Thread: Mototrbo

Forum Member

Default Mototrbo

Does anyone use the MOTOTRBO system? My department is considering this system.
    Currently my FD is on a UHF county wide radio system maintained by the state forest commission. We have three repeaters county wide, of the 10 or so FD's in the area my department is dispatched by our PD, another FD is dispatched by their PD on the west side of the county and all others are dispatched by the county SO. The problem is the dept on the west side of the county runs a lot of calls as we do, their radio usage is not professional and will not use a talk around for fire ground communications so they tie up the channel for extended periods so we have a tough time communicating.
    Our PD is on a VHF system, and the PD have no UHF radios in their cars so communicating with PD has to be done through a dispatcher which can be difficult on some calls.
    We have talked with a radio shop about the MOTOTRBO and they told us we can use the PD's VHF freq. pair to split the channel into two digitally. All of the departments we mutual aid with are VHF analog. We would a system to do the following:

1.Use our VHF frequency pair to digitally split into two talk groups.
    2.Have a system that supports two tone paging. Using the UHF system is ok too.
    3.Radios that will work with conventional VHF systems.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by notasulga202 View Post
    Currently my FD is on a UHF county wide radio system maintained by the state forest commission. We have three repeaters county wide, of the 10 or so FD's in the area my department is dispatched by our PD, another FD is dispatched by their PD on the west side of the county and all others are dispatched by the county SO. The problem is the dept on the west side of the county runs a lot of calls as we do, their radio usage is not professional and will not use a talk around for fire ground communications so they tie up the channel for extended periods so we have a tough time communicating.
    Our PD is on a VHF system, and the PD have no UHF radios in their cars so communicating with PD has to be done through a dispatcher which can be difficult on some calls.
    We have talked with a radio shop about the MOTOTRBO and they told us we can use the PD's VHF freq. pair to split the channel into two digitally. All of the departments we mutual aid with are VHF analog. We would a system to do the following:

Are the police interested in doing this?

I love the trbo radios, they are cool and work well. However, they are not rugged.

Your talking about laying out a lot of money as you can only use TRBO radios to operate on a TRBO system.

What is your budget?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Talking

The trbo radios will only operate on their proprietary system and are NOT Public safety grade radios. They are a business grade radio. They will NOT be interoperable with anyone else that is not using a trbo system. So if you want to be isolated from the rest of the county they are a fine choice.

Don't just talk to a radio shop trying to sell you high $$$ equipment, Of course he's going to recommend you buy his $$$$$ product. His kids are getting close to college age.

Do your homework and talk to a radio system engineer that is not a salesman trying to sell a proprietary system.

There are many options depending on your location and terrain, along with available freqs.
    Last edited by islandfire03; 11-08-2010 at 11:41 PM.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    The trbo radios will only operate on their proprietary system and are NOT Public safety grade radios. They are a business grade radio. They will NOT be interoperable with anyone else that is not using a trbo system. So if you want to be isolated from the rest of the county they are a fine choice.
    Not true. They will work in analog as well. They will also work with any analog non-trunked repeater.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Is yor two-tone paging currently being done on the UHF repeater system? If not, how is it currently being done?

You mention using "our VHF frequency pair". Are you referring to a VHF repeater that the police department currently uses? Or is this another frequency pair which is currently used (or at least license) to your fire department?

What kind of coverage area do you need? Are you currently able to get enough coverage area by using just one repeater or do you typically have to use two or even all three repeaters to get enough coverage for your department?

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

MembersZone Subscriber

Notasulga202 when you are up Dadeville way stop by the Fire Department and I will show you our P-25 system. Had it in place for right at a year now. I can show you what it will do and what it want. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Donít have a dog in the hunt so I will give you correct answers something sales person want tell you. Also if you plan to use the fedís money you canít buy MotoTRBO.
    dfd701@bellsouth.net

Thread Information