Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Seattle 2011

MembersZone Subscriber

I won't be able to attend one of the optional study workshops for the written exam. So I am wondering if anyone knows of a good study guide for their written exam. I know that their are quite a few out their.

Thank you,

Robert

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnfra200302 View Post
    I won't be able to attend one of the optional study workshops for the written exam. So I am wondering if anyone knows of a good study guide for their written exam. I know that their are quite a few out their.

Thank you,

Robert
    Look above for my summary of the written test. Of the commercially available written exam study guides I have seen, none are truly that helpful with a test like Seattle's (or at least what they have been using). Reading comprehension, memory, and ability to understand maps and diagrams are what you need.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 125cc View Post
    you might not want to mention that to any interview panel. In fact if you really feel that way, a prosperous city like Seattle may not be for you. May I suggest Detroit, Gary, Camden, or East St. Louis?
    You freakin' kidding me dude? You might not want to mention you love fighting fire?

What is the FIRE service coming to these days??????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnfra200302 View Post

Thank you,

Robert
    You will be given several hours of open book study time the day of the exam.

The test is a joke, and doesn't count towards your final candidate score. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

(assuming you're not a mouth breather)

Forum Member

I was down doing some training at the training facility yesterday and was told by the Trng Capt that the Asst Chief would like a 2011 class to start in August, but that HR is looking at Nov, possibly Feb '12, as the earliest they can get through the process. The Capt said we have the funding for it and his gut says Nov 11. Hope that provides some insight. Not gospel, just repeating what the conversation entailed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GRNFT View Post
    his gut says Nov 11.
    I made it to one of the training sessions and heard the same thing. The earliest they expect to hire anyone is around Thanksgiving of 2011.

Forum Member

Default Vets

I will be discharging from the Marines in February, just in time to take the test. Any other vets in my situation? I will be late getting my DD-214 turned in.

Forum Member

Just give the HR folks a heads up on your 214 so they can add it in after the test. They bend over backwards to help out military guys. I was active duty all through the process, and they really worked with me. Good luck.

Forum Member

I'm currently In Afghanistan and I would really like to apply for this job. Do you think they would be able to work around that? I'll be home late June/early July 2011 unfortunatly.

Forum Member

That I don't know. It never hurts to ask. I would think if you can't be here for the testing process, probably not. Thanks for serving though. Sometimes the military guys really do get the short end of the stick when it comes to hiring.

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Default King County EMS Certification

I was reading through the information about EMT licenses. It stated that reciprocity with other states/NREMT was only possible as an EMT-B, not at the Paramedic level. So, does that mean these folks will still only qualify to work as an EMT-B within the King County system?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    I was reading through the information about EMT licenses. It stated that reciprocity with other states/NREMT was only possible as an EMT-B, not at the Paramedic level. So, does that mean these folks will still only qualify to work as an EMT-B within the King County system?
    As I understand the King Co system, yes, you could only work as a basic there. It used to be, and I believe still is, that you had to go to a King Co medic school to be certified to work there as a medic. I think their protocols and standards are a little bit beyond the National Registry. I could be wrong and I'm sure one of the guys will set me straight if that's the case.

Forum Member

Correct.

http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthserv...icOne/als.aspx

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys!

Forum Member

How does Seattle FD feel about tattoos?

Forum Member

It's a non issue really as long as it's not offensive or on your face or something like that. We have guys sleeved up. Haven't seen anyone with hand, neck or face though. Not sure that would fly.

Forum Member

Hey, just a reminder today (7 Jan) is the last day to sign up for the SFD written exam in Feb. Good luck to all.

Forum Member

Default Hope this helps

Some inside info on Seattle hiring process. This is no secret, they just don't bother to publish it and it's like pulling teeth to get someone to actually say it. After your third interview you are put into one of three categories, "very suitable", "suitable", "less suitable". Those may not be the exact terms they use but that's the idea. Then someone (I was never able to nail down WHO) selects a number of those files to go to the chief for review. They then pick from those to select who goes to recruit school. Yep, your final "score" is never revealed to you and basically they just pick and choose anyway. Again, my words. I'm sure they would use much more HR positive terms for their process. Someone asked in an earlier message why they lose so many during a recruit class. IMHO they lose anywhere from 5-10 on average out of a class of 24 because they hire based on some sort of political criteria. I've never heard of another department having several people from each class leave because "this just isn't what I thought it would be". Are you kidding me? Out of the 2,000+ people who took their test, there are certainly 24 who are "very suitable" AND know exactly what they are getting into (previous experience, military, etc.). I guess the thing I don't like about Seattle's process is that it is based completely on "theoreticals". You can say pretty much anything you want during an interview as long as it hits the key words and points they are scoring on, and you present a professional front. I'm not saying they should only hire people with fire experience, just that I much prefer an interview process based on things you have actually DONE in your life. Real world answers.

Seattle will almost always hire unless the budget is REALLY bad. They run about 40 positions short at any given time and run overtime to fill (remember we are talking about a 1,000 line-personnel dept.). Even in tough times you are going to have people retiring because they were smart with their money, retiring off the line because of disability, or dying from cancer. Yep that's right. Sadly many who were fighting fires in the 70's and 80's were probably exposed to nasty stuff and maybe didn't wear their SCBAs as much as we do now. I worked at HQ for only 3 years and saw 2 chiefs die from cancer before retirement. They had a string of cancer deaths where all of those who died had worked at station 31 at about the same time. Correlation is not causation, but they did do all sorts of testing and a remodeling to assuage any fears about the station.

Seattle would be a great department to work for. Sadly their civil service process is your biggest enemy. Good luck and don't give up!

MembersZone Subscriber

From reading all the info in regards to the testing process, am I correct to say that the written exam is pass/fail?

Forum Member

Yes, the exam is pass/fail. I think passing is 70%. Based on the workshop material, it has a significant memorization component to it. I didn't think it was overly difficult, but don't dismiss it either.

I applied for the process, but I'm very apprehensive about the EMT requirement. I realize that's not a problem for many of you, but it is an issue for those of us who have full time careers.

I'm hoping that they'll like me enough to send me to King County's EMT school. Given the travel and schedule of my current job, I can't make it to a community college to get EMT certified. I could quit, but I think it's irresponsible to do so when my wife and I are trying to save for a house and family - especially given it can take years to get hired.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful_FF View Post
    Yes, the exam is pass/fail. I think passing is 70%. Based on the workshop material, it has a significant memorization component to it. I didn't think it was overly difficult, but don't dismiss it either.

I applied for the process, but I'm very apprehensive about the EMT requirement. I realize that's not a problem for many of you, but it is an issue for those of us who have full time careers.

I'm hoping that they'll like me enough to send me to King County's EMT school. Given the travel and schedule of my current job, I can't make it to a community college to get EMT certified. I could quit, but I think it's irresponsible to do so when my wife and I are trying to save for a house and family - especially given it can take years to get hired.
    Hate to say it, but most of the people in my EMT class also had full time jobs. If you want it bad enough, you'll do what you have to do to get it done.

Forum Member

Hopefull FF,

I feel you man, its tough especially with a family and a fulltime job. I took an evening and all day Saturday EMT class - I have 2 young boys and a wife.

The thing is, if you really want this job (firefighter) if you don't give it 100% of your attention and effort, it may be an extremely long road for you.

I say this because there are thousands of us giving 110% everyday...EMT Cert., Medic License, Volunteer FF, Paid-Call FF... Those are the ones who will get the call.

75-80% of calls are EMS not very many fires.

Forum Member

Hate to say it, but most of the people in my EMT class also had full time jobs. If you want it bad enough, you'll do what you have to do to get it done.
    It's not just a full-time job...mine requires travel 1-2 weeks per month. It's impossible for me to attend classes and still fulfill my work obligations.

Even if I managed to stay in town for 10 weeks, the drive from Redmond to Seattle by 5pm is a killer. I need a helicopter, or a class on the east side.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful_FF View Post
    It's not just a full-time job...mine requires travel 1-2 weeks per month. It's impossible for me to attend classes and still fulfill my work obligations.

Even if I managed to stay in town for 10 weeks, the drive from Redmond to Seattle by 5pm is a killer. I need a helicopter, or a class on the east side.
    Just remember, there are a lot of guys/gals that make major life changes just for a chance to apply at certain departments. Also, be careful what you imply in your posts. I went through 2 years of Paramedic school while working a full-time job and a part-time fire job. I guarantee you that there are many out here who've had it more difficult than that. Ultimately, you make the decisions you need to make.

That said, nobody will hold it against you if you choose your current job over EMT training. Just realize that, in a highly competitive process like this, having a particular license or certification is likely to push a candidate ahead of one who does not.

Thread Information