Forum Member

Default Personal Vehicle Insurance...

Just finished re-certing my EVOC this weekend and the instructor pointed out that the EVOC course in which we were enrolled was recognized as a Driver Improvement Course and a certificate of completion could be taken to our personal insurance company for rate reductions. However, he recommended we didn't take it to our insurance companies because on finding out that you are a volunteer firefighter the insurance company will hike your rates 2-3 times.

Any thoughts on this? Is it true?

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TenEight View Post
    Just finished re-certing my EVOC this weekend and the instructor pointed out that the EVOC course in which we were enrolled was recognized as a Driver Improvement Course and a certificate of completion could be taken to our personal insurance company for rate reductions. However, he recommended we didn't take it to our insurance companies because on finding out that you are a volunteer firefighter the insurance company will hike your rates 2-3 times.

I think that would depend on if you use your POV for responding to scenes. If you have a light and siren, then your insurance will go up.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink POV insurance

They will either cover you, cover you for an additional fee, or not cover you.

You REALLY need to talk to your insurance company. It will save you a world of headaches in the end. Just because you are inquiring with them, doesn't mean that you have lights and sirens and that you ARE responding in your POV.

Forum Member

Yes it's true. And when the Rock told me they were making my piece bigger, I told the VFD "Sorry, no blue lights for me!"
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

This will vary from state to state and will also depend on whether or not you use your POV as an emergency vehicle in those states that allow it.

Keep in mind that, if you do use it as an emergency vehicle and try to hide it from your insurance carrier, you're giving them grounds to invalidate your policy.

(FWIW, it's illegal to raise your insurance rate in CT just because you're a volunteer firefighter but it's also uncommon for POV's to be legitimate emergency vehicles here. Only Chiefs have that option and not all that many use it.)
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Thanks, guys. I rarely respond to the scene in my vehicle (really, the only time is if I'm on the way to work) but I do run a single red light on my way to the station for calls.

I worry about talking with the insurance company but I already have FD tags so the cat may be out of the bag.
    Last edited by TenEight; 11-09-2010 at 09:34 AM.

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig.

MembersZone Subscriber

My agent knows I'm a firefighter (he is, too, for a neighboring department). He's never even brought it up...
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink Me too

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    My agent knows I'm a firefighter (he is, too, for a neighboring department). He's never even brought it up...
    Same here.
    My agent is also a firefighter with a neighboring department and gave me the green light. For the actual topic of responding POV, this issue is discussed on another thread.

Forum Member

Our agent is on the department with me.

Forum Member

i ask my ins company about my lights in my pov they said that they was find my ins didnt go up but if im running hot then im not covered if i get in a accident i do have to run pov at time to teh seine because of reg cab trucks

Forum Member

Just keep hiding the fact you run lights. When you get in a wreck, your insurance will not cover it.
    FF/Paramedic

JEB
    Forum Member

I get a 15% discount for being a FF on my auto insurance. I think they mention it in the All-State ad on TV as well.

It might be different if you use your vehicle for emergency responce, though our officers who often respond in their POVs for duty calls also get the discount.

We are not allowed to have lights on our POVs in MN.

Forum Member

Read you rpolicy, you may be shocked at what you CANNOT do or have on your vehicle.

Anyway while responding your FD insurance should cover your vehicle, or at least ours does. We do not respond direct in POV though because that just causes congestion and confusion.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BSFD9302 View Post
    Read you rpolicy, you may be shocked at what you CANNOT do or have on your vehicle.
    I run a small organic lawn restoration business, and I have those metalic signs... well... I USED to have those matalic signs. My insurance company made me ditch them or get commercial plates and commercial insurance.

Forum Member

As a EVOC instructor, I will chime in. Showing that you have completed a Evoc class with most insurance companies will lower your rates as a individual. EVOC is considered a defensive driving course. Being a Firefighter has nothing to do with raising your rates, Lights, Sirens, using a POV as a Emergency vehicle however will.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Forum Member

I'm not sure what my insurance company would say if they knew I was a volunteer. I don't use my POV as an emergence response vehicle unless the incident is real close by to home and I do take my time getting to the scene. I'm too far to do a home response which has gone the way of the dinosaur and I don't think anybody does it anymore.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leeland View Post
    I'm not sure what my insurance company would say if they knew I was a volunteer. I don't use my POV as an emergence response vehicle unless the incident is real close by to home and I do take my time getting to the scene. I'm too far to do a home response which has gone the way of the dinosaur and I don't think anybody does it anymore.
    If your vehicle is not (legally) defined as an emergency response vehicle, it is still just a passenger vehicle you are driving to a scene.....you are still subject to all laws and regulations...and your insurance should not be affected by you being a volunteer or not.

My old insurance agent was also a fellow Vol. FF in my department - part of why I chose his firm....he was able to get me the BEST rate after I shopped around - from the other companies there was never even a question asked about me being a FF (or even EMS) responder.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Neighbor (I'm down in Franklin),

First of all to clarify for everyone else (and you in case you didn't know)

In the Commonwealth of Virginia:
    - Your POV is not, can not, will not ever be considered an Emergency Vehicle.
    - Limited amounts, colors, and locations of lights are allowed on your POV - No sirens
    - Warning Lights on your POV are considered "courtesy lights" and merely a request for the right-of-way. Others are NOT required to yield to you & you must obey ALL traffic regulations (Incl. speed limit)

That being said, in the event you are in an accident of some sort while responding to a call AND you were obeying all traffic regulations - then your insurance will cover you the same as if you were driving to get groceries.

There should be absolutely no effect on your rates for being a volunteer firefighter - if they do say they will raise your rates because of that you should at a minimum find a new carrier.

Hope that helps answer your question.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Check with the fire department's policy. Some insurance companies insure your vehicle on the way to the firehouse. (i.e. you get in a wreck on the way to the firehouse after a page, the FD insurance covers it). While other FD insurance companies only cover what isn't covered by your insurance. I know with our department that was a big selling item...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Leeland View Post
    I would venture that the dinosaur is still alive and well in other parts of the world from yours. It is very common here in the land of departments that cover 200 square miles, 4 times that on auto aid for structure fires.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I currently work at a mainstream insurance company, doing office stuff until I get my license, but when you put an application in the computer, it doesn't ask what the vehicle is used for; pleasure, farm or work, thats it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
    I currently work at a mainstream insurance company, doing office stuff until I get my license, but when you put an application in the computer, it doesn't ask what the vehicle is used for; pleasure, farm or work, thats it.
    In the standard policy of your carrier what does it say about having e-lights and sirens on your vehicle? Mine clearly states they are not allowed. I can get an insurance policy that will allow e-lights and siren but it is beyond the scope of reason in cost. Besides I wouldn't have them anyway.

Forum Member

Only if they are mounted (IE: permanent), and then you have to have a letter from said organization claiming liability, (so just stick with magnetics or windowlights.
    Benton Fire District Four
    Ladder One
    First Due!

Caddo Parish Fire District 1
    Career Firefighter/Paramedic

When things get rough, just say:
    Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

Thread Information