Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Seattle 2011

Forum Member

It's going to be budget related. Right now there is no projected shortfall for the remainder of this year for the city (perhaps a small surplus), but a projected $40M for next year. Keep your eyes on those numbers and that will dictate. This class just had their midterms today so about halfway done. If I hear anything else I'll post it here.

KTF
    Forum Member

Yep all done with mid terms now! To those on the list stay in shape and keep working out and stay healthy. Seattles drill school is no joke, everyone agrees its harder than they imagined and your body gets destroyed. There is about a 15-20% wash out rate so make sure your ready mentally and physically. But the training and instruction you get is amazing and I'm loving every minute of it!

I'm a nobody and have no idea if there will be an August class, but I do know that there are a lot of spots open. And they spent a lot of money on the test to get this list so I would bet there will be one more class at least off this list. So be patient and keep the faith its totally worth it.

Forum Member

Congratulations to you all. I understand graduation was today, gotta feel great. I wish you the best of luck out there, probation is no joke! A positive attiude and a desire to learn and serve will get you through. And remember, everybody likes ice cream.
    Stay safe out there and have fun,
    Nick

Forum Member

Heard that Seattles current list will be good through 2013, and that they might put on another recruit class earlier than february. The rumors are they want to hire 40 more off the current list. This is all here say until its official but, heres to everyone still in the hunt (KEEP THE FAITH)!

Forum Member

That's great news for those of us still on the list. I kept hearing rumors that they were going to have another test. So glad to not have to start the process over. Thanks for the info!

Forum Member

Yeah, I recieved the email today, just to cover all my bases I sent in a job interest card awhile back, it said they will not be testing and that the list would be used through 2013. Good news for us on the list, I have heard anything from November to February???
    Just waiting for the notice to go CPAT again, it will have been long enough that we will have to do it again, good luck.

Forum Member

I also received that email. Best of luck to everyone! I was testing with someone who was in the academy before this last one and hurt his knee on the third to last day. I am hoping he was in RC 98.

Forum Member

I was talking with one of the Recruit Instructors yesterday and he thinks that the next class will be held at the end of Feb "at the earliest". That's a typical Seattle schedule, so I'd expect a 24 person class if the money is there. Not bad odds if you were one of the 175 to get a chiefs' interview.

Forum Member

It would be nice if the current list showed how many are eligible, I know alot of people didn't pass the physical and backgrounds. when i took my physical 4 people failed just while i was there. before the last recruit class started I heard there was somewhere around 100 people on the list so now that the first class has completed I would think there would be about 70 give or take still on the list. Should be good odds, this is my dream job I try to forget about it and keep testing but then you hear more info on Seattle. Thanks for all the info from everyone when i hear anything else ill be sure to post! "KTF" Im still keeping the FAITH.

Forum Member

Hey everyone how's it going? Im new to the thread, but I'm also on the current list for Seattle right now. I used to work for Ft. Lewis Fire and now work for Henderson Fire in Las Vegas. Im from Seattle and Seattle is def the Dept Ive been wanting to work for. Sounds like there are some current Seattle guys on here and was hoping for some insite of the dept and some Union questions. Since I live out in Vegas its hard to network, so I'm hoping this will work a little.

GRNFT, KTF or anyone else, if you can help that would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Okie, I sent you a PM. fire away.

Forum Member

@GRNTF, thanks for the info and updates, looking over the Hx on this thread you are usually dead on with the updates. Much appreciated.
    @GmanH2o, an updated list would be great, would like to know if I went up or down after the captains interview, or how many are left. Oh well, gives you something to look forward to.
    Hoping for CPATs in October again, I figure if you get CPAT notice your in good shape.
    Good luck, stay in shape and stay on the board, it's nice to have others to share in the hope.
    Nick

Forum Member

GRNTF just sent an email....let me know if you get it..im new to this site so trying to get the settings right....Thanks again....

Forum Member

Okie, I didn't see it in my inbox. Try again, or you can always post here too. Washedup, just trying to keep the info flowing. I stay in touch with the training folks and the recruiting team, so try to keep it up to date as I can. I can say this, that we have had a ton of retirements lately. My opinion is there will be at least 1 more class off of this list, and I will update stuff as I hear it. I'll also try to point out what's my opinion, what the grumblings are and what is fact so people can sift through. Hang in there guys. Opportunities are getting better with this department.

KTF
    Forum Member

Okie8498 shoot me a e-mail or message on here about anything. The word on the street is still a class at the beginning of next year. They had 18 of us go to ops and the in one month 20 retired so they still need a lot of bodies. Everyone stay safe, healthy, and out of trouble. Its worth the wait!

Forum Member

Thanks KTF....sent u a message if you got it.

Forum Member

I imagine those on the list will have to redo the cpat but will there be another oral board/chief interview to pick the top 24 or do they just randomly select those who will be contacted...presumably in the fall-ish time frame?

Still leaning towards an early 2013 recruit class?

Will any of the 7 who didnt make it through RC98 be automatically in RC99?

What steps will this next group go through? cpat, background, medical? Anything else?

Forum Member

At this stage I wouldn't expect another interview. HR and HQ have already rank ordered based off of the first 3 interviews. The only interview that there would be is with THE Chief prior to you finalizing the offer. I would expect a bit later notice for a Feb-ish 2013 class. We need a class, but it's still up in the air if we will have the training budget to put one through. Of the 7 dropped, I would expect only one of those (an injury) to be rolled into this class. The next group will have to do CPAT and a medical. Background if you haven't done it yet. Typically HR will call candidates on the list and ask for what they need and give a conditional offer based on completion of CPAT and medical. I wouldn't expect any movement until the fall.

Forum Member

Maybe a little off topic but anyone else putting in for the Seattle Fire "Senior Cadet Program"? It is open until the 14th, looks like a great program and would be a great way to learn some of the aspects of Seattle fire. Check it out on the web site.
    Hope you are all doing well.
    Nick

Forum Member

Correction. There were 2 in the last class lost to injury who should be rolled into this class, and SFD has a recent history of allowing 1 or 2 folks who washed out but showed promise to reenroll. Not saying that's happening or I agree or disagree, just passing that on. Still looking like end of Feb (vs. beginning) for the next class. Debate between training and Admin on the size of it.

Senior Cadets is a great program to learn not only the Seattle Way, but to get some great exposure, training, and discipline.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GRNFT View Post
    At this stage I wouldn't expect another interview. HR and HQ have already rank ordered based off of the first 3 interviews. The only interview that there would be is with THE Chief prior to you finalizing the offer. I would expect a bit later notice for a Feb-ish 2013 class. We need a class, but it's still up in the air if we will have the training budget to put one through. Of the 7 dropped, I would expect only one of those (an injury) to be rolled into this class. The next group will have to do CPAT and a medical. Background if you haven't done it yet. Typically HR will call candidates on the list and ask for what they need and give a conditional offer based on completion of CPAT and medical. I wouldn't expect any movement until the fall.
    Is Seattle still doing the psych? I know the last class didn't.

Forum Member

Since this is off of the same list as the last class, I don't think they have a psych planned. It still shows as part of the process, but I think they're counting more on the background for now. Hope that helps. Training dudes are pretty solid that we're gonna have RC 99 end of Feb.

Forum Member

Got an email to do the pre employment testing again next month for feb recruit class

Forum Member

YEAH buddy! Here we go. Good luck this time around, maybe some of us will meet up at one of these steps. Be nice to meet all of you at some point. Exciting information.
    Nick

Forum Member

Got an email for pre-employment testing as well... glad to see forward momentum again. Today is good day. Good luck to everyone still in the process.

Thread Information