Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Seattle 2011

And 15 minutes for the interview. Talk about first impressions..

Forum Member

Does anyone know what the keywords are that they are looking for in the first interview?

Forum Member

Is there interview similar to LA County where (I've heard) they are literally just looking for keywords over and above the real content of the responses? If so...I'd love some help too.

Forum Member

Not sure how much help your going to get. Some of us have been testing\interviewing with Seattle for 5+ years, figuring out the interview process is half the battle. No disrespect.

MembersZone Subscriber

So has anyone had their interview yet? If yes, how do you think it went? My interview is not till April 6th.

Now. Now.
    No trying to talk about interviews that are currently going on.

Took my interview recently. All the interviewers were very proffessional and made the interview as comfortable as could be. Good Luck to everyone.

cb3
    Forum Member

Does anyone know if Seattle FD will have an academy before 2012?

Forum Member

I really doubt if we'll have an academy before 2012 - it was 1 year between taking the written and actually starting the academy when I was hired, and they knew they had the funding then, I would expect that Seattle will wait till the latest round of budget cuts shakes out and then begin the class. Just my $.02 based on history.

cb3
    Forum Member

How many month(s) notice do they give before the start of an academy?

Forum Member

According the job posting the hire date is set for July 1st, 2011, nothing about when training will begin.

Forum Member

So the list posts 7/1, from there they take the top 25% of the list (certify it). Those people are then interviewed by 2 Captains and they decide who they are going to actually hire off the list. Then those people are sent to pre-employment (cpat, medicals, psych, background, etc) and then hired. The year I was hired I think we had a good idea about whether we were getting a job in November, and the official offer of employment wasn't until December, for a January start. So usually you have 4-6 weeks notice, which isn't a whole lot of time to get uniforms, start on books, etc. Certainly a busy time.

Forum Member

So is everyone in the 25% certied list given an additional interview?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha6568 View Post
    So is everyone in the 25% certied list given an additional interview?
    Top 25% is determined after the 2nd oral board interview. Your three scores, written and 2 oral boards, are combined and then you are ranked on than. The 25% will come off that list.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scubadvr View Post
    Top 25% is determined after the 2nd oral board interview. Your three scores, written and 2 oral boards, are combined and then you are ranked on than. The 25% will come off that list.
    I had no idea they were scoring the written also. I thought it was just a pass/fail exam you needed to pass to get to the orals...

Forum Member

I think this year the written is out of the scoring. I've talked to some people on the oral panels and that's the impression I got. In the past written was part of the final score, but now I'm fairly confident it's pass/fail and your 2 oral boards combined will be your score to get your ranking on the eligibility list. After they establish that list, you'll know if you're in the top 100 and eligible for EMT class through the department. You'll also participate in CPAT, background, and initial psych. I'm not sure if they'll do the Capt/Chief interviews before that or not. Seattle does not hire 1-XXX on the eligibility list. They can pull anyone off of the eligibility list.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scubadvr View Post
    According to the website "Candidates who pass all portions of the exam will be placed on an eligible list according to their performance on the oral exams (including veteranís preference). Candidates will be informed of their final score and ranking on the eligible list by approximately July 1, 2011 ." This has also been stated numerous times; introduction at the written, introduction at the oral, at both written and oral workshops and online.

Forum Member

Repeat: Do all candidates on the certified list go to another oral board, or does SPD/HR pick a subset from the certified list to proceed? Please do not reply to this question if you do not know the answer. (If no one replies, that means no one knows). Thx.

Forum Member

Top 25% gets an additional interview

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha6568 View Post
    Repeat: Do all candidates on the certified list go to another oral board, or does SPD/HR pick a subset from the certified list to proceed? Please do not reply to this question if you do not know the answer. (If no one replies, that means no one knows). Thx.
    Off the job announcement on Seattle's website:

"The Personnel Departmentís role is to establish an eligible list and, upon request by the Seattle Fire Department, to certify (provide names, addresses, etc.) the top 25% of all the candidates on the eligible list. The Fire Department will directly contact those individuals whom they have selected to proceed to the next step in the pre-employment process.

The Seattle Fire Department makes all hiring decisions after a multi-step pre-employment selection process, which includes a background investigation, additional interviews, physical agility exam, psychological and medical exams. A pre-employment drug test is required by the Seattle Fire Department. Candidates must possess a valid Washington State EMT certification at the time of appointment."

Thread Information