Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Physicals

Forum Member

Question Physicals

Does anyone have any info on what all you have to have for your physicals for that truck grants???

Forum Member

Would like to bring this back to the top.

For all you that was lucky enough to get a vehicle awards, what are you doing about the physical requirements?

Is there a set of requirements out there that tells you what is needed?

I've looked at NFPA 1852, I don't see anything that states items for driving physical, but I may have missed it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Forum Member

Default call your dhs rep

I would call you region rep they will direct you best on this subject. Have them put it in email form so you have a paper trail. Here is what I got from my rep.

Everyone who will be driving this truck must have a physical per NFPA 1582. This is a much more extensive physical that even what is required for CDL. Only the driver(s) of the new vehicle need to have NFPA 1582 physicals. The new standard for FY 2011 has not been approved yet so as of today, drivers should meet the 1582 standard.

Hope this helps

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MVFD64 View Post
    Does anyone have any info on what all you have to have for your physicals for that truck grants???
    Reading off my quote from a company familiar with NFPA 1582. We got awarded an 09 grant and are currently getting the physicals done.

Cardiac stress test
    Complete H&P
    UA/Dip
    Audiogram
    Chest X-ray
    EKG
    Pulmonary function/spirometry
    CBC
    Chem 23
    PSA
    Vision w Ishihara color test
    fitness and Performance
    PPD
    5 panel drug test

Not a medical expert and don't know what half this is but thats whats on our list. All total about 600 dollars from this company per person per year.

Forum Member

Default physical

Not sure where you are at but medcompass.com in Minnesota has a traveling squad that will do them for around $250. Shoot them an email.

Forum Member

Alright,
    I might be going crazy, but for some reason i cannot find the specific requirement for the physicals in the program guidance anymore. All I find is the minimums are:

"For the FY 2009 program year, vehicle grantees will be required to certify that they have in place, or that they will adopt policies and procedures that comply with Chapter 6 of NFPA 1500 Standard on Fire Department Occupational Safety and Health Program. Specifically, the SOPs should require at a minimum: 1) all occupants of the grantee’s apparatus to use seatbelts or restraints and 2) all drivers of the grantee’s apparatus adhere to all traffic signs, signals, and laws."

-2009 AFG gudance, pg 15

So we just need seatblet use and traffic law adherence SOP/Enforcement?

My head hurts....again.

250? Thats cheaper than just our bloodwork. I have sent them a request.

Just got word, they don't do it here. MN, ND,SD, WI, and IA is their coverage area.
    Last edited by LVFD301; 03-09-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by geefireman View Post
    Not sure where you are at but medcompass.com in Minnesota has a traveling squad that will do them for around $250. Shoot them an email.
    $250?? What language to they speak? Everything go to India/China/____?

A CDL physical + blood work runs more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by CCCFire09 View Post
    Alright,
    I might be going crazy, but for some reason i cannot find the specific requirement for the physicals in the program guidance anymore. All I find is the minimums are:

"For the FY 2009 program year, vehicle grantees will be required to certify that they have in place, or that they will adopt policies and procedures that comply with Chapter 6 of NFPA 1500 Standard on Fire Department Occupational Safety and Health Program. Specifically, the SOPs should require at a minimum: 1) all occupants of the grantee’s apparatus to use seatbelts or restraints and 2) all drivers of the grantee’s apparatus adhere to all traffic signs, signals, and laws."

-2009 AFG gudance, pg 15

So we just need seatblet use and traffic law adherence SOP/Enforcement?

My head hurts....again.
    I'm pretty certain that the requirements for the physicals come out of NFPA 1002. No one is very happy about it, but it seems as though we're stuck. If you find the actual chapter please post.

NFPA 1002 says your vehicle operators have to comply with NFPA 1001 - its at the begining of each vehicle type chapter.

NFPA 1001 4.1(3) says you have to comply with the medical requirements of NFPA 1582.

Then the headaches start. And yes, FEMA does realize exactly what they are asking of us. Try getting those physicals for 250 a pop....

And yes, any tobacco use is a failure. Smoking, chewing, using it as a poultice, etc.

Forum Member

FYI starting in 2011 it's dropping to just the basic CDL physical...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Wow that's great news. 2nd best of the year for FG (after getting the questions).

Got a reference Brian?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    So Brian, you saying the 2011 AFG program or in the year 2011?

Forum Member

Officially....no. Have to wait until the PG comes out to have a "real" document to mention. But of course our newsletter subscribers will get the rundown here shortly of the changes to come.

Since Hines replied same time as I did, to answer his question it's for the 2011 AFG so 2010s still need to use the 2010 PG and make it full NFPA compliant unless they start to allow appeals in mid-stream.
    Last edited by BC79er; 03-14-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: answering hines...

Forum Member
    Smack dab in the middle of Central Illinois

My department was awarded a grant this year to replace our brush truck. We are just now realizing this requirement of the grant. There is NO WAY we will be able to afford annual physicals for all of our drivers (17). Is there any chance of using grant funds to pay for the physicals?

Forum Member

Only if you asked for the funding as part of the truck, or if you find one less expensive then you can use half the excess funds to do it. Hence the need to read guidelines completely, because if you can't handle the physicals you either have to turn the award back in now, or not do them and then get caught in the audit and either pay the physicals then or give the feds back the money. Could try an amendment since 2011 is dropping the NFPA physicals, but don't see them passing it since the PG is law and can't be bent within the confines of that year's laws, regardless of what they were before or after that specific year.

Talking

Or provide physicals for a set number of operators for that vehicle and wait for the POP to run out.

Forum Member

POP doesn't matter for compliance with the PG. Same as if you don't meet the matching, just because POP passes doesn't mean you don't owe the money back. Physicals also have to be for all personnel that get behind the wheel of any department owned vehicle, not just the one awarded by AFG. Chiefs driving Chiefs cars need the physicals even if they never touch a BRT.

Talking

I stand corrected . My bad

Forum Member

No biggie, it's a confusing pain in the arse for us and for DHS, which the reason it looks like it's just back to the DOT physicals for 2011.

Thread Information