Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Seattle 2011

KTF
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jamessmitchell View Post
    Anyone else get the email...let's get this thing going!!!
    Yes sir! Academy starts in February! Good to have dates

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tann3r View Post
    What'd the email say?
    I am not in this process but a few buddies of mine are.
    Hoping some of you guys get hired.
    Good luck!

Also, I think you're from southern california....I am sure I've seen you at tests before.
    The next steps in moving on in the process. Background packet/Pre-employment packet to fill out, scheduling information for the pre-employment interview, CPAT, medical, etc.

I am from So-Cal, so if you're doing the rounds around here, I'm sure we've seen each other...where you from? I live in South OC, work for HBFD as an AO, and have been testing everywhere.

Forum Member

The next steps in moving on in the process. Background packet/Pre-employment packet to fill out, scheduling information for the pre-employment interview, CPAT, medical, etc.

I am from So-Cal, so if you're doing the rounds around here, I'm sure we've seen each other...where you from? I live in South OC, work for HBFD as an AO, and have been testing everywhere.
    Oh, no way.
    I live in HB. Know quite a few people who worked for them/currently work for them as AO's.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tann3r View Post
    Oh, no way.
    I live in HB. Know quite a few people who worked for them/currently work for them as AO's.
    Cool...it's a good gig...hope I'm not there much longer and instead I'm in seattle!!!

Forum Member

Cool...it's a good gig...hope I'm not there much longer and instead I'm in seattle!!!
    Good deal.

Sounds like you're on track to get up there.
    Best of luck.

Forum Member

Sent my packet in yesterday...anxious to get going. Heard our 8 hour day will include some math/literary/mechanical aptitude testing, personality stuff, and more...

KTF
    Forum Member

It says casual attire is acceptable for this 8hr day, but also I thought after the written a suit was the standard. What are you wearing James? Anyone else have a thought on attire? Thanks

Forum Member

If they say casual, it's ok. This is a day usually down at the Joint Training Facility where they know you'll be stuck in a room all day. They typically have some of the training staff out there to let you get some familiarization with Seattle equipment (hoses and what not) when you're done with the inside stuff. Not sure if they are doing that here, but historically that has been the case.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KTF View Post
    It says casual attire is acceptable for this 8hr day, but also I thought after the written a suit was the standard. What are you wearing James? Anyone else have a thought on attire? Thanks
    What did it specifically say? I remember after a personality test there was an chance to do some hands on training at the JTF with hose, ladders, etc. Is the day scheduled at the JTF?

KTF
    Forum Member

It's at SFD head quarters downtown, says " Casual attire is appropriate for this exam session." And to bring lunch. Not sure what the exam is on so I'll be studying for everything.

Forum Member

I don't care what it says - I'm wearing a tie, suit pants, and I'll have my suit jacket handy for if I feel the need to put it on. I always do it just to be safe. I'll probably end up unbuttoning the shirt one button and taking off the tie, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. And my suit's pretty comfortable, so it's no big deal anyway. There's no really good reason not to look super professional to anyone you meet over there - at least that's the way I look at it. A little discomfort to perhaps set yourself apart - why not?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scubadvr View Post
    What did it specifically say? I remember after a personality test there was an chance to do some hands on training at the JTF with hose, ladders, etc. Is the day scheduled at the JTF?
    I'll bring a change just in case this is true.

Forum Member

If it's at HQ, I wouldn't expect there to be a chance to drag hose and what not. In the past they've done a 4 hour personality/initial psych test out at the JTF and let you drag hose after. Never hurts to over dress, and take off the jacket and tie. Good luck all.

KTF
    Forum Member

I don't care what it says - I'm wearing a tie, suit pants, and I'll have my suit jacket handy for if I feel the need to put it on. I always do it just to be safe. I'll probably end up unbuttoning the shirt one button and taking off the tie, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. And my suit's pretty comfortable, so it's no big deal anyway. There's no really good reason not to look super professional to anyone you meet over there - at least that's the way I look at it. A little discomfort to perhaps set yourself apart - why not?
    Good call, I'm gonna do the same and pack clothes to be safe. Im on Aug 30th what day are you?

Forum Member

Good call, I'm gonna do the same and pack clothes to be safe. Im on Aug 30th what day are you?
    September 6, but I might move it depending on my paramedic field internship schedule...

Forum Member

Are you a medic mitchell?

MembersZone Subscriber

September 6, but I might move it depending on my paramedic field internship schedule...
    Quote Originally Posted by Persistence10 View Post
    Are you a medic mitchell?
    Really????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Really????
    No need to stir up trouble...

Forum Member

Just moved my to September 2...booking flights now.

Forum Member

Anyone have any insight into how Seattle runs their Captain/Chiefs interview? I know their first 2 oral boards were a lot more structured and formal than other interviews I've had at smaller Departments, I wonder if this will still be the case for the next round. There are 175 of us left.

Forum Member

You can expect it to be very similar to the first 2 interviews. If you've done strongly there continue down that path. If you're middle of the pack, consider what you can do to sell your accomplishments better.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GRNFT View Post
    You can expect it to be very similar to the first 2 interviews. If you've done strongly there continue down that path. If you're middle of the pack, consider what you can do to sell your accomplishments better.
    I did well, but of course could have done better. Seattle would be a dream job!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GRNFT View Post
    I've heard the same. Just moved my pre-employment interview so I could knock my CPAT out in the same trip - save some $$$. I talked with the HR people and asked how the recent testing would factor into the hiring decisions, and they told me they really didn't know. They even said it's possible they don't use the mechanical/math/etc. at all, but they couldn't say anything for sure. Anxious to get the pre-employment interview going!

Forum Member

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Especially since everyone is getting an interview and a CPAT anyways??

KTF
    Forum Member

I'm excited too for the interview. I also signed up for the senor cadet program, hoping to start that on the 17th. Anyone else trying to be a cadet on here? Sounds like a great program to learn the Seattle way.

Thread Information