pliers.

I have my light on a Blackjack - the Blackjack isn't that firmly on the helmet, so if it catches on anything (keep in mind it's under the helmet brim) it'll pull off the helmet. Guess how I know that
    "I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
    - R. MacLeod, Alma VFD

Forum Member

Lineman pliers? Not familiar with that term; is that a different way of saying wire cutters?

I have this item on my shopping list: http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?SKU=CL-89 They also have a more plier-like version: http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?SKU=CL-88 Actually I haven't completely decided which one to get; I assume I don't need both, because they're almost the same thing. The reason why I don't have one of these types of things yet is because I'm not a firefighter yet. I figured I would wait until the class and maybe get a recommendation from the instructor, or see what people here think is better...
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JJR512 View Post
    Lineman pliers? Not familiar with that term; is that a different way of saying wire cutters?

I have this item on my shopping list: http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?SKU=CL-89 They also have a more plier-like version: http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?SKU=CL-88 Actually I haven't completely decided which one to get; I assume I don't need both, because they're almost the same thing. The reason why I don't have one of these types of things yet is because I'm not a firefighter yet. I figured I would wait until the class and maybe get a recommendation from the instructor, or see what people here think is better...
    Not those. Linesman pliers
    Last edited by Rescue101; 02-19-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Thread Information