Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Seattle 2011

Forum Member

No Vet Points

Forum Member

No veteran's preference points for me...96.827...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jamessmitchell View Post
    No veteran's preference points for me...96.827...
    Very impressive. I just hope for my sake Chief Dean hires anywhere out of the top 25% without going in order like I heard he does.Right on well good luck to you guys.

Forum Member

They will not just go down the list 1-25. The Chief's interview will sort out who gets the job. If you're in the top 25% of those who passed both oral boards you have a good shot at being able to jump into a class. I was in the 70s on our list and made it in. There have been folks in the 100s who made it into a 24-48 person list. By the end of the last list there was considerable movement up the list due to the length (duration) of that list. If you're in the top 250 - 350 (maybe even higher) or so, you can still have a legit shot if this list stays active for longer. Congrats to those who moved on and keep plugging away.

KTF
    Forum Member

The employment interview followed by the psych is next. Not the chiefs.
    Last edited by Hawaii44; 06-30-2011 at 04:42 PM.

KTF
    Forum Member

They explained it at the optional oral board classes. Anyone else go to those? They helped me.

Forum Member

I should clarify. The chief's interview isn't the same as the CHIEF's interview. The little chief's interview is with battalion chiefs and maybe a capt. This is the one you want to kick *** on. If you get to BIG CHIEF you have the job locked up as long as you don't make an *** of yourself.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GRNFT View Post
    I should clarify. The chief's interview isn't the same as the CHIEF's interview. The little chief's interview is with battalion chiefs and maybe a capt. This is the one you want to kick *** on. If you get to BIG CHIEF you have the job locked up as long as you don't make an *** of yourself.
    Is the "little chief's" structured like the first 2 orals? That is, hitting check boxes or is it more laid back being yourself and just a chance to sell yourself?

Forum Member

The site is now updated, not such great news:
    http://www.seattle.gov/fire/employme...didateinfo.htm

Forum Member

You know I don't know how they score it at that point. I know after that interview is when they put them in the order of 1, 2, 3 and then the Chief will go down that list in order, most likely, although he has Chief's prerogative to take anyone off of the final list. I just relaxed and told my story in the context of the questions. There wasn't a lot of give and take in the interview, so in that regards more like the first 2. I would say showing a personality that they would want to supervise and work with to the chiefs that would be supervising you is going to pay dividends.

The longer this list goes, the better for those in the 100s, maybe even 200s.

If/when we hear when they will be moving forward with the process I'll put the word out.
    Last edited by GRNFT; 06-30-2011 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Addition to the website notification

KTF
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nwavant View Post
    The site is now updated, not such great news:
    http://www.seattle.gov/fire/employme...didateinfo.htm
    Damn that sucks. More time to prep for the interview I guess.

Forum Member

August isn't that bad...I've been in a lot of processes where it takes that long to move from step to step anyway...But the idea of continued delays scares me...It would suck to do well just to have budgets disallow hiring altogether...

I had some friends who were officially hired by LA City just to have their academy canceled due to budget problems...It's taken so long that their list expired...

KTF
    Forum Member

Heres some info I got today from Seattle. I think most already know this but thought it might help some. So if your 1-150 your lookin good.

The exact number of candidates who are certified will depend on the number of vacancies stated by Fire when they request a certified list from this department, so it should be a little over 150 candidates who end up on that certified list. Below is the latest information on scheduling that we have from Seattle Fire:

The Fire Department anticipates hiring at least one recruit class of 24 from this current register. A start date for that recruit class has not yet been determined.

Candidates that have been selected to move forward in the pre-employment process will be notified once the Fire Department receives authorization to hire.

Information and updates on the hiring process can be found on our website www.seattlefirejobs.com and on our Recruitment hotline at
    (206) 386-9078.

Forum Member

Not sure why...but my scores showed up for the first time today on governmentjobs.com...

Probably meaningless, but makes me hopeful...

KTF
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jamessmitchell View Post
    Not sure why...but my scores showed up for the first time today on governmentjobs.com...

Probably meaningless, but makes me hopeful...
    Me too. Good to finally know. Hopefully it starts back up in August

KTF
    Forum Member

Ranks changed due to preference points, I moved from 104 to 113. Thank God I'm still in the top 150. The rank list is now available on the current candidate info site. Hopefully this means they will continue the process next month

Here's the link to the candidate registry.

http://www.seattle.gov/fire/employme...al_7-26-11.pdf
    Last edited by Hawaii44; 07-28-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: added link

Forum Member

My spot only changed by 2 (From 30 to 32). It's interesting - hopefully this means that they're moving along in the process.

Forum Member

Hey guys, I talked with someone who just left training who just talked with the current training staff, and they are planning on a Jan/Feb recruit class as of now, new budget pending...Stay tuned to budget info as that may tell some of the tale. We are paying a ton of OT out right now, and it looks like they want to get some new hires in to help alleviate that. Hang in there, and keep your fitness up and speeds down.

KTF
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GRNFT View Post
    Hey guys, I talked with someone who just left training who just talked with the current training staff, and they are planning on a Jan/Feb recruit class as of now, new budget pending...Stay tuned to budget info as that may tell some of the tale. We are paying a ton of OT out right now, and it looks like they want to get some new hires in to help alleviate that. Hang in there, and keep your fitness up and speeds down.
    Great news thanks for the info!
    Last edited by KTF; 08-04-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Forum Member

Default I can help

If you are in the Seattle area, and need help with preparing for your written test, I am a highly experienced tutor. Give me a call or send me an email and we can discuss how I can help.
    Bio:

I am an experienced tutor who has helped many students with the strategies and skills needed to pass the Public Service Exams and other firefighter exams. If you need my help, I can be reached at

KWool95963@aol.com or 425-239-4449

Thank you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi View Post
    If you are in the Seattle area, and need help with preparing for your written test, I am a highly experienced tutor. Give me a call or send me an email and we can discuss how I can help.
    Bio:

I am an experienced tutor who has helped many students with the strategies and skills needed to pass the Public Service Exams and other firefighter exams. If you need my help, I can be reached at

KWool95963@aol.com or 425-239-4449

Thank you.
    Holy sh#t...a new species of troll.

Forum Member

Since we are on the topic of test taking, I would like to add what I have learned from my first experience in testing for Seattle. This is meant to be constructive, and I hope it will help future test takers.
    1) I believe that looking through countless books on how to ace an interview is pointless. In my recent experience, I believe that a college level communication or speech class will better prepare a person for the interview portion of the process.
    2) Play the game. What does that mean? Reschedule your interview for one of the first in the morning. I recently in class had to listen to twenty-five plus speeches, and by the end the bar has been set as well as my ability to care/pay attention was diminished. If you interview late in the day or worse after lunch break, the human factor kicks in, and that is not good.
    That is just my two cents and some lint from my pocket.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy1 View Post
    Since we are on the topic of test taking, I would like to add what I have learned from my first experience in testing for Seattle. This is meant to be constructive, and I hope it will help future test takers.
    1) I believe that looking through countless books on how to ace an interview is pointless. In my recent experience, I believe that a college level communication or speech class will better prepare a person for the interview portion of the process.
    2) Play the game. What does that mean? Reschedule your interview for one of the first in the morning. I recently in class had to listen to twenty-five plus speeches, and by the end the bar has been set as well as my ability to care/pay attention was diminished. If you interview late in the day or worse after lunch break, the human factor kicks in, and that is not good.
    That is just my two cents and some lint from my pocket.
    I think, ideally, you play the "all of the above" game...meaning speech type classes, the books, mocks, scheduling strategically, etc. Do anything you can. The only thing about Seattle is that it's a checklist/keyword interview, which means interaction and personality play a slightly smaller role - you have to hit the "key ideas" they are looking for as much as anything, which no amount of speech class can help you with...

For Seattle, it seems understanding the key roles of a firefighter and what Seattle is looking for is of prime importance...

Forum Member

Anyone else get the email...let's get this thing going!!!

Forum Member

What'd the email say?
    I am not in this process but a few buddies of mine are.
    Hoping some of you guys get hired.
    Good luck!

Also, I think you're from southern california....I am sure I've seen you at tests before.

Thread Information