Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Need advise on what classes to take

I am currently looking to become a firefighter here in Florida. I am planning to get certified and was wondering what would be best for me to do. I know Miami Dade Community College offers EMT certification and Paramedic Certification. Should I get certified as a EMT first before going to their Fire Academy or should I just go straight to the Fire Academy that they offer in Miami Dade Community College. Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you

Forum Member

Tough call. If you do emt then ff you forget some emt stuff ..... if you do it the other way around ... you forget a LOT of firefighter stuff. I vote EMT. Then you are applying with FD's while getting your medic.

PS being a medic helps u get hired as ff. HINT HINT.

Forum Member

Thanks for the advise. I'm a veteran and with my EMT certification do you think I'm going to have a hard time getting hired?

Forum Member

You will get Veteran's points, which will help you out.

If I could do it again I would of went through EMT first, before fire. Alot of the academies in the state are requiring you to have an EMT cert at the time of your application nowadays, not sure about Miami-Dade. Fire school hits on alot of the basics of EMT, and will keep it somewhat fresh in your mind, so that will help for medic school as well.
    Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

You used to be able to go right into the fire academy but now they require you to have your EMT certifications so your gonna have to do that first. Im currently in EMT school here in Tampa then im going to the fire academy in the spring.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nappleto7 View Post
    You used to be able to go right into the fire academy but now they require you to have your EMT certifications so your gonna have to do that first. Im currently in EMT school here in Tampa then im going to the fire academy in the spring.
    Some DO require it but mine didn't. I had already taken the EMT class but no state license yet when i had gone through fire school. Lake Tech fire academy.

Forum Member

Most all schools in Florida require EMT for admission to the academy, with few exceptions. EMT then fire because veteran points will help, then medic and any other classes you can take such as EVOC, Pump classes, Fire Sciences, as long as you can handle it in addition to your medic classes.

Without vet points I would always recommend EMT, medic, then fire.

And there are hiring tests that require you to spell correctly. Just FYI.

Forum Member

Are Lake Tech and CFFA arguably the 2 best schools in Central FL? I know that CFFA is a bit more expensive. Curious as to why that is, and if the price difference is justified.

Forum Member

I recommend doing it the way i did it. I went to Miami Dade College for EMT (you need first responder to enter program) then as i waited for me to be eligible to take my state/national exam i went to Coral Springs Fire Academy. After the fire academy i started paramedics. Miami Dade doesn't let you start your paramedic program until you are a certified EMT. You also need BSC 2085 and BSC 2085L which is anatomy and physiology 1 in order to get into the paramedic program. It may seem like it takes a while but i was able to accomplish everything in 2 years and i graduate with my EMS degree this semester. Going to a college is the best way to go about it. I know some departments now ask if you went to a college or a private program. Nothing against private programs but ive spoken to many people and your better off going to a college to do it. Goodluck let me know if you have any questions

Thread Information