Thread: Helmet Lights

Forum Member

Default Helmet Lights

It is time to get a new helmet light...
    I would love to hear suggestions.
    Under $50 would be nice, but I am willing to go a little over for a really good product.
    Thanks for the input!

Forum Member

I have a Streamlight Propolymer 4AA LED in a Blackjack bracket. Love it.
    "I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
    - R. MacLeod, Alma VFD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DubyaVFF View Post
    I have a Streamlight Propolymer 4AA LED in a Blackjack bracket. Love it.
    I am leaning towards that actually!
    Thanks

Forum Member

For $50, get a Streamlight Survivor LED alkaline. It will outshine anything you can put on your helmet, even the Vantage. Amazing light for the money. I am about to buy my second one.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I appreciate the suggestion... our department uses these, but I find them useless when both hands are full. Our coats don't have good flashlight anchors, so the lights wind up swinging around, and you can't see anything.

Forum Member

$5 Garrity light. When the smoke's banked down, and you turn on your trusty $50 helmet light, all you get is bright smoke.....
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NFD-Firefighter View Post
    I appreciate the suggestion... our department uses these, but I find them useless when both hands are full. Our coats don't have good flashlight anchors, so the lights wind up swinging around, and you can't see anything.
    Ah. In that case, my first choice would be a Streamlight Vantage. Followed by a SureFire G2L with a Blackjack mount.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtg55 View Post
    $5 Garrity light. When the smoke's banked down, and you turn on your trusty $50 helmet light, all you get is bright smoke.....
    Haha, true!
    I would like something good for night time operations though.

Forum Member

What he said.

Forum Member

Put your flashlight in your pocket where they belong
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Yep. Me too.

For "night time operations" use something other than a helmet mounted flashlight.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Last edited by shmarleybarlow; 11-06-2010 at 08:58 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
    Oh really? How bout we'll do what we want. You condescending, "smoke eater emulating" bushwacker.
    Oh boy...

Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Do you only respond to structure fires???

We respond to a lot of nighttime MVA's in a remote area. Coat mounted lights are ok but as you said, you can't point them with your hands full.

I wore one of these for a year and it worked very well. It has adjustments for brightness and beam focus. It also pivots downward so you aren't blinding someone when you look at them. I paid $60 from my local Snap-On tool dealer. They're around $50 online. Only problem I found is if you're using a faceshield it glares a bit when the shield is down.

My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

Forum Member

never saw the need for a helmet light. useless in a fire, and not really help fun in non fire instances.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blulakr View Post
    Do you only respond to structure fires???

We respond to a lot of nighttime MVA's in a remote area. Coat mounted lights are ok but as you said, you can't point them with your hands full.

I wore one of these for a year and it worked very well. It has adjustments for brightness and beam focus. It also pivots downward so you aren't blinding someone when you look at them. I paid $60 from my local Snap-On tool dealer. They're around $50 online. Only problem I found is if you're using a faceshield it glares a bit when the shield is down.

Thank you. I appreciate that. We do a lot of night time trainings as well, usually with no scene lighting.

MembersZone Subscriber

As much as this poor equine has been flogged in these forums, this is now the light I prefer for the helmet...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    As much as this poor equine has been flogged in these forums, this is now the light I prefer for the helmet...
    Green for IC?,Hehe T.C.

Forum Member

I use a basic machined aluminum two AA battery light with a Streamlight band....the band allows you to position the light to shine where you are looking and there are numerous times it has come in handy. It's not a mini-mag....those are tough to turn on/off....rather it has a single push button

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    never saw the need for a helmet light. useless in a fire, and not really help fun in non fire instances.
    Au contraire. I find my helmet light is awesome in night MVC ops and in some structure fires where the smoke is light - or even just getting around the scene.

Sure, in the real thick stuff it doesn't help - so I grab the Pelican 3C out of my pocket. Who said anything about having one light?
    "I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
    - R. MacLeod, Alma VFD

Forum Member

I never could get one of those rubber band tool "holders" to stay on my department issued tactical tupperware type helmet so I went with a Pelican 90 degree bend light in my pocket and just dealt with it swinging around.
    I also kept a MiniMag with an LED bulb and pushbutton end cap on my hip.The first time on a call where I really needed a light in an unlit room,I managed to leave the [CENSORED] thing on the coffee table at home when the pager went off.
    Up until an OTJ injury on the Mississippi River here at Memphis,I'd wear an LED light clipped to my ball cap that was bright enough that I'd be mistaken by other boats for the starboard running light at night when doing stuff on the head of the barge(s) we were towing.
    They're cheap enough at wally world in case you lose or damage them and they also come in black light/UV for night fishing. I've often wondered if they'd have a use on EMS calls to help spot leaking bodily fluids during the assessment.Has anyone else thought of that yet?
    No,they don't clip onto any helmet that I know of but if you are a vollie and respond in street clothes to the scene,you can still have a light that can shine where you are looking,remembering your Emily Post and not blinding someone by looking them dead in the eye while wearing such a light.
    Last edited by doughesson; 10-27-2010 at 03:20 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
    Oh really? How bout we'll do what we want. You condescending, "smoke eater emulating" bushwacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by matteo View Post
    Hi,
    That was good..
    That was the best thing you will do now...is to put it were it belongs....
    Well usually this is where some one bust's out a " I have more time on in a fire house crapper than you do at fires," or "I was fighting Fire when you where $hittin in Diapers"

But instead I will say this Go get a Big super bright Flashlight, and big strong mount, the more expensive the better, and Bolt that conglomeration to your helmet.

When you two have pulled your heads outa your Arse, and realized that they are entrapment hazards, added weight, They can be considered a helmet modification, (Think about that one for a second) they constantly shine the eyes of the people you are looking at, but my biggest pet peeve of all?

They seem to constantly Fill up these forums with threads like this...and bring people like you.

Then come back and call me a condescending, "smoke eater emulating" bushwacker

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DubyaVFF View Post
    Au contraire. I find my helmet light is awesome in night MVC ops and in some structure fires where the smoke is light - or even just getting around the scene.

Sure, in the real thick stuff it doesn't help - so I grab the Pelican 3C out of my pocket. Who said anything about having one light?
    100% agreed!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    they constantly shine the eyes of the people you are looking at,

Good point. I like to take my mag light out of my pocket and shine it in the other guys eyes while we're having a face to face.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Good point. I like to take my mag light out of my pocket and shine it in the other guys eyes while we're having a face to face.
    I know me too, gives everything that authentic feel.

Thread Information