View Poll Results: What would you do?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Quit, as the contract was voided when the weekend shift was taken away.

1 11.11%
  • Do nothing, continue to put in for my desired shifts and take what I get.

2 22.22%
  • Split the time between the two departments and see what happens.

1 11.11%
  • **** and Moan until everone hates me.

5 55.56%
    Forum Member

Default New Chief, old ways....

Feeling Regret.....
    Last edited by mcdonl; 10-28-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Forum Member

Have you made an appointment with the "new" chief and expressed your feelings ? If I was your chief , it would stand a better chance for a favorable (to both parties) if I heard about it face to face instead of 3rd party. If I was the chief of your "new" department , and read this, I would be looking at you with a new light.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Have you made an appointment with the "new" chief and expressed your feelings ? If I was your chief , it would stand a better chance for a favorable (to both parties) if I heard about it face to face instead of 3rd party. If I was the chief of your "new" department , and read this, I would be looking at you with a new light.
    Oh yes, first thing I did. I stopped in to see him first, then sent a follow up email. I expressed I was concerned that I was going to be lost in the shuffle of out with the old, in with the new.

Than, at a department meeting I asked about how scheduling would be handled (Vollies first, than perdiems....) and it was stated that it would indeed be vollies first, then Perdiems.

When the schedule came out, I immediatly called and asked what gives... he said he had to do what he had to do, and that was make the Perdiems happy. He also indicated that he makes decisions on his own, and does not include others... and that is just the way it is so I did not bother asking any more.

So, I went out of my way to communicate before, during and ONCE after the whole change went down.

Now I am feeling left out in the cold.

Sure, I am a "valued" member as he states, and I can get all of the volly night shifts I want to, as they are unpaid and no one likes rescue calls in the middle of the night...He treats me fine, I am just afraid that as I approach the end of my EMT-I training I am not going to get the call volume I feel I need to stay on top of things.

(By the way, I was the ONLY person to even sign up for a night a week about 21 of the 30 nights in November are uncovered as of right now)

Forum Member

Before I give any advice or opinion can I get some more information such as what happened to facilitate the above poll.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leeland View Post
    Before I give any advice or opinion can I get some more information such as what happened to facilitate the above poll.
    Thanks Leland. I guess I got freaked out because I noticed someone watching the thread from the next town over.

Anyway, new chief... gave all day shifts to Per Diems first and vollies last... for the past 18 months or so I have helped the interim chief with admin work, handled the vast majority of EMS calls and did station duties, etc... now I cannot even get the Sunday shift I have had for the past year. I guess I am just upset because it is a hit of about $400-$600 a month out of my pocket that my family was enjoying. It is not my job, and I volly a lot... I just enjoyed that one paid shift a week that made it all a little easier for my wife and kids to swallow.

I asked to have the thread deleted, but it is against the policy. I suppose that this will come back and bite me in the butt because of it.

Thread Information