Forum Member

Default Rookie hand book help!!! to answer some questions please HELP!!!!

I know I know .... but if any of you have any

- What does 50:1 fuel ratio mean????.

-What type of fuel does saw's generators and fans take?.

- What's the difference between Utility rope and life line???.

-What does Flying stand pipe mean?.

-

Can any one define.

Driver-

OIC-

Hook / can man-

Outside vent man-

Roof man-

What do Fire Investigators Carry?.

Please help me out I would very much thank you for this please help

Forum Member

This is the kind of stuff that you need to learn on your own. Help denied.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by heat202 View Post

- What does 50:1 fuel ratio mean????.
    this is the ratio of gas to oil mixture.

-What type of fuel does saw's generators and fans take?.

Easy answer. type of fuel = Gas well, correction, we have a diesel generator on one truck, and hydraulic on another, and a gas on the other engine.
    Saws usually take mixed, generators, take strait, and fans....its a toss up ours take strait

Utility rope is reusable, life line is used once, then it becomes utility rope. there is another issue of type, but I don't remember, look it up

-What does Flying stand pipe mean?
    For my dept, it is the hook up on our Ariel

-

Can any one define.

Driver- The driver of the truck.

OIC- Officer in Charge

Hook / can man- This is different terminology that I've been taught, 7 years ago

Outside vent man- The guy on the outside of the structure, doing ventilation operations

Roof man- the guy on the roof

What do Fire Investigators Carry? My dept, coffee, donuts, and a can of chew. I don't know what they are looking for.. a camera maybe?

Forum Member

Sounds like a homework assignment. You should just look it up......

Forum Member

Smile

Utility rope is reusable, life line is used once, then it becomes utility rope. there is another issue of type, but I don't remember, look it up

Rescue rope must be dynamic, meaning it will stretch somewhat under a load and absorb shock. Utility rope is static, meaning it will not stretch under a load. Also the composition of the rope differs. And yes, used rescue rope can be used as utility rope.

What do Fire Investigators Carry? My dept, coffee, donuts, and a can of chew. I don't know what they are looking for.. a camera maybe?

Watch Backdraft.

Forum Member

I learned a lot by keeping my mouth shut and my eyes/ears open. I still learn that way although we have such a high turnover rate for vollies that I have to speak more now.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Heat202, a little work on your part and you could easily find these answer these questions yourself. Looks like MonkeyBiz did your homework for you, which you might want to take advantage of, because the rest of us wouldn't.

Your rookie time is a chance to learn, and taking the easy way out only shortchanges yourself.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Hey Box, you pretty much summed it up.

By the way, the Fire Investigator also carries a big stick... it is useful to remind rookies to pay attention.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

I may have told him the time of day or what happens to rookies who go and get others to do their homework!!

I think a oral test would get him hung!

A big stick isn't what I had in mind, but show him Out the door!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Wow if anyone on my small dept tryed to pull answers out like this that would be a never ending workout every drill.

Ive been on for a number of years and we train and teach and help with problems and even studding if needed but if a rook took it outside to find help................................ what are they going to do when the roof begins to calapse and there is only time to react, theres no time to phone a friend then.

HEAT, hit the books, dont attempt to do something your only guessing on, your fellow firefighters lives mean more then a guess.

Forum Member

So why is asking people on the internet such a big problem for you. I am glad the guys on my department were not so hostile when I started. Where, Do you believe this info should come from?

Forum Member

From your crew the guys that are putting there lives on the line with the trusted heart that they believe the one they are entering the fire with knows there stuff. Trust in a crew is like oil in the truck, without it it goes nowhere.

Heat, talk to your crew, you might be surprised how much they will be willing to help.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by HAFD112 View Post
    Where, Do you believe this info should come from?
    Ask the guys in the station. Ask guys from neighboring departments. Check the ISFTA guide. Read reference material in the station. And when all else fails: GOOGLE!
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Ask the guys in the station. Ask guys from neighboring departments. Check the ISFTA guide. Read reference material in the station. And when all else fails: GOOGLE!
    If the guys at his station are as unfriendly as some on this forums he'll get more flack than answers.

Forum Member

If the guys at his station are as unfriendly as some on this forums he'll get more flack than answers.
    The point is that he shouldnt be asking ANYONE for the answers. He SHOULD be making an attempt to find the answers on his own. Now, perhaps if he has asked "Where might I find these answers" or "What text would I find this information in?" I might have been more inclined to help him. There's not much in your profile.....I bet you are another young kid who thinks the world owes you everything and/or thinks its ok to take the easy way out of everything.

When I was a Junior if I had flat out asked the questions, I would probably have received about 20 more (and harder) questions to provide written answers for.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 11-05-2010 at 08:08 AM.

Forum Member

Default Answers

FWDbuff and myself are what you call "Old School." When we were rookies there wasn't the Internet , google or Facebook Friends. We had to look up our answers in "Books" or ask fellow rookies where to go for the answers. Today's rookies have the world at their fingers and they post their questions on the site for others to answer. I'm sorry that Monkeybiz did your homework and if I were you I'd do my own work. I'm also with CaptOldTimer and I'd show you the door.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    The point is that he shouldnt be asking ANYONE for the answers. He SHOULD be making an attempt to find the answers on his own. Now, perhaps if he has asked "Where might I find these answers" or "What text would I find this information in?" I might have been more inclined to help him. There's not much in your profile.....I bet you are another young kid who thinks the world owes you everything and/or thinks its ok to take the easy way out of everything.

When I was a Junior if I had flat out asked the questions, I would probably have received about 20 more (and harder) questions to provide written answers for.

I totally agree with this and what others have said to this guy.

Why should we older guys do this rookies home work?

What is he going to get from it, a passing grade maybe? He will not have the sense of looking and digging for the answers. He will probably go through his fd career not looking or researching the answers and will always want it given to him the easy way.

I don't know from what department he is with, but I can tell you he wouldn't make it in a large career one.

The recruit classes I have done and had control of, he would have a hard time making it.

We never give good grades. If you get them, You have EARNED it yourself!

It's been a long time for me, but I can still give you the handlines and master stream formulas I learned many years ago.

Once you master something it stays with you forever.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post And..........

There are those that think that I am as old and Grumpy as my photo would suggest. Wrong. Grumpier......... And this is one of those things that cause it. I am, or have been, in no particular order, a Rookie Volunteer, a Rookie Career Firefighter, a Rookie Wildland Firefighter, a Rookie ARFF Firefighter, a Line Officer, a Chief, a Fire Inspector, and a whole lot more that I won't burn electrons over......... In each Position, I had Questions that I had to answer, and I had to find the answers on my own. It's not "Cool", it's not Tradition, it's Common Sense. If you want the answer to a Question, you have to do the Legwork yourself.......... If someone honestly has exhausted all the resources at their disposal, I'll help. But use those Resources BEFORE Asking.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    a Rookie ARFF Firefighter
    Here we see a rookie Harve Woods (right) on a hard-stand during the Wright Brothers expermentation on December 17, 1903.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Well................

Quote Originally Posted by heat202 View Post

A few questions of my own.........

- What does 50:1 fuel ratio mean????. What's a Fuel Ratio?

-What type of fuel does saw's generators and fans take?. Are they Gas or Electric??

- What's the difference between Utility rope and life line???. Difference??

-What does Flying stand pipe mean?.Is that an Airplane Water Supply Thing??

-

Can any one define.

Driver-

OIC-

Hook / can man-

Outside vent man-

Roof man-

What do Fire Investigators Carry?.

.................................................. .................................................. ....................
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Let's talk fire trucks!

I would readily help someone to came to me for help in the station, versus someone who was given an assignment to research these answers, and instead asks for forum members to answer the questions for him. He even admits it...

Quote Originally Posted by heat202
    Rookie hand book help!!! to answer some questions please HELP!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Forum Member

Part of pasing the test is proving that you can find the answers yourself
    My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

Rescue rope must be dynamic, meaning it will stretch somewhat under a load and absorb shock. Utility rope is static, meaning it will not stretch under a load. Also the composition of the rope differs. And yes, used rescue rope can be used as utility rope.

Watch Backdraft.
    Epic Fail sir. Don't know if you are leading this guy astray just to mess with him, or if you honestly believe this.

Most life safety rope, or rope used in a rescue operation will be static kern-mantle. Dynamic rope is used primarily by the rock climbing community. Due to it's elastic nature it has been deemed by most spec ops to be difficult to work with in rescue situations.

You don't want to fall or absorb a shock with rescuing someone, littering a patient, or picking someone off. Imagine creating a high-line with that much sag in the line, wouldn't be practical and you'd probably get stuck in the middle.

The argument can be made for Dynamic during very specific rescue situations, but I believe you will find that most places will be able to use static in those very situations that would justify having a dynamic bag.

I can appreciate if you are messing with the OP, as he should look this information up rather than try to get the info off of a forum (basic information at that)

MembersZone Subscriber

heat202: Fuel Ratio refers to the ratio of fuel (gasoline) to lubricant (petroleum or synthetic oils) that are used to power two cycle engines that are not "Oil Injected". At a ratio of 50 : 1 the usual blend is 2.5 oz of lubricant to 1 gallon of fuel. Lubricants used are specially formulated NOT to cause "carbon bridging" of the gap in the spark plug thus shorting out the plug and shutting down the engine. The higher ratios (50:1) suggest synthetic lubricant (like Optimol) while the lower ratios (32:1, 25:1) suggest petroleum based oils. The air and fuel mixture leaving the carburator passes through a "flutter valve" that closes due to crankcase pressure when the piston is in the power stroke. Partway through the powerstroke, the exhaust valve is opened and exhaust gasses are vented from the cylinder. This allows the slightly compressed fuel/air mixture in the crankcase to be forced into the cylinder, flushing the burned gasses out the exhaust valve. Slightly after the bottom of the power/exhaust stroke, both intake and exhaust valves are closed causing the fresh fuel/air mixture to be compressed and readied for ignition at the top of the stroke. It also creates a slightly negative pressure in the crankcase drawing in a fresh fuel and air supply. The heated surfaces in the crankcase, vaporize the gasoline portion of the mixture leaving behind the lubricant on bearing and piston sleeve surfaces thus providing lubrication to critical engine parts. This is probably more than you wanted to know, but it points out theneed to follow manufacturers recommendations concerning the type and amount of lubricant needed in the "Fuel Ratio".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Here we see a rookie Harve Woods (right) on a hard-stand during the Wright Brothers expermentation on December 17, 1903.
    You literally made me spit out my soda on my desk. Thanks.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information