Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Seattle 2011

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeeves1 View Post
    the last eligible expired October as I was on it.... Seems like a waste of money as those people waited 2.5 years.At least this time round they are changing the process by putting CPAT earlier which will help eliminate a few more who arent up to it
    I was high on that list as well (final panel interview and background interview), really thought I was going to get it, and even started preliminary plans on moving out there across the country. It was a very long and stressful 2 1/2 years, and very expensive as well. I understand that the city is in a financial deficit, but so are good candidates who live all over the country. I went through another west coast city process and their processes were bunched together into 1 weekend of activities. Just my .02 on that.

Seattle FD is probably one of the best departments to get picked up by and the city is awesome. Unfortunately, I don't have another 2 years and $5000+ travel expenses to chance with, and I'm not about to walk away from almost 10 years (if I got hired off this list) with a pretty decent career department I'm with now.

Good luck to all the applicants, just don't get your hopes up too much. Take the interviews seriously, get an interview prep book. Don't forget to refresh your basic math and algebra skills. Study, study, study, then practice, practice, practice. You might also want to enroll in a frequent flyer program with Northwest Airlines.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by patjackson52 View Post
    I love fighting fire
    you might not want to mention that to any interview panel. In fact if you really feel that way, a prosperous city like Seattle may not be for you. May I suggest Detroit, Gary, Camden, or East St. Louis?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 125cc View Post
    I was high on that list as well (final panel interview and background interview), really thought I was going to get it, and even started preliminary plans on moving out there across the country. It was a very long and stressful 2 1/2 years, and very expensive as well. I understand that the city is in a financial deficit, but so are good candidates who live all over the country. I went through another west coast city process and their processes were bunched together into 1 weekend of activities. Just my .02 on that.

Seattle FD is probably one of the best departments to get picked up by and the city is awesome. Unfortunately, I don't have another 2 years and $5000+ travel expenses to chance with, and I'm not about to walk away from almost 10 years (if I got hired off this list) with a pretty decent career department I'm with now.

Good luck to all the applicants, just don't get your hopes up too much. Take the interviews seriously, get an interview prep book. Don't forget to refresh your basic math and algebra skills. Study, study, study, then practice, practice, practice. You might also want to enroll in a frequent flyer program with Northwest Airlines.
    I feel you man.Exactly the same situation.I traveled from the UK 4 times, at one point.extremely stressfull on a marriage as well.I think they have lost 4 or 5 on their curent class so far, makes you annoyed that they are doing a whole new recruitment drive when they still have fresh people on the list of good calibre ready to go.Mybe if a few of us top 25% got together we could email them to find out the logic behind it? Because I could never understand it.Especially because we waited for so long.?...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeeves1 View Post
    I feel you man.Exactly the same situation.I traveled from the UK 4 times, at one point.extremely stressfull on a marriage as well.I think they have lost 4 or 5 on their curent class so far, makes you annoyed that they are doing a whole new recruitment drive when they still have fresh people on the list of good calibre ready to go.Mybe if a few of us top 25% got together we could email them to find out the logic behind it? Because I could never understand it.Especially because we waited for so long.?...
    Jeeves, just curious what made you pick Seattle out of all the FDs in the US if you are trying to come over from the UK?

Unfortunately, the nature of the beast is that there are good people on every list who get passed over, or do not have a chance to prove themselves. The FD tries to make good decisions for their department (remember they have financial incentive to pick good people who will make it through the academy and probation) and apparently they have a system they think works for them.

I don't have any insight into why the current class may be losing members. That said, I understand from friends who have hired on in Seattle that they have a very old tradition of washing out at least one recruit from every academy class - a tradition they don't intend to part with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFDRes View Post
    Jeeves, just curious what made you pick Seattle out of all the FDs in the US if you are trying to come over from the UK?

Unfortunately, the nature of the beast is that there are good people on every list who get passed over, or do not have a chance to prove themselves. The FD tries to make good decisions for their department (remember they have financial incentive to pick good people who will make it through the academy and probation) and apparently they have a system they think works for them.

I don't have any insight into why the current class may be losing members. That said, I understand from friends who have hired on in Seattle that they have a very old tradition of washing out at least one recruit from every academy class - a tradition they don't intend to part with.
    I am already over here.Have been for 2 yrs career now on East coast.I have family in Seattle and love the city.Am dual national so have lot of family on both east and west coasts.Seatle had their chance with me.Im probably going for Baltimore City now

MembersZone Subscriber

I won't be able to attend one of the optional study workshops for the written exam. So I am wondering if anyone knows of a good study guide for their written exam. I know that their are quite a few out their.

Thank you,

Robert

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnfra200302 View Post
    I won't be able to attend one of the optional study workshops for the written exam. So I am wondering if anyone knows of a good study guide for their written exam. I know that their are quite a few out their.

Thank you,

Robert
    Look above for my summary of the written test. Of the commercially available written exam study guides I have seen, none are truly that helpful with a test like Seattle's (or at least what they have been using). Reading comprehension, memory, and ability to understand maps and diagrams are what you need.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 125cc View Post
    you might not want to mention that to any interview panel. In fact if you really feel that way, a prosperous city like Seattle may not be for you. May I suggest Detroit, Gary, Camden, or East St. Louis?
    You freakin' kidding me dude? You might not want to mention you love fighting fire?

What is the FIRE service coming to these days??????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnfra200302 View Post

Thank you,

Robert
    You will be given several hours of open book study time the day of the exam.

The test is a joke, and doesn't count towards your final candidate score. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

(assuming you're not a mouth breather)

Forum Member

I was down doing some training at the training facility yesterday and was told by the Trng Capt that the Asst Chief would like a 2011 class to start in August, but that HR is looking at Nov, possibly Feb '12, as the earliest they can get through the process. The Capt said we have the funding for it and his gut says Nov 11. Hope that provides some insight. Not gospel, just repeating what the conversation entailed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GRNFT View Post
    his gut says Nov 11.
    I made it to one of the training sessions and heard the same thing. The earliest they expect to hire anyone is around Thanksgiving of 2011.

Forum Member

Default Vets

I will be discharging from the Marines in February, just in time to take the test. Any other vets in my situation? I will be late getting my DD-214 turned in.

Forum Member

Just give the HR folks a heads up on your 214 so they can add it in after the test. They bend over backwards to help out military guys. I was active duty all through the process, and they really worked with me. Good luck.

Forum Member

I'm currently In Afghanistan and I would really like to apply for this job. Do you think they would be able to work around that? I'll be home late June/early July 2011 unfortunatly.

Forum Member

That I don't know. It never hurts to ask. I would think if you can't be here for the testing process, probably not. Thanks for serving though. Sometimes the military guys really do get the short end of the stick when it comes to hiring.

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Default King County EMS Certification

I was reading through the information about EMT licenses. It stated that reciprocity with other states/NREMT was only possible as an EMT-B, not at the Paramedic level. So, does that mean these folks will still only qualify to work as an EMT-B within the King County system?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    I was reading through the information about EMT licenses. It stated that reciprocity with other states/NREMT was only possible as an EMT-B, not at the Paramedic level. So, does that mean these folks will still only qualify to work as an EMT-B within the King County system?
    As I understand the King Co system, yes, you could only work as a basic there. It used to be, and I believe still is, that you had to go to a King Co medic school to be certified to work there as a medic. I think their protocols and standards are a little bit beyond the National Registry. I could be wrong and I'm sure one of the guys will set me straight if that's the case.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    Correct.

http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthserv...icOne/als.aspx

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys!

Thread Information