Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Seattle 2011

MembersZone Subscriber

In the past, if you are high up on the list, SFD has offered an accellerated EMT class. MikeyD may be able to clarify, but it is somewhere along the lines of a whole weekend for a month crammed down your gullet.

Forum Member

Thank you for the input all.

I've gone over it repeatedly these last few days, but ultimately I know I need to get EMT certified. Rather than take a chance that I'm high enough to get picked for King County's class, I'm going to try making this work.

We'll see how the idea goes over tomorrow at work!

Forum Member

I wont be goin for it this time.At least I know I mmade the very desirable group.Will be testing for Baltimore City next time round.Closer to home.Good luck to everyone.Quick tip to all those doing the written exams... STUDY with minimal breaks.You need the time to study.I studied my asse of and only got 70.2%...But made up for it in my interviews! 100 and 97.Seattle is a great city.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone receive their notice for the written exam yet?

Forum Member

No notification yet, just logged in to check application status and it says "written exam", but no date yet.

Forum Member

The website says we should know by February 1 which testing date we have. If not, we have to call by February 4.

Forum Member

I checked today and I have a scheduled exam time. You can submit changes if necessary. All tests are conducted at the University of Washington, either February 26 or 27, and your options are 7:30 am or 1:30 pm.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Just a bit more info that's not gospel from our "rumor mills". My buddy chatted with the Chief the other day and it sounds like the plan is 50-60 off of the list (so think 2 classes of 24-25 would be about right). It looks like HR and the budget will win out and the first class would be approx. Feb '12. Like I said, not gospel, but different than the Aug or Nov '11 earlier reported. Good luck on the written here at the end of the month.

Forum Member

Two drill classes? Rock and Roll....

Forum Member

Money dependent of course. Like I said, that's the "plan". Just follow the news on what Seattle's budget is doing and the FD will mirror. So far, the mayor has proven not to like to cut too much from PD and FD. Good luck in a few weeks.

Forum Member

Has anyone attended the oral board preparation sessions recently or in the past? I'm thinking of heading to the one offered tonight, depending on how valuable you all think it is.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful_FF View Post
    Has anyone attended the oral board preparation sessions recently or in the past? I'm thinking of heading to the one offered tonight, depending on how valuable you all think it is.
    YES!! Definately go!!

Forum Member

So how did the Oral Board prep go? Ive never attended one.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone have any info from the oral board prep they can share? I live in MN so attending myself is out of the question.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2011 sfd cpat

Was looking on NTN website and they say they are doing the CPAT for SFD in the month of march. But the SFD web page says candidates will be notified by mail of the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) date, time and location. Just want to make sure Im not missing anything. Anyone know what the story is?

Forum Member

The oral boards are formal. Business dress, ie suits and clean shaven are important. The panel is three FF or FF and Lts. The first round is 8 set questions designed to see if you want to be a FF, know and understand the job you will be expected to do, the dangers involved, and the complications you will face everyday. You only have 20 min to answer all the questions for the first round. The big thing is they look for the typical key words; teamwork, leader, work well with others, willing to learn, etc. Be able to give examples from your personal life.

As of now, don't go by the NTN. There is no way that Seattle will be through the written and both oral boards for a March CPAT. As of a few days ago, the hope was to have a August class this year. But they won't beable to get through all the steps in time. The current plan is a class in Fed '12 and another Aug '12. Not sure on the numbers.

Forum Member

Default written exam

what format is the test going to be? does anyone know? civil service??

Forum Member

Default Emt

Hopefull FF (and others):

When I was hired they gave the top 50 people the option to go through King County's EMT program, I believe at no cost. I don't think the program was accelerated though, and I think the schedule was 1 evening and 1 saturday a week, so Hopefull, whatever issues you have getting through a normal program are going to affect you here. The only accelerated EMT program I know of is one in California (google acclerated nremt courses). It was a 2 week course. I'll be honest though, you have to pass the national registry and then worry about reciprocity. I would definitely call King County first before going this route to make sure it would transfer. I would also be concerned about how good of an EMT you would be after a 2 week course.

I echo what the others say, at the end of the day you have to do whatever it takes to get the job, or you are just treading water with a 20lb brick over your head. Everyone has their own unique circumstances, work with your support network (spouse and kids) and get it done. I say this with the hindsight of someone that made some tough choices and watched others take the easy route...guess who got the job first?

Hope this helps, good luck to everyone on the test.

Forum Member

Does anyone know how many applied? I'm guessing 10,000 or so.

Forum Member

I believe they are expecting about 4300 to take the written this weekend.

Forum Member

Thanks. Flying up from California today. Seems like a better chance than the 12,000 who applied for SF.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GRNFT View Post
    I believe they are expecting about 4300 to take the written this weekend.
    Be sure to allow extra time to get to U Dub campus. They have been doing road contruction on 15 Ave NE right next to campus. It has slowed traffic the last few weekends and will probably only add more time with that many people coming in. Parking is limited, so plan accordingly.

Forum Member

Good luck this weekend ladies and gents. It's worth the ride...

MembersZone Subscriber

Good luck to everyone testing today.
    Remember; when in doubt, "C".

Forum Member

Took the test yesterday...felt good...hope for an interview date...Good luck to everyone. If anyone has any interview advice for SEattle, I'd really appreciate it as I won't be able to attend an orientation - I'm an out of stater...

Thread Information