Forum Member

Default Firefighting and Dogs

Good Morning All,

I was wondering about the process of owning a dog and being hired as a firefighter. I am about to graduate from a fire academy and was planning on going to the pound and picking out a companion. However, the more I think about it, as a young, single aspiring firefighter, looking to work anywhere, any shift, any time, how would that impact having a pet? Does anyone have experience with this? Working up to 3 days at a time especially as a Probie? I'm planning on applying to every CalFire headquarter I can, and (fingers crossed) getting hired could bring a possibility of leaving for weeks at a time even. So if anyone has a "I made it work" story or "no way" story, I'd love to hear it. Thank you for your input.

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by skschilling View Post
    Good Morning All,

I was wondering about the process of owning a dog and being hired as a firefighter. I am about to graduate from a fire academy and was planning on going to the pound and picking out a companion. However, the more I think about it, as a young, single aspiring firefighter, looking to work anywhere, any shift, any time, how would that impact having a pet? Does anyone have experience with this? Working up to 3 days at a time especially as a Probie? I'm planning on applying to every CalFire headquarter I can, and (fingers crossed) getting hired could bring a possibility of leaving for weeks at a time even. So if anyone has a "I made it work" story or "no way" story, I'd love to hear it. Thank you for your input.
    You going to get a dog, eh? I like female ladies better!

Why not get a girl or boy friend whatever your like?

Forum Member

Simples--lock dog in confined space--leave dishes of food-marked Monday -Tues- Weds! Go to work--explain to neighbours that the howling will stop when you come home again.

You are a plank--dogs need human contact(but in your case?)

Do not get dog!
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Back In Black

Consider an ant farm.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

How about Sea Monkeys?
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, I was going to suggest fish or a cat. They could really care less if you're around.

Do not get a dog.

Forum Member

I like the human female better than any!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I went with both the dog and the human female and the biggest problem I see is the human famale complains about taking care of the dog! So if you keep the dog out of the mix you should be okay. They really do need the contact with thier masters, or maybe any human!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I like the human female better than any!!
    Dogs are easier to train.

Forum Member

And in a lot of cases --better looking.
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by JJR512 View Post
    Dogs are easier to train.
    Depends on the woman too. Guess you aren't married, eh?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    Depends on the woman too. Guess you aren't married, eh?
    I'm married and have children. I have no idea how you could have possibly come up with that conclusion, it doesn't logically follow.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

I'm married and have children. I have no idea how you could have possibly come up with that conclusion, it doesn't logically follow.
    I know who wears the pants in your house and it isn't mr emt.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    I know who wears the pants in your house and it isn't mr emt.
    You're right, it isn't Mr. EMT, because there are no EMTs in my house. As for your line of reasoning...well I can't really comment on it, because it doesn't seem like you've actually done any reasoning at all. You took a comment that was made entirely in jest, faultily jumped to an erroneous conclusion, and are now trying to cover it by being insulting, I guess. Good for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

You're right, it isn't Mr. EMT, because there are no EMTs in my house. As for your line of reasoning...well I can't really comment on it, because it doesn't seem like you've actually done any reasoning at all. You took a comment that was made entirely in jest, faultily jumped to an erroneous conclusion, and are now trying to cover it by being insulting, I guess. Good for you.
    Wow, the irony is so thick you could choke on it...
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by skschilling View Post
    Good Morning All,

I actually just let my yellow lab of 2 1/2 years go live with a family friend. When ever I would leave or come home from the fire house he would pout and cry all the time. I thought he would stop after he got use to my schedule but nope. I contacted a close family friend and pitched him the idea. After 2 days he called me and let me know he was doing great and has plenty of room to run and play out in the coutry. I miss him very much but I know hes alot better with him. Dogs need to be close to there owners and I know mine really missed me when I was gone.

If you live alone, I would not suggest getting something that requires alot of attention. Its just one less thing you have to worry about and gives you more time to concentrate of your new job search.

Hope this helps,

Adam
    *Always leave the job a little better for the next guy*

Thread Information