Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Training at Goodfellow AFB

A friend of mine is going into Fire Protection at Goodfellow AFB next year after he completes basic training. We've pretty much researched everything we could find online. The only thing we can't find is more information about washing out/fail rates. We've heard the wash out rates can be pretty high, especially for people without previous firefighting experience (which he doesn't have) so we're trying to find out more.

Does anyone know anything about washing out/failing out of Fire Protection tech school?

How often are you tested? What happens if you fail a test -- are you immediately out of the program? How many fails are allowed, if any? What sections do people fail out of the most? Can you wash out any time or are you pretty much safe after the first few weeks? In other words, if you're doing okay the first few weeks, do you have a pretty good chance of making it all the way through? Or conversely, if you're having trouble with tests the first couple weeks, does that mean this job is not for you and you will most likely fail? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for focusing on the negative, but it seems like nobody else wants to...
    Last edited by mimibee; 10-31-2010 at 06:49 PM.

Forum Member

Default The Louis Garland Fire Academy

It has been said that it is the toughest fire academy in the States. All branches of the service train their Firefighters there.

First of all, RELAX!!! Don't panic. Wash out rates are good anywhere you go. Some of the toughest parts are making sure you study for the exams. Making sure you learn to breathe during the timed events. 30 seconds is a lot longer than it sounds. Make sure you know your knots. That portion for some reason tends to be one of the hardest for people. Here is the List.
    1. Bowline
    2. Figure 8
    3. Figure 8 on a bite
    4. Half hitch
    5. Clove Hitch
    6. Square

I may be missing one, but know them. It's best to go to a fire academy without any knowledge. You don't have any bad habits. Just enjoy the experience. It will be tough. But IT CAN BE DONE... Good luck
    Stay Safe
    Dan Ortiz

Forum Member

A couple of websites to check

http://www.firefighternation.com/gro...cefirefighters

You might post the question here.;;;;

http://dodfire.com/

Forum Member

I had zero fire fighting experience and I passed with no problem. We lost some and gained some as we went through. And yes, all branches train there. I was Marine Crash Crew. 7051!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecJNu...e_gdata_player

Check out some of the you tube of goodfellow

Forum Member

There are 8 blocks of training. Each block has 1 to 2 tests. You get 2 chances to pass the test, if you dont pass you get washed back to the beginning of that block. If you don't pass any practical examination, same thing applies. If your buddy is not a complete idiot, then he should be fine. Listen, take notes, and be in somewhat good physical shape... basic will help with that a little.

Forum Member

I forgot what grade level the courses are written to

Maybe 9th ?? 10th

Forum Member

...its got to be much lower than that...

The school curriculum is broken into six blocks. Block 1 is First Responder training covering topics from CPR to childbirth. Block 2 is Fire Protection Fundamentals dealing with fire behavior, protection and prevention. Block 3, Structural Fire Fighting Principles, and Block 4, Structural Fire Ground Operations, teach students how to understand and fight fires in a building or similar structure. Block 5 is Hazardous Materials training, covering awareness, planning and environmental regulations. Block 6 teaches Airport Firefighting, focusing on specialized training for flight line areas. The course is written to the 8th grade level and they will test in the first block to make sure your friend can read and comprehend that level.

If you fail a test, you wil get to retest. If you fail retests you may go to academic review board. You may also fail physical evaluations, but some PE's may hold more weight than others. If I remember correctly you can only fail 2 tests or 2 PE's before you can be kicked from the course. You can also be kicked for stupid stuff.. My class had 2 guys kicked on the very last day due to paperwork, missed outprocessing briefs and just not having what it took.. You can also fail out for not being able to meet the physical exhausting needs of the job. You get 3 chances to pass Firefighter PT.. once in the first week (Failing puts you in a pt class), once in the third block (failing continues the PT class) and if you fail those your final chance comes in when you finish HazMat but before you start the 6th block. (6th block PT test is only required if you fail the 3rd block PT test.) If you fail this last firefighter PT, you are automatically dropped from the course. If your friend studies hard, utilizes all the study groups and is in physically good condition, he should have no problem. This school does have a high washout rate as it is one of the harder schools in the military, so be prepared for that.

-Damien
    Last edited by DFurtman; 11-06-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Forum Member

i have been a civilian firefighter for two years. i am looking to join the air force. i completed one of the top academy's in the state of north carolina and a buddy from marine crash crew told me that it is possible to test out of certain blocks of the goodfellow fire academy i am just looking to see if there is any truth to his statement.. ???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jobooth18 View Post
    i have been a civilian firefighter for two years. i am looking to join the air force. i completed one of the top academy's in the state of north carolina and a buddy from marine crash crew told me that it is possible to test out of certain blocks of the goodfellow fire academy i am just looking to see if there is any truth to his statement.. ???

i think its technically possible, but hard to actually get done. my room mate had been a volunteer for 3 years prior to enlisting and had every cert we were getting except ARFF and he still had to do the entire academy.

Quote Originally Posted by jobooth18 View Post
    With all of two years of civilian experience, I understand that you are better than the Air Force training....

My big question, what would be the point of testing out if you could? Every class I have ever been to I learn something new.

Forum Member

I am currently in the Fire Academy at Goodfellow AFB and you can test out of the blocks but its only if you have IFSTA certs.

Forum Member

Hi, I will be graduating high school soon and am interested in the Goodfellow Air Base Fire Academy, but have a few questions. What is the age requirement? Do you have to be enlisted in the military to train there? After graduating the academy are there any leads to jobs in the fire service (civilian or military).

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Gomezz View Post
    Hi, I will be graduating high school soon and am interested in the Goodfellow Air Base Fire Academy, but have a few questions. What is the age requirement? Do you have to be enlisted in the military to train there? After graduating the academy are there any leads to jobs in the fire service (civilian or military).

Thank You
    Age requirement I assume is 18, or 17 with your parents signed approval. You do not have to be in the Military, but I don't know of any federal military base that will hire some kid off the streets as a firefighter without any prior training and experience. My base does hire college kids who have their firefighter 1 and sends them to the military academy, but they only hire a limited amount per year (like 2 or 3), it's extremely competitive and there is no guarantee you will keep your job when you are done with college. My base is the only base that has this program. The only way you will go there is if you're hired by a military base and sent there or if you join the military. You have better chances by going into the military as a firefighter to go to that school than you do hoping a base hires you and sends you there without any experience. Leaving the academy as a military member will send you to a base for your enlistment. Considering how much experience, certifications and training you achieve while you're in, you may have a good shot at lining up a job after you get out of the Military, but there is no guarantee.

-Damien

Forum Member

I have a question that a friend of mine ask me, can any of you answer it for him. How do you join the DoD as a civilian and get to goto Goodfellow Afb for the Academy?

Quote Originally Posted by Jmason66 View Post
    I have a question that a friend of mine ask me, can any of you answer it for him. How do you join the DoD as a civilian and get to goto Goodfellow Afb for the Academy?
    Do a advanced series search on usajobs.com looking for a GS-03 or a GS-04 position. You're looking for the 0081 series.

-Damien

Forum Member

Dfurtman:

So if I enlist in the Air Force as a firefighter will I defiantley be sent to Goodfellow (or another air force base with fire training) immediatley? Does the Air Force only accept a limited amount of Firefighters a year? After you complete your training are you pretty much garunteed a job as a Air Force firefighter?

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Gomezz View Post
    Dfurtman:

So if I enlist in the Air Force as a firefighter will I defiantley be sent to Goodfellow (or another air force base with fire training) immediatley? Does the Air Force only accept a limited amount of Firefighters a year? After you complete your training are you pretty much garunteed a job as a Air Force firefighter?

Thank You
    Yes, gomezz, if you enlist as a firefighter in the af, you will go to goodfellow immediately after boot camp. Goodfellow is the only fire academy for the military. There are a limit of slots to the school, so you may have difficulty getting a slot.

If you enlist in the USAF as a firefighter, you will be working as a firefighter at the base you are assigned to, in the military. Once you get out of the military, there is no guarantee that you will have a job as a firefighter as a civilian.

-Damien

Forum Member

Thank you for all the answer, I just have one more questions. Is there anything I can do prior to enlisting to better my chances of getting a slot in the school?

Thanks Again the information is very helpful

Thread Information