Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 916171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Seattle 2011

Forum Member

Also, I called Sue Scaggs at HR at around 12:30 and asked if all of the calls had been made for COE's. She said they hadn't been, and was unwilling to elaborate on any further details.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just want to say great job to those of you that made it. To the rest, don't give up! Is an alternate a back up in case an applicant who received a conditional offer backs out, just curious how that works.

So KTF, which one is it going to be? Seattle or TVF&R. Two great departments to choose from. Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KTF View Post
    I just got a conditional offer!!! Going to HQ now to sign my papers and get my packet. I'll post up if more calls are going out. Dont believe the rumors they went out Monday. James hit me up when your in town
    KTF - I just sent you a message...

Forum Member

Alternates are there if someone turns down the offer, fails the medical or something late pops up in background. Happened in my class. You'd be surprised how many people accept the spot and then bail right at the beginning of recruit school. Hang in there guys. Nothing is over until the list is exhausted. You don't know how many guys are on the job because someone turned the spot down late. A lot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GRNFT View Post
    Alternates are there if someone turns down the offer, fails the medical or something late pops up in background. Happened in my class. You'd be surprised how many people accept the spot and then bail right at the beginning of recruit school. Hang in there guys. Nothing is over until the list is exhausted. You don't know how many guys are on the job because someone turned the spot down late. A lot.
    My brother in law is #25 and the 1st alternate. I'm pretty confident he's going to get hired.
    Last edited by powerhourcoug; 11-16-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Forum Member

tell him to be ready to go up to and including the first week. It's not uncommon to get that call a couple of days in. Plus he knows where he stands for the next class.

Forum Member

Well as shown, ranks mean absolutely nothing

Forum Member

Well, just received the email. No dice this time around. But wanted to remind everyone that didn't get a call to not overlook the fact that you made the final list of about 100 (+/-) out of approximately 5,000 applicants. That's something to be proud of and all the interviewing and testing we did along the way will only better prepare us for the next one, wherever that may be. Good luck to everyone and God bless! And James... so proud of you man! Strong work!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by freddybustillos View Post
    Well, just received the email. No dice this time around. But wanted to remind everyone that didn't get a call to not overlook the fact that you made the final list of about 100 (+/-) out of approximately 5,000 applicants. That's something to be proud of and all the interviewing and testing we did along the way will only better prepare us for the next one, wherever that may be. Good luck to everyone and God bless! And James... so proud of you man! Strong work!
    Did anyone else recieve a email I didnt?

Forum Member

Ya, I got the email. Kinda mixed feelings.... Happy I made it this far, but bummed I didn't make the final cut. To those that got the call, go kick some a$@, and make this hiring list shine!!! Hopefully the rest of us will see u in a few months.

Forum Member

I still have not got my email im Keeping the faith just like KTF

Forum Member

Got mine, nogo email, finally some closure.

The only thing that let me down this whole process was that the final interview, the Captains interview was just another set of standard run of the mill oral board questions, with a poker faced board. Kinda hoped that at that point you might get a chance to show 'em what you are really about and not how well you rehearsed the "30 possible oral board questions" thanks Capt. Bob. Back to the voice recorder, they are digital now by the way.

Good luck those who made it and to those on the bubble.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by washedupFF View Post
    Got mine, nogo email, finally some closure.

The only thing that let me down this whole process was that the final interview, the Captains interview was just another set of standard run of the mill oral board questions, with a poker faced board. Kinda hoped that at that point you might get a chance to show 'em what you are really about and not how well you rehearsed the "30 possible oral board questions" thanks Capt. Bob. Back to the voice recorder, they are digital now by the way.

Good luck those who made it and to those on the bubble.
    when did your email come in

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gmanh2o View Post
    when did your email come in
    1549 pst. .

Forum Member

Mine came in at the exact same time as washed up....

I was also a little bummed out after the last interview. I wanted to allow them to get to know me and what my story is...why I want to be a fireman...what I have done to prepare...etc. But instead it was another standard question interview that focus on key words and bullets. Not what I had prepared for. Not that I'm bitter. It is what it is, and I am stoked for the guys that got it. At least I can sleep know, knowing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ckjibber View Post
    I was also a little bummed out after the last interview. I wanted to allow them to get to know me and what my story is...why I want to be a fireman...what I have done to prepare...etc. But instead it was another standard question interview that focus on key words and bullets. Not what I had prepared for. Not that I'm bitter. It is what it is, and I am stoked for the guys that got it. At least I can sleep know, knowing.
    First off, Congrats to all that got the call. Hope to see you all on Saturdays (you'll find out).

Sorry guys, but I am a little confused by this. I went through the SFD process twice, and hired off the prior list. Yet I remember being able to talk about myself in all my interview questions. I used personal stories to relate to all the "key words." And repeated them many times for every question. Maybe things changed, I know there were some minor changes. But I'd like to know how the guys that just got COE felt/answered.

Forum Member

For all of those who won't be moving on, I know how crushing it is. I didn't make it past the second interview, which is very far removed from how close you all got. Despite my low expectations for being my first oral board, I still expected to go further than I did.

I read the posts from James and KTF with a bit of resentment. I'm happy for you guys, honestly - but who wouldn't feel a bit of jealousy? I let myself be down for about 3 minutes before I had to remind myself that I'm meant for this work. I didn't do a good job of conveying it to Seattle, but that doesn't change who I am. Their decision to not hire me does not mean I'll never make it.

You are the top 2%, battling for one of the most choice fire departments in the country. You may have not been chosen, but that doesn't mean you aren't meant for this. It doesn't mean those who were chosen are better than you (or worse, for that matter). I think you'll all agree that the competition was top notch. This experience will make you better, and you *will* fit in another department. You *will* get hired if you stay determined. Do not deprive the public of your desire to serve them - they need you.

You're allowed to be down, but don't let it consume you. Pick your head up, believe in yourself, and I'll see you at the next test/oral board/academy.

KTF
    Forum Member

I plan on calling TVF&R and removing my self from there list so someone else could get my spot. Seattle has always been my number 1 dept and its where my heart is at. TVF&R is an excellent department for sure though.

As for ranking, after the 2nd interview we all were equal going into the employment interview. Preference points were only used in the first two oral boards I believe. I was ranked 113 after my second oral board because i messed up on my 2nd oral board a little.

As for interview questions, I think they gave us a chance to talk about ourselves a lot. I used a personal story in every question for every interview and used all the time allowed for the interview. The seattle process is a lot different and is not your typical oral board for sure. I went to the optional oral board practice sessions and it really helped me out. They explain every interview and the whole hiring process.

If you haven't gotten an e-mail yet don't give up, I believe they still are making phone calls. Even if you have gotten an email, there sounds like there will be a next class for sure in August. Good luck to all and Keep The Faith.

Forum Member

Being able to relate your story in the context of Seattle process, as maddening as it is, is the key. Remember that there is still a planned August academy at this time and that this list is to remain active for quite a long time. Like I said earlier, I received the same letter that many of you got saying that the list was going to end with me on it. Luckily things changed. Hang in. Feb is a long way off and things happen. For those hired, please feel free to PM if you have any pressing questions. I had to relocate up here a week before drill school and having someone to answer some questions would have helped a lot. Enjoy the holidays but stay in shape. Seattle's academy is less about doing PT all day and more about endurance and being able to keep going all day. Congrats again and see you on the Saturdays.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KTF View Post
    I plan on calling TVF&R and removing my self from there list so someone else could get my spot. Seattle has always been my number 1 dept and its where my heart is at. TVF&R is an excellent department for sure though.

As for ranking, after the 2nd interview we all were equal going into the employment interview. Preference points were only used in the first two oral boards I believe. I was ranked 113 after my second oral board because i messed up on my 2nd oral board a little.

As for interview questions, I think they gave us a chance to talk about ourselves a lot. I used a personal story in every question for every interview and used all the time allowed for the interview. The seattle process is a lot different and is not your typical oral board for sure. I went to the optional oral board practice sessions and it really helped me out. They explain every interview and the whole hiring process.

If you haven't gotten an e-mail yet don't give up, I believe they still are making phone calls. Even if you have gotten an email, there sounds like there will be a next class for sure in August. Good luck to all and Keep The Faith.
    Do you have a conditional or final offer from Seattle?

I had a few offers in the pipeline as well...I didn't pull my #2 until I had an official offer from my #1.

I'm assuming you're going to wait until SFD official extends you an offer...just sayin'...

Thread Information