Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Salad bowl"

Forum Member

Default "Salad bowl"

I know I've heard the term "salad bowl" get used a few times around here in reference to helmets. I don't remember from the context, but I want to clarify the meaning of the term in my mind: Does "salad bowl" refer specifically to one type or style (modern or traditional) of helmet, or just to helmets in general?

Forum Member

Modern, plastic/fiberglass

MembersZone Subscriber Chief_Roy's Avatar

Salad bowl aka Devo hat

Typically of the rounded variety. As opposed to the traditional big helment and brim variety.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And.............

Another Term, one that was directed at Southern California's Bell Helmet in particular, was "Tactical Tupperware".......... The Traditional Style (1010s, etc.) are designed to look like Leather, but they're made of a number of different materials. The "Salad Bowl" isn't designed to look like anything, just a smooth blob. The one in my Avatar is a 1010. The photo below is a Collapse Rescue from a few months back, and shows the variety in this area, everything from Sam Houstons,and Ben Franklins to 880 Metros. The Tech Rescue Teams tend to use a Pacific Helmet like the one I'm wearing. (I'm the one closest to the Camera).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by hwoods; 11-09-2010 at 07:58 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I've used both.

IMO, the "salad bowl" is a much more practical, all around helmet, especially if the department responds to a large number of brush incidents, such as my department. The traditional style is simply too heavy and not practical for brush operations and honestly, isn't overly practical for extrication or technical rescue operations.

In addition, the price is an issue especially when the cost of a front plate is factored in. You can easily purchase 2, if not 3, salad bowls for the cost of one traditional with a front plate.

If I had my choice, we would issue the LA City style Phoenix as that looks like an excellent all-around helmet.

Now, if your department has the finances to purchase and issue multiple helmets for multiple tasks ...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    In addition, the price is an issue especially when the cost of a front plate is factored in. You can easily purchase 2, if not 3, salad bowls for the cost of one traditional with a front plate.

If I had my choice, we would issue the LA City style Phoenix as that looks like an excellent all-around helmet.

Not quite true. From Thefirestore.com:

Coway American Classic (composite traditional) w/leather front $238

Conway Legacy 5 $170

Phenix 1500 w/faceshield $181
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?Ē (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Forum Member

I've used both.

IMO, the "salad bowl" is a much more practical, all around helmet, especially if the department responds to a large number of brush incidents, such as my department. The traditional style is simply too heavy and not practical for brush operations and honestly, isn't overly practical for extrication or technical rescue operations.

Now, if your department has the finances to purchase and issue multiple helmets for multiple tasks ...
    Thanks everyone for the answers.

I have my own Cairns 1000 that I bought myself. I prefer the look of the traditional style (which is odd for me because in most other aspects of life, I prefer modernism), but didn't actually want real leather. I mainly just wanted to make sure I knew what the term meant.

My department issues "salad bowls". I don't recall the brand or model. The department also provides "rescue helmets" or "special ops helmets" (I believe it's actually the same kind of helmet, which some people refer to as "rescue" and others as "SO"). These helmets are kind of like skater helmets with vents. I forget the brand, but it starts with a 'P'...Looking quickly over at thefirestore.com, the name "Petzl" loudly rings a bell, and looking at their products, I'm pretty sure it's the Petzl ECRIN ROC model that my department is using. Frankly, it doesn't look like it provides much protection.

Default Salad Bowl Helmet

I think this is a Salad Bowl Helmet....
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Capt387 View Post
    Not quite true. From Thefirestore.com:

Coway American Classic (composite traditional) w/leather front $238

Conway Legacy 5 $170

Phenix 1500 w/faceshield $181
    That's a pretty good price.

That's a pretty good price.

FS EVERYday price. It pays to shop. T.c.

Maybe this would fit the subject...

Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 07-08-2011 at 01:53 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by JJR512 View Post
    My department issues "salad bowls". I don't recall the brand or model. The department also provides "rescue helmets" or "special ops helmets" (I believe it's actually the same kind of helmet, which some people refer to as "rescue" and others as "SO"). These helmets are kind of like skater helmets with vents. I forget the brand, but it starts with a 'P'...Looking quickly over at thefirestore.com, the name "Petzl" loudly rings a bell, and looking at their products, I'm pretty sure it's the Petzl ECRIN ROC model that my department is using. Frankly, it doesn't look like it provides much protection.
    The Petzl Ecrin Roc is a rock climbing helmet designed for low impact protection. They do make an industrial version without the vent holes as well.
    They are actually a really comfortable mid weight helmet to wear and can take quite a few good knocks before you start to worry about them. THe best thing about the ecrin roc is how easy the ratchet system is to adjust on the fly so if you have to wear a cap underneath on a cold night it takes less than a second to adjust unlike other helmets.
    I wear one of these as a climbing/canyoning/caving guide on my days off, have upgraded to a lighter Petzl "climbing" helmet with a foam liner for my recreational climbing (about half the weight but not as much head coverage especially on the side above the ear)

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is a salad bowl.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Do you prefer your salad cooked or raw?
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Yo Sean....

Salad: raw

Salad bowls: cooked

I remember that job, did they let you guys keep those lids or did you have to dig them outta the safety office trash after they "examined" them??
    Not mine, that was the B plt; We had that place a month or 2 prior, but of course I was detailed to 20s that night so naturally I didn't do anything. I just got the chance to shoot them at Safety shortly after the second job.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

The ultimate "salad bowl"...

‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking That Too..........

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    The ultimate "salad bowl"...

I guess folks in Massachusetts need Helmets that size because of the weight of the Taxes that they have to bear............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    I guess folks in Massachusetts need Helmets that size because of the weight of the Taxes that they have to bear............
    Nah... it's from all the useless crap that has zero, zilch, nada, nothing to do with the job that one has to study to get promoted!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

The UP side is you can rest THAT one on your shoulders,Hehe T.C.

Thread Information