Forum Member

Default DFW airport FD (Tx)

Just checking to see if anybody else here is trying to get on at DFW. Or if anybody has experience with this department.

Thanks

Forum Member

Check out their retirement system Hear it is a little strange

Other then that I think it is a highly recognized airport department

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mxrider34 View Post
    Just checking to see if anybody else here is trying to get on at DFW. Or if anybody has experience with this department.

Thanks
    Great department to work for!!! I already had obtained my FF/EMT-B/HAZMAT-TECH certs. through Tarrant County College when they hired me, so the only other cert. I was needing was Basic Aircraft Rescue Firefighter. They sent me through their own B.A.R.F.F. Academy at DFW Airport's Fire Training Center after only the second week of being on the job. DFW Airport will hire someone without any certs./experience and send them to FF/B.A.R.F.F./ EMT-B schools, provided they meet (in this order):

The initial hiring requirements.
    Have at least 30 hours or more of college credit.
    Pass both a written and physical ability test.
    Pass a polygraph test.
    Complete and pass a background investigation.
    Successfully pass the chief's interview.
    Pass both a physic evaluation and drug test.

A person who decides to apply with DFW Aiport FR better have patience! In my experience with fire department hiring processes, DFW Airport FR's hiring process takes longer than some of the other metroplex departments, but it's well worth the wait!!!

http://www.dfwairport.com/dps/fire_services.php
    Last edited by pewter98; 12-28-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: To add more information.
    IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT, GO BE A COP!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Check out their retirement system Hear it is a little strange

Other then that I think it is a highly recognized airport department
    Are you even hired with a fire department?

Forum Member

No but i stayed at a holiday inn last night

Forum Member

Can you explain the point system or have they changed the retirement

Forum Member

was disappointed to hear about the 30 hours of college.... i would like to be applying there.

Forum Member

No but i stayed at a holiday inn last night
    Figures...another lurker!

Quote Originally Posted by sredish View Post
    was disappointed to hear about the 30 hours of college.... i would like to be applying there.
    - College requirement may be substituted by either of the following:
    a) Two (2) years of military service in the United States Army, Air Force, Navy, or Marines.
    b) Two (2) years of paid experience as a Fire Fighter.

Forum Member

Here is a link to the DFW Airport DPS employment page:

http://www.dfwairport.com/careers/dps.php

Forum Member

Can you explain the point system or have they changed the retirement

Forum Member

For those who are truly interested in applying with DFW Airport Fire Rescue and not just interested in increasing their copy/paste computer skills at every thread on this forum, here is a very basic explanation of the department's "Rule of 80" retirement:

Number of years worked + Person's Age = Needs to equal 80

Example: 25 years worked + 55 years old = 80

Though I have been told that they are planning to or already have done away with this "Rule of 80" and gone to a straight 25 years worked = full retirement benefits. I'm not 100% sure on it. If you really want to know, contact the DFW Airport Human Resources department to find out what exactly the retirement system is for Fire Rescue:

http://www.dfwairport.com/contact/index.php

Forum Member

Default DFW Airport Fire Rescue

Those applicants who are hired by DFW Airport Fire Rescue and are not already FF, EMT-B, and ARFF certified will be send to the following training:

Emergency Care Attendant Course (ECA): Taught in house by our EMS Division
    Basic Fire Academy: Tarrant County College's Fire Service Training Center
    Basic Aircraft Rescue Firefighting (B.A.R.F.F.) Academy: DFW Airport's F.T.C.
    Emergency Medical Technician (EMT-Basic) School: UT Southwestern

Your work week while in training is Mon.-Fri., usually 7 a.m.-5 p.m., for the first 6-7 months of employment. There may be breaks in between the different parts of training for weeks at a time. You would then report to the Career Development Division of DFW Airport Fire Rescue to work on your probie orientation. The probie orientation takes a full 4-6 months to complete, this is in addition to your 6-7 months while in the required training courses. During this time, you may be still left on a Mon.-Fri 80 hr work week or you might be put on 24 hrs. on / 48 hrs. off schedule for a short time until they send you to your next phase of training.
    Last edited by pewter98; 11-15-2010 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Add Info.

MembersZone Subscriber

What is the call volume like, staffing, etc. I looked on the internet, but I couldn't find anything regarding this. Does the dept. respond off property? Thanks for any input.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by senatobiafire View Post
    What is the call volume like, staffing, etc. I looked on the internet, but I couldn't find anything regarding this. Does the dept. respond off property? Thanks for any input.
    Our call volume is around 3,800 runs per year. We have 5 stations, 4 for airfield operations and 1 for structural fires/M.I.C.U. calls. Station 6 is scheduled to open in the spring of 2011 and is located east of hwy 121/northwest of hwy 114 in DFW Airport's warehouse district. All 5 of the fire stations that are located on the main part of the airport have the ability to respond to calls both on and off airport property. DFW Airport Fire Rescue has mutual aid agreements with Irving, Coppell, Colleyville, Grapevine, Southlake, Hurst, Euless, Bedford, and several other departments.

Forum Member

Staffing

The 4 fire stations for airfield operations each have a structural apparatus with a 4 person crew, 1-3 ARFF apparatus that each have 1 operator. When an aircraft alert call occurs and depending on what side of the airport it occurs on (either eastside or westside), personnel from the alert side's structual apparatus will jump onto their pre-assigned ARFF apparatus' to assist the operator on the call. The remaining staffed structural apparatus that are not on the side of the airport where the aircraft alert is occuring will respond to the call to conduct any structural fire operations that are needed.

I don't have any exact number of personnel, but I want to say there are around 160-180 firefighters. Thats not counting the chiefs, officers, fire prevention, fire investigation, career development, and other areas of the department.

Forum Member

I applied back in January , and have a recommendation from a friend who is currently employed there. I felt pretty confident until an acquaintance said they took there written test there 3 weeks ago. Now I'm pretty discouraged. Do u know if they do massive exams like the other departments or if they do them individually? That's truly where I want to work, I don't care if it takes a year I can be patient I'm just worried since my friend said he tested if maybe my application was thrown out or I am not what they were looking for. What do you think.

Forum Member

I have been an airline pilot for a major carrier the past ten years. I also am trying to get on with DFW fire since I have spent my entire career at airports and dealing with ARFF from a pilots stand point. Good luck to you, they seem to be a great dept to work for. I also have a rec from the airport's director of ops but have not heard anything, of course my app has only been in for 2 days.
    Last edited by Airlinepilot2FF; 04-05-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wanabfire View Post
    I applied back in January , and have a recommendation from a friend who is currently employed there. I felt pretty confident until an acquaintance said they took there written test there 3 weeks ago. Now I'm pretty discouraged. Do u know if they do massive exams like the other departments or if they do them individually? That's truly where I want to work, I don't care if it takes a year I can be patient I'm just worried since my friend said he tested if maybe my application was thrown out or I am not what they were looking for. What do you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlinepilot2FF View Post
    I have been an airline pilot for a major carrier the past ten years. I also am trying to get on with DFW fire since I have spent my entire career at airports and dealing with ARFF from a pilots stand point. Good luck to you, they seem to be a great dept to work for. I also have a rec from the airport's director of ops but have not heard anything, of course my app has only been in for 2 days.
    It seems like DFW Airport FR hold several test a year for new fire recruits, it just depends on how many positions need to be filled. In order to be selected to take the test, your initial online application must first be reviewed. Once it has been reviewed and you meet the requirements, you will be contacted by DFW Airport's HR department and they will schedule your test. Both the written exam and P.A.T. are usually held on the same day. The best advice I can give you is that if you have not heard back about your application after several weeks/months, I would call DFW Airport's HR department and ask them about the status of your application. Applications can be misplaced during the process, as was the case with mine. But you have to remember that the entire hiring process can take up to a year before your scheduled for your interview.

Good luck to anyone applying!!

Forum Member

Just applied last night. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Forum Member

Any idea what one could expect for a salary range the first few years

Forum Member

https://extapps.dfwairport.com/careers/dps.php

GENERAL SUMMARY******************************************* Salary: $46,113

Forum Member

https://extapps.dfwairport.com/careers/dps.php

GENERAL SUMMARY******************************************* Salary: $46,113
    Thanks! Sorry I saw that right after I posted. Do you know if DFW pays to train FF to be medics? Or is ems handle by a third party at the airport

Forum Member

Thanks! Sorry I saw that right after I posted. Do you know if DFW pays to train FF to be medics? Or is ems handle by a third party at the airport
    http://dfwairport.com/dps/divisions/fire.php?t=2

Forum Member

The EMS Division falls under the Fire Rescue Division, but they are on their own in many ways. The EMS Dvision is based out of fire station 5, in the central portion of the airport. All the boxes respond from station 5 and are on the same 24 on / 48 off schedule as the rest of Fire Rescue. There is talk about putting another box at the new fire station 6 when it opens this summer, but nothing is certain. DFW Airport Fire Rescue does not run ALS engines, quints, or trucks, but they do respond to EMS calls along with an ALS box because they can usually beat the box to the call from their respected fire stations. Medics in the EMS Dvision do not rotate onto an engine, quint, truck, or ARFF Striker 4500 vehicles. They are only on a box.

DFW Fire Rescue will send a new hire to medic school, but only after they have gone through or already gone through EMT-Basic school, Basic Fire Academy, and Basic Aircraft Rescue Firefighting (ARFF) Academy. The EMS division still trains with the rest of Fire Rescue Division during live fire/ARFF drills, hangs out with us in all the stations from time to time, and are a great group of people! They are some of the best Medics out there!
    Last edited by pewter98; 05-06-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks for the detailed info that explains it much better then the short caveat listed in the above link

Thread Information