MembersZone Subscriber

Default If there isn't a B-Pillar, what do you do?

Okay. Opinion gathering time. If you had to push or roll the dash, instrument panel, and front structure forward on this side of this Saturn, what do you do to create an 'anchor point' for your pushing tool?
    Name:  100_5982.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  35.7 KB
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Forum Member

Gotta love "hide a doors". We would PROBABLY take a section cut under the A post(after you removed as much of the roof and door as necessary) on both sides and lift with the spreader. AFTER properly stabilizing the car INCLUDING letting air out of the tires IF NECESSARY. I have a set of ram sets(push plates) for older vehicles I BELIEVE would work on this car,they are longer than modern versions. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Preferred route would be to jack the dash however the rocker panels appear that they would easily accomidate a rocker panel bracket that would serve as anchor point for an HRT ram to roll the dash.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

MembersZone Subscriber

We have also used these devices in training programs for an anchor point on the rocker panel. http://www.thetarheel.com/tarheel.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

First, would try the lift.

Second would be the rocker panel block with long ram.

Have also seen the rocker panel block held in place with a spreader...was not a big fan of that idea.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

drive a haligan into the rocker panel and ram of that.Or chock from the C post back toward the front until your ram can extend the distance you need.Or, use large spreaders to clamp down on rocker panel and push of that.
    Lastly if you have no alternative, chock under the A post cut a bight about 2" near to base both sides, place spreaders in gap and roll dash from that point.
    Also, (airbags depending), try ramming off the bulkhead in centre of car, just under seat, use blocks and wedges to spread load or if rusted and push through dash, eventually you will reach a cross brace that runs the width of the car.You probably wont get a big "roll" but enough to free someones legs
    Last edited by jeeves1; 10-27-2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: addition

Back In Black

Great thread.

We would probably chock the rocker panel near the a post, crimp or cut a section to give the ram a purchase point, and just drive the dash upwards after making some relief cuts.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Hi

Depending on what was needed, we would go for a dash lift initially, if a roll was required we would either pack out from the base of the c-post until we have sufficient length to use a ram. or alternately we could use the dedicated spreaders to clamp the sill support onto the sill and then ram off that.

Or maybe place the dedicated spreaders under the dash and spread it up from the footwell area or centre of the console.

Jon

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Anchor Points...

Amkus makes step looking devices that work well in this situation. Can't think off the top of my head what they're actually called but they work well. My suggestion is to "back" them with either a Haligan or a set of Spreaders.

Using the Spreaders and clamping down on the frame of the vehicle works really well. My suggestion is to put a piece of rubber between the Ram/Pushing Tool and the Spreader that is being used as the anchor.

It's another suggestion, so take it as such.....
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnycutter View Post
    Hi

Depending on what was needed, we would go for a dash lift initially, if a roll was required we would either pack out from the base of the c-post until we have sufficient length to use a ram. or alternately we could use the dedicated spreaders to clamp the sill support onto the sill and then ram off that.

Or maybe place the dedicated spreaders under the dash and spread it up from the footwell area or centre of the console.

Jon
    Sounds la bit like what I said.We must be doing something right then.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jeeves1 View Post
    Sounds la bit like what I said.We must be doing something right then.
    Good to know mate.

Thread Information