Thread: Helmet Lights

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JJR512 View Post
    Lineman pliers? Not familiar with that term; is that a different way of saying wire cutters?

I have this item on my shopping list: http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?SKU=CL-89 They also have a more plier-like version: http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?SKU=CL-88 Actually I haven't completely decided which one to get; I assume I don't need both, because they're almost the same thing. The reason why I don't have one of these types of things yet is because I'm not a firefighter yet. I figured I would wait until the class and maybe get a recommendation from the instructor, or see what people here think is better...
    Those tools are great, but yes, you would only want to carry one of those.The Linemans version is more useful as it has the ability to be used as pliers, not just a a cutter and the cutting jaws are hardened and will cut virtually anything you can fit in it's jaws with little to no damage to the tool. The heavy, blunt end i also great for smashing through sheetrock/plaster and even thin wood.

The cable cutting version only has two real uses. Cutting copper or aluminum wire at auto accidents and wire at some rescue situations and in an emergency, you could cut your way out an entanglement in a stucture. But the jaws will often be damaged if you cut heavy steel wire, like is used in drop cielings. Hardly a loss if you manage to free yourself and avert death. But can become an expensive issue if you use it often for such tasks.

I carry the linesman version at all times and keep a pair of cable cutters in my tool roll for auto accidents.

Forum Member

So both of you (Rescue101 and WD6956) would advocate the pliers version (Channellock 88) over the cutter version (Channellock 89), is that correct?

Does it look like the 88 would be able to cut anything the 89 can cut?
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Forum Member

So both of you (Rescue101 and WD6956) would advocate the pliers version (Channellock 88) over the cutter version (Channellock 89), is that correct?

I advocate having both types of cutters, BUT, of the Channellock models, yes, i suggest carrying ONE and in my opinion, the Linesman plier version (88) will be far more useful for the reasons i mentioned above.

As for cutting. The 89 has a wider jaw spread then the 88 so it can cut aluminum or copper wire in a larger size then the 88 without making multiple cuts. However, the jaws are nowhere near as powerful as the Linesman version and are not intended to be used on steel wire and will likley be damaged if you cut anything substaintial. Most drop cielings are supported by heavy steel wire, chain link fences, small padlocks (Luggage type), wire shelving, wire lath etc are all materials the 88 will cut with ease and with no damage. The 89 may cut it, but it will be damaged beyond repair.

The largest cable you would ever be cutting would be the battery cables on a car. In that application, the 89 would work best. The 88 could do it as well, but it may take two cuts. Hardly that big of a deal. But then realize that you would never be trapped in an IDLH atmosphere by a battery cable. The type of electrical cables you would encounter in a structure possible falling on you or getting you hung up in a wall would be Romex, BX or phone/video cables. All of which can be cut easily with the 88. So why carry a tool all the time who's primary design is to cut large diamater electric cables? I only want to carry in my pockets things i would use on most calls. Not things i use very little. Those items i keep in my bag on the rig and will stick in my pocket as the situation requires.

Forum Member

Hey WD5669 - dont forget that cheap "helix" flex duct when it melts. Not hard to cut , but there sure can be a lot of it.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Hey WD5669 - dont forget that cheap "helix" flex duct when it melts. Not hard to cut , but there sure can be a lot of it.
    Ah yes, the never ending dryer ducting commonly used on bathroom exhaust fans. Nasty stuff to get hung up in. All those coils wrap around everything.

Forum Member

Haven't experimented with the two multi purpose Channellock cutters. I HAVE used the Linesmans. The BIG think about them is the way they leverage the cutters. As the others have said,they will cut nasty,hard stuff that boogers up the other tools. Just a GOOD all around plier. T.C.

Forum Member

If you pick up either version, find a way to cover the punch so it doesn't wear a hole in your gear. The 89 and a pair of Channellock 440's can get it all done.

Back on topic- a garrity life lite snug in a helmet strap and a right angle of some sort on your chest should work fine.

MembersZone Subscriber

Reduce entanglement go to a 660C with Defender. You've already done so, right?

For helmet light look at FoxFury Command lights. the model 20 is a bit over your price range but the way to go. Also much reduced entanglement hazard compared to brack style light.

Sleeve search is a neat Idea but what impact on NFPA1971? Tight band impact of TTP and THL?
    Last edited by neiowa; 02-03-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rarified27 View Post
    If you pick up either version, find a way to cover the punch so it doesn't wear a hole in your gear. The 89 and a pair of Channellock 440's can get it all done.
    That's a good idea and TFS has a product for that: http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?pID=6115 Still, it looks like sooner or later, the punch might work a hole in that leather, but I guess it makes more sense for the $18 sheath to be disposable rather than getting a hole in expensive turnout gear.
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Forum Member

That's a good idea and TFS has a product for that: http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?pID=6115 Still, it looks like sooner or later, the punch might work a hole in that leather, but I guess it makes more sense for the $18 sheath to be disposable rather than getting a hole in expensive turnout gear.
    I got one of those TheFireStore versions and it sucks.. Go with Save-A-Jake and never look back. That is what I got.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SkullKrusher2010 View Post
    I got one of those TheFireStore versions and it sucks.. Go with Save-A-Jake and never look back. That is what I got.
    Agreed. The Sav-A-Jake is MUCH better.

Forum Member

Maglite makes a new small LED that I have decided to go with. Its called a XL50 or XL100. Push button on the back and fits right into the J-003 Black Jack mount. I am LOVING mine. The light is half the price of Streamlights and has a great warranty! That is my suggestion for everyone.

Stay Safe

FD5
    "EVERYONE GOES HOME... ALWAYS"

"Let no mans ghost come back to say his training let him down."

Forum Member

Ya I love my streamlight on my helmet. Don't use it in fires, but use it at MVAs all the time. Nobody can drive in my district at night.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GVFD5 View Post
    Maglite makes a new small LED that I have decided to go with. Its called a XL50 or XL100.

They make two models, the XL50 and the XL100. Both are identical in size, 1" diamater and 4.8" long. Both run on three AAA batteries.

The XL50 is 104 Lumens and will run for 8 hours, 45 minutes on high with new batteries. It also has a low power (25%) setting and a strobe. All are selectable through the number of clicks you do on the switch. Sold in most shops for around $25.00. Detailed review can be found here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=296992&page=1

It is worth a read considering it points out the issue of standby battery life.

The XL100 is 83 Lumens (Although testing indicates it's the same as the XL50, 104 Lumens) and will run for 5 hours, 15 minutes on high with fresh batteries. It has a variable power setting but the way it is adjusted is impractical for helmet mounting. It has a motion feature much like an Iphone where you move the flashlight in your hand while depressing the button. The 5 setting are as follows:

Normal Mode (Basic On-Off)
    Adjustable Brightness with Memory

Strobe Mode
    Adjustable Strobe Rate with Memory

Nite Lite™ Mode
    Automatically Dims to a Low Setting

Signal Mode
    User initiated signal on-off

SOS Mode
    Signals International Morse Code SOS

Lockout
    Prevents accidental operation

These features seem like a waste on a helmet light, so i would suggest the XL50 of the two. Average price on the XL100 is $35.00

An excellent, very detailed review of the XL100 can be found here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=262186&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by GVFD5 View Post
    The light is half the price of Streamlights and has a great warranty! That is my suggestion for everyone.
    In fairness, you say it's "Half the price of Streamlights" yet Streamlight makes no comparable light to this in terms of design or battery type. The closest they make size wise to the Maglite XL series which uses the same Blackjack mount you are using is the PolyTac LED. It's length is just over 5". So not even an inch longer then the Maglite. And it is MUCH brighter. The run time is less though. And the Maglites are not submersible. They are "rain proof". The Streamlight is submersible to 30 meters.

And as for the MagLite having a better warranty then Streamlight? Both Maglite and Streamlight have identical warranties. Lifetime excluding physical abuse and battery corrosion.

And what about price, you say the Maglite is "Half the price of the Streamlight"? The Streamlight PolyTac LED sells for $34.00 in most shops. So at most, it's less then $5.00 more then the Maglite.

If i was going to use a 1" diamater light on my helmet with a Blackjack mount, i would would much rather have the Streamlight. It's lighter, It's brighter, has no electronic switch and is totally waterproof.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

You can't advertise on the forums it is against forum rules.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Ah, so that is why three flashlight threads appear at the top this morning. Jay with Spartan Shield Lights is here! This deserves its own thread.

Forum Member

Problem solved.
    Last edited by EastKyFF; 11-29-2012 at 09:12 AM.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Thread Information