Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Seattle 2011

KTF
    Forum Member

Ranks changed due to preference points, I moved from 104 to 113. Thank God I'm still in the top 150. The rank list is now available on the current candidate info site. Hopefully this means they will continue the process next month

Here's the link to the candidate registry.

http://www.seattle.gov/fire/employme...al_7-26-11.pdf
    Last edited by Hawaii44; 07-28-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: added link

Forum Member

My spot only changed by 2 (From 30 to 32). It's interesting - hopefully this means that they're moving along in the process.

Forum Member

Hey guys, I talked with someone who just left training who just talked with the current training staff, and they are planning on a Jan/Feb recruit class as of now, new budget pending...Stay tuned to budget info as that may tell some of the tale. We are paying a ton of OT out right now, and it looks like they want to get some new hires in to help alleviate that. Hang in there, and keep your fitness up and speeds down.

KTF
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GRNFT View Post
    Hey guys, I talked with someone who just left training who just talked with the current training staff, and they are planning on a Jan/Feb recruit class as of now, new budget pending...Stay tuned to budget info as that may tell some of the tale. We are paying a ton of OT out right now, and it looks like they want to get some new hires in to help alleviate that. Hang in there, and keep your fitness up and speeds down.
    Great news thanks for the info!
    Last edited by KTF; 08-04-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Forum Member

Default I can help

If you are in the Seattle area, and need help with preparing for your written test, I am a highly experienced tutor. Give me a call or send me an email and we can discuss how I can help.
    Bio:

I am an experienced tutor who has helped many students with the strategies and skills needed to pass the Public Service Exams and other firefighter exams. If you need my help, I can be reached at

KWool95963@aol.com or 425-239-4449

Thank you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi View Post
    If you are in the Seattle area, and need help with preparing for your written test, I am a highly experienced tutor. Give me a call or send me an email and we can discuss how I can help.
    Bio:

I am an experienced tutor who has helped many students with the strategies and skills needed to pass the Public Service Exams and other firefighter exams. If you need my help, I can be reached at

KWool95963@aol.com or 425-239-4449

Thank you.
    Holy sh#t...a new species of troll.

Forum Member

Since we are on the topic of test taking, I would like to add what I have learned from my first experience in testing for Seattle. This is meant to be constructive, and I hope it will help future test takers.
    1) I believe that looking through countless books on how to ace an interview is pointless. In my recent experience, I believe that a college level communication or speech class will better prepare a person for the interview portion of the process.
    2) Play the game. What does that mean? Reschedule your interview for one of the first in the morning. I recently in class had to listen to twenty-five plus speeches, and by the end the bar has been set as well as my ability to care/pay attention was diminished. If you interview late in the day or worse after lunch break, the human factor kicks in, and that is not good.
    That is just my two cents and some lint from my pocket.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy1 View Post
    Since we are on the topic of test taking, I would like to add what I have learned from my first experience in testing for Seattle. This is meant to be constructive, and I hope it will help future test takers.
    1) I believe that looking through countless books on how to ace an interview is pointless. In my recent experience, I believe that a college level communication or speech class will better prepare a person for the interview portion of the process.
    2) Play the game. What does that mean? Reschedule your interview for one of the first in the morning. I recently in class had to listen to twenty-five plus speeches, and by the end the bar has been set as well as my ability to care/pay attention was diminished. If you interview late in the day or worse after lunch break, the human factor kicks in, and that is not good.
    That is just my two cents and some lint from my pocket.
    I think, ideally, you play the "all of the above" game...meaning speech type classes, the books, mocks, scheduling strategically, etc. Do anything you can. The only thing about Seattle is that it's a checklist/keyword interview, which means interaction and personality play a slightly smaller role - you have to hit the "key ideas" they are looking for as much as anything, which no amount of speech class can help you with...

For Seattle, it seems understanding the key roles of a firefighter and what Seattle is looking for is of prime importance...

Forum Member

Anyone else get the email...let's get this thing going!!!

Forum Member

What'd the email say?
    I am not in this process but a few buddies of mine are.
    Hoping some of you guys get hired.
    Good luck!

Also, I think you're from southern california....I am sure I've seen you at tests before.

KTF
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jamessmitchell View Post
    Anyone else get the email...let's get this thing going!!!
    Yes sir! Academy starts in February! Good to have dates

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tann3r View Post
    What'd the email say?
    I am not in this process but a few buddies of mine are.
    Hoping some of you guys get hired.
    Good luck!

Also, I think you're from southern california....I am sure I've seen you at tests before.
    The next steps in moving on in the process. Background packet/Pre-employment packet to fill out, scheduling information for the pre-employment interview, CPAT, medical, etc.

I am from So-Cal, so if you're doing the rounds around here, I'm sure we've seen each other...where you from? I live in South OC, work for HBFD as an AO, and have been testing everywhere.

Forum Member

The next steps in moving on in the process. Background packet/Pre-employment packet to fill out, scheduling information for the pre-employment interview, CPAT, medical, etc.

I am from So-Cal, so if you're doing the rounds around here, I'm sure we've seen each other...where you from? I live in South OC, work for HBFD as an AO, and have been testing everywhere.
    Oh, no way.
    I live in HB. Know quite a few people who worked for them/currently work for them as AO's.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tann3r View Post
    Oh, no way.
    I live in HB. Know quite a few people who worked for them/currently work for them as AO's.
    Cool...it's a good gig...hope I'm not there much longer and instead I'm in seattle!!!

Forum Member

Cool...it's a good gig...hope I'm not there much longer and instead I'm in seattle!!!
    Good deal.

Sounds like you're on track to get up there.
    Best of luck.

Forum Member

Sent my packet in yesterday...anxious to get going. Heard our 8 hour day will include some math/literary/mechanical aptitude testing, personality stuff, and more...

KTF
    Forum Member

It says casual attire is acceptable for this 8hr day, but also I thought after the written a suit was the standard. What are you wearing James? Anyone else have a thought on attire? Thanks

Forum Member

If they say casual, it's ok. This is a day usually down at the Joint Training Facility where they know you'll be stuck in a room all day. They typically have some of the training staff out there to let you get some familiarization with Seattle equipment (hoses and what not) when you're done with the inside stuff. Not sure if they are doing that here, but historically that has been the case.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KTF View Post
    It says casual attire is acceptable for this 8hr day, but also I thought after the written a suit was the standard. What are you wearing James? Anyone else have a thought on attire? Thanks
    What did it specifically say? I remember after a personality test there was an chance to do some hands on training at the JTF with hose, ladders, etc. Is the day scheduled at the JTF?

KTF
    Forum Member

It's at SFD head quarters downtown, says " Casual attire is appropriate for this exam session." And to bring lunch. Not sure what the exam is on so I'll be studying for everything.

Thread Information