MembersZone Subscriber

Default Looking For a volunteer department in near chicago

So I am almost done with my associates in fire science and would like to get onto a volunteer fire department, to get some experience and to to help out a community, the problem is i looked online for a volunteer department near Chicago and can't find any... maybe someone on this forum knows of some and can help me out...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by plpride69 View Post
    So I am almost done with my associates in fire science and would like to get onto a volunteer fire department, to get some experience and to to help out a community, the problem is i looked online for a volunteer department near Chicago and can't find any... maybe someone on this forum knows of some and can help me out...
    You may have to get an map of that area and look to see the smaller towns.

Chicago is a career department and most of the cities around her.

At one time Firehouse had a section on the main page, that had a map of the USA and you could click on that and see the fire departments. It may be still there. I used it a long time ago.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I sorta tried doing that and had a hard time. Maybe there's someone on the forums who is a volunteer around chicago and could help me out

Forum Member

Check this out.

http://www.firefightersonline.com/engine/v/illinois.asp

you will have to do some looking.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

You won't find one. Simple as that. I don't know where you come from, but the Chicagoland area isn't like some areas of the country where you can go the station, and, as long as youre 18+ with a pulse, you're handed a helmet. The closest you'll find is a job as a Paid On Call firefighter, and for most departments it's actually fairly competitive to get. Not like a career job, obviously, but there are strict requirements and selection process. And there is not a single one I know of that will let you call yourself a firefighter until you've completed an academy and have your FF2 cert. In fact, the vast majority won't even consider you a member, give you a pager, ANYTHING until you've gone through and passed the academy.

So, if you're willing to move into a specific town JUST to be POC on a FD, then go for it.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you move to NW Indiana there are several vol. depts within 20 min. of Chicago. Some are combination and some are all vol. I'm a member of Merrillville/ Ross Township Fire Service, the largest vol. Dept. In the state. If you need more info I'll try to help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Indiana vol.

but in order to be a volunteer at those dept you need to live in indiana correct?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    You won't find one. Simple as that. I don't know where you come from, but the Chicagoland area isn't like some areas of the country where you can go the station, and, as long as youre 18+ with a pulse, you're handed a helmet. The closest you'll find is a job as a Paid On Call firefighter, and for most departments it's actually fairly competitive to get. Not like a career job, obviously, but there are strict requirements and selection process. And there is not a single one I know of that will let you call yourself a firefighter until you've completed an academy and have your FF2 cert. In fact, the vast majority won't even consider you a member, give you a pager, ANYTHING until you've gone through and passed the academy.

So, if you're willing to move into a specific town JUST to be POC on a FD, then go for it.
    In addition to that, some require you to already have your FF cert to get hired, and some will even require or strongly prefer you to have your medic. I'm in the same boat in that I'm trying to get on somewhere at a part-timer/POC particularly to get sponsored to go through an academy to get my fire cert. A lot of them will do that but with the economy being what it is some aren't taking on anybody new at all or if they do decide to hire and sponsor you you still have to pay for the academy itself. It's still a great way to get your foot in the door, though, so I'm still pursuing it. That would be your best bet because like was stated in this post, other than the town of Glen Ellyn I don't know of any places in the Chicago area that are volunteer at all.

MembersZone Subscriber

so how do i get sponsered by a fire dept...

Thread Information