MembersZone Subscriber

Default Truck Company Ops

Ok, gang I'm helping the training officer work on some new training ideas, as well as reviewing our SOG's. One of my questions is what type of saw blades are guys using on the Ksaw for ventilations

MembersZone Subscriber

alll depends on your typical needs witht he truck. we have two k12's. 1st is with a multi-use carbide chunk blade (good for steel and most other materials, but not so great on wood but still will do the job) and 2nd is a wood blade.

1st q is do you have a chainsaw on the rig with a carbide or ffvent blade? if you can say yes to that, equip the k-12 with a metal cutting blade. if not look at the multi-use carbide or diamond blades.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    alll depends on your typical needs witht he truck. we have two k12's. 1st is with a multi-use carbide chunk blade (good for steel and most other materials, but not so great on wood but still will do the job) and 2nd is a wood blade.

1st q is do you have a chainsaw on the rig with a carbide or ffvent blade? if you can say yes to that, equip the k-12 with a metal cutting blade. if not look at the multi-use carbide or diamond blades.
    Yes we do have chain saw with ffvent blade, thanks for the info, we have looked at putting a multi use carbide blade, but folks keep telling us 200-300 for them. I'd use an axe for that much money HAHAH

Forum Member

ksaw has metal cutting blade. chainsaw used for wood. Majority of roofs in my area are wood so the chainsaw goes first. We do have wood blades for the K's, but more often than not, the chainsaw is used.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

We've had a committee together for the past year and a half, completely revamping our truck ops for our city. I've been fortunate to serve on this committee, and we had one member do extensive research on K- blades.

The two changes we made; convert all Stihl "rescue" saws to the Cobra chain. This required a larger bar and sprocket as well.

The next was to use the Stihl TS700 exclusively, and place the MK Tigertooth disc on them.

We cut a lot while researching. We even took a 90 minute road trip to another city department to see what they were doing. We have cut a lot since placing them in service, both roofs and metal doors (which is our majority of use) and we are very happy with these changes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool K12 Saws

When we had (2) K12 Saws on our Truck we had a wood blade on one and a metal blade on the other.

Reading RFDGloWorm's post, I really like that idea. We've tried "bullet chains" and other chains for our Stihl's and keep burning up chain-bars.

RFD, do you have a vendor that you'll share?

Also, when we get our second saw back hopefully one will go in the inboard setting and the other will go in the outboard setting.
    Last edited by mikeyboy; 11-03-2010 at 01:03 AM.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyboy View Post
    When we had (2) K12 Saws on our Truck we had a wood blade on one and a metal blade on the other.

Reading RFDGloWorm's post, I really like that idea. We've tried "bullet chains" and other chains for our Stihl's and keep burning up chain-bars.

RFD, do you have a vendor that you'll share?

Also, when we get our second saw back hopefully one will go in the inboard setting and the other will go in the outboard setting.
    Mikey, let me touch base with the member that did the research and I'll get you some info.

MembersZone Subscriber

Very cool, thanks.....
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Forum Member

For our K-12s we use a multi purpose diamond blade and a carbide tip for wood. Normally the K-12s only come out for metal, concrete, or the old Florida yellow pine. For most roof vents we use our Stihl chainsaw's with the RDR carbide chains.

Mikeyboy:

We had the same problem with damaging the bars after extensive cutting. We have MS361 saws with 18" Duromatice bar, which is suppose to be excellent for abrasive/plunge cutting. We did some field testing: made 16' straight cuts in a asphalt shingle roof, then checked the bar temp. about 4-6" back from the tip. We have since changed to the Rollomatic ES bar (sprocket type) and use Oregon Arboral bio oil (mix with 4 parts water). The bar temp. was significantly reduced with no damage.

MembersZone Subscriber

Very cool, I will show this to my Guys this weekend when we get back to work.

Forum Member

We have two Stihl MS 441 Chainsaws with Carbid tip chains.

&

Two Partner K-12's. One with a Diamond tipped metal blade, the other with a wart hog blade.

Thread Information