Forum Member

Default Where, if anywhere can I go from here.

Hello,
    Im new so let me introduce myself, Im Evan and 16 years old. I recently applied to a local Fire dept. I was denied based on the fact I was out of there district. But about 4 months before I applied I went to there open house and had talked to them and I was told I was inside there district. I was given an application. I had even done and interview with way I wanted to be a firefighter and why I wanted to join that dept. After I turned 16 I filled out my application and had it into the dept within a week of my 16th birthday. Two days later I got the application back in the mail stating I was out of district and they could not accept it. My mother and I did everything to attempt to have them allow me to join. We went to one of there fire officers meetings and tried to appeal the rejection of the application, with no luck. Now I believe I have used up everything possible to have my application accepted. But I thought I would ask you all and see if there is any other options I haven't tried.
    Thank you all and stay safe.

Forum Member

Join the department in your district....
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Join the department in your district....
    As GTRider said try a department in which you live in their district.

Stop playing with the computers at school too!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    As GTRider said try a department in which you live in their district.

Stop playing with the computers at school too!
    We have the day off today. Its a superintendence day today. But the problem with that is one: I live closer to that dept that the one in my district. and two: my non wont let me join the other dept she would much rather me join that one I was rejected at.

Forum Member

There, their, they're.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Fire departments have rules

1. Follow the rules

2. If there is a problem see rule #1

3. Otherwise do not join the fire department

One other option not mentioned move into the district

Forum Member

Talking

Since you just turned 16: does the department have an explorer or junior program?
    If not then you cannot become a member until you are of legal age, which in most states is 18.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Since you just turned 16: does the department have an explorer or junior program?
    If not then you cannot become a member until you are of legal age, which in most states is 18.
    This is dept is the exception to the rule. When 16 you can perform all the duty's of other members of older age.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    There, their, they're.
    You beat me to it.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by soontobeff View Post
    We have the day off today. Its a superintendence day today. But the problem with that is one: I live closer to that dept that the one in my district. and two: my non wont let me join the other dept she would much rather me join that one I was rejected at.
    Many departments limit membership to those in their response area. There are valid reasons.

The fact is, there will be times you may be closer to another department. That's life. Buck up and join the department that covers your area. Or don't join, and don't be a firefighter.

It's your choice.

Forum Member

problem with that is one: I live closer to that dept that the one in my district. and two: my non wont let me join the other dept she would much rather me join that one I was rejected at.

How? If you live closer to the rejected dept, why isn't it your responding dept?

Also, please deal with the spelling and grammar issues if you want to be taken seriously
    Last edited by Capt387; 11-03-2010 at 09:43 AM.
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down? (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Forum Member

This is dept is the exception to the rule. When 16 you can perform all the duty's of other members of older age.
    I smell something that is out in a cow or horse pasture.

That department is the Exception! I bet.

I don't know any in this day in time that allow kids or 16 to be able to do as older members do.

In which state are you located sonny??
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I smell something that is out in a cow or horse pasture.

That department is the Exception! I bet.

I don't know any in this day in time that allow kids or 16 to be able to do as older members do.

In which state are you located sonny??
    I think his youth might have caused him not to understand totally
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down? (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Forum Member

Talking

I rather doubt it as state and federal labor laws preclude a minor from being involved in certain functions. Juniors/ minors may take training in operations , but cannot be involved in ILDH operations. Those are federal standards,ie OSHA, Dept of labor. Also insurance regulations will not allow these types of participation.

Do your homework and study things such as english, spelling & grammar.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just giving you the facts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Capt387 View Post
    How? If you live closer to the rejected dept, why isn't it your responding dept?

Also, please deal with the spelling and grammar issues if you want to be taken seriously

Not uncommon in many areas of the country to have the responding department not be closest.

In fact, in the area I lived previous to this there was a department that had a section of tier district that was closer to 2 fire departments than it was to thier station. At one point, we ran mutual aid into it but they discontinued it at that the request of the police chief, who was concerned about our policy of allowing POV rersponse.

The funny thing was that 2 of our 3 stations were closer than thiers. We actually had one that was less than 1/10 of a mile from the line.

Progressive departments identify these issues and develop response plans utilizing the closest department. Problem is, those progressive departments thend to be the exception and not the rule.

There are examples of that in this area as well, however, the rating system in LA actually punishes departments that run auto aid by reducing the number of available firefighters if auto aid (and EMS) exceeds a given percentage of total runs.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 11-03-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Forum Member

"Also, please deal with the spelling and grammar issues if you want to be taken seriously."

More than a few should take this to heart.

"Thiers"???

Spellchecker. Use it.
    Last edited by joemac356; 11-03-2010 at 03:28 PM.

Forum Member

Default State's Rights?

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    I rather doubt it as state and federal labor laws preclude a minor from being involved in certain functions. Juniors/ minors may take training in operations , but cannot be involved in ILDH operations. Those are federal standards,ie OSHA, Dept of labor. Also insurance regulations will not allow these types of participation.
    What about state's that specifically include volunteer firefighters under the age of 18 in their child labor laws? Maryland I know has it specifically written in there an exception for those over the age of 16 but not yet 18 and it basically goes like this: If you're a member of a volunteer fire company child labor laws DO NOT apply and for hazardous work in a volunteer fire company you must be at least the age of 16 and have completed a course of study in firefighting. Seems awfully specific to me to disallow someone under the age of 18 to be a firefighter as long as they meet the conditions listed above.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by joemac356 View Post
    "Also, please deal with the spelling and grammar issues if you want to be taken seriously."

More than a few should take this to heart.

"Thiers"???

Spellchecker. Use it.

Forum Member

I'm sorry about my spelling and grammar issues. I've got my self into the bad habit of not using the proper grammar and spelling. So for that I'm sorry. And as far as the department allowing minors to do the same as older members is true, I live in New York state and I was told this is the only department that allows this. But I have talked to my mom and she has agreed to let me join the other department. So when I get back from Canada I will be filling out an application. Thank you all for your help. (I hope I got most my mistakes, but I think some may still be in there)

Thread Information