Forum Member

Default States with Better Chances of Getting Hired In

Anybody have any idea on which states have better chances of getting hired in? I will go any where.

Forum Member

Just one man's opinion, BUT I would go west. The tax base for most west coast and southwest cities "seems" to be higher, so chances for future hiring may be brighter there. But short of that, there are many of departments that are starting to loosen up the purse strings all over the nation. Just stay tuned to Firehouse.com forums!!

"The Axeman"

Forum Member

Just wondering because here in Cali they're big on being a medic and I'm not too keen on that idea. I'd still love to live here. Maybe work in Nevada or something and fly back on my day off's? Just a thought.

Forum Member

Texas once you get certified

Check this web site weekly:::

http://www.tcfp.state.tx.us/employment.asp

Forum Member

Would my out of state EMT and Fire Academy 1 Completion (both from California) transfer over?

Forum Member

EMT would if you have national registry. You may be able to get some fire cert but you'd have to test out and may just be easier going throught fire academy again. You could use training division they're based out of texas. To answer the original question I don't feel any state is easier than another, I've lived in 3. But it is usually easier if you apply somewhere rural where they need workers but don't have applicants. I would say TX is a pretty good market though so to speak.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Texas once you get certified

Check this web site weekly:::

http://www.tcfp.state.tx.us/employment.asp

Roger that, just looked at it this morning.

Big Spring looking for firefighter!!

Forum Member

http://www.tcfp.state.tx.us/standards/transferring.asp

It is easier to call them and ask the questions

Certification
    Tim Rutland, Program Supervisor (512) 936-3825
    Sylvia Miller, Certification Officer (512) 936-3826
    Bobby Clakley, Certification Officer (512) 936-3828
    Mickey Pophin, Certification Officer (512) 936-3827
    Laurie Taylor, Administrative Assistant IV

And on the state test you take all you have you hit is 70 %%

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySF View Post
    Just wondering because here in Cali they're big on being a medic and I'm not too keen on that idea. I'd still love to live here. Maybe work in Nevada or something and fly back on my day off's? Just a thought.
    If you're not interested in the medic EMS side you are limiting where you will be able to test not matter where you move.

Can I improve my chances of getting hired if I move to a different area?

Do yourself a big favor. Test everywhere you can from where you live. Because the more tests you take the better you get at taking tests. Donít even think about moving until you get the invitation in writing that you have the job. Never move away from family, friends, support and established connections thinking that will improve your chances of getting a badge.

ďThe grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Itís just as hard to crew, you have to water it too, itís just different grass.Ē

This is not the first time I've seen this question. A candidate is invited to the chiefís oral. He just knows they want him. He gives notice at his job, his apartment and finds a new apartment for the city he is being considered for. He starts packing. After the chiefís interview he is notified to complete the medical, given the date for the academy, uniform fitting and then the psych. He flies down to complete these items in two days. He goes by with his wife to check on the new apartment, flies home and waits for the mover to show up the next day.

Donít touch that dial. There is something wrong with the psych interview. It comes back inconclusive. They want him to retake the psych. But the movers are on their way. I can taste that badge. I know they want me.

The point here is to test from where you live now.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Capt. Bob,

What are some things that would cause the psych interview to come back inconclusive?

Thanks...

Forum Member

I'd say stick to BLS if you have no interest in being a paramedic. Sure you will limit choices but, its unfair to the patients, yourself, and the profession itself to do it anyways. If the dept. wants paramedics, I'd bet that's most of what you'll be doing. Do you really want to work somewhere and be dong something you dislike 60-80% of the time?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Capt. Bob,

What are some things that would cause the psych interview to come back inconclusive?

Thanks...
    Inconclusive means you didn't fail but you didn't pass either. So, you don't move forward.

Biggest reason for inconclusive is you were too perfect. No one should be too perfect.

What if you don't Pass the Conditional offer Medical?

What do you do if you have not passed a part of the medical, poly or psyc test? You're in California right?

Pre-employment medical examinations must comply with the Federal Americans with Disabilities Act and in California with the California Fair Employment Act Section 7294.0(d) of title 2 of the California Code of Regulations states:

(2) Where the results of such medical examination would result in disqualification, an applicant or employee may submit independent medical opinions for consideration before a final determination on disqualification is made.

What this states is that if you have not passed a medical psychological test or poly that was part of a medical, you should be given the chance to obtain a second opinion. Cities and agencies might not be aware of this law. Most people are unaware that they can appeal the decision.

If you’re given the chance for a second opinion you will probably have to pay for it yourself. Don’t let them send you to another evaluator down the hall at the same agency to for another evaluation.

If you pass the second evaluation don’t fall for the trap of the agency wanting a third evaluator to look at both reports and pass final judgment.

Don’t be surprised if the hiring agency refuses to hire you even if you pass the second poly. Again they could cause you to take legal action to make it happen.

Never sign a form on a retest with the agency you have been to before allowing them to release your original evaluation to anyone they want. In many areas there is only one agency doing the evaluations. Many candidates were sent to an agency from a fire department and have failed.

Another department will offer them a job conditional on the medical including the psych. What do you think your chances are of passing the poly with the same firm? Duh. If you are in this situation request another agency even if you have to pay and travel to another city.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySF View Post
    Well if you're gonna work in anybody's fire service, get used to the idea of performing pre-hospital care. Now that said; there are many departments on the east coast and down south that are "out" on the ems or pre-hospiatl care duties and often farm those duties out to private services. But here on the west coast, the large majority of urban, municipal departments not only provide paramedic services, but are proud to do it!!

"The Axeman"

MembersZone Subscriber

There has been pretty heavy hiring in the Memphis metro area the past few years...
    FTM-PTB

Thread Information