Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb Training Who Responsibilty Is It

This topic is a spin off of another thread we have going.
    As rescuers we have a lot on our plates in the way of training. Trench, Con Space, Technical Rope, MVX, Structural Collapse Shoring, Wilderness Rescue......
    Is it our responsibility to keep up with the training requirements or is it our departments? Does training end when we leave our firehouses?
    I have always been one to constantly want to better myself...bring something more to the table. So....I constantly train outside of work. Some is with other agencies I belong to but a lot is on my own. Training breeds confidence and confidence creates success. I pass that on to my students and live by it everyday. Everybody has a different opinion on things, that's what makes these forums great. What are your thoughts on this topic? Thanks TRT24 for the thread idea.
    "Training Prepares You...For Moments That Define You

MembersZone Subscriber

I say both... It is the responsibilty of the personnel to learn and stay fresh in their skills, the C.O. to ensure that the skills are kept and time is allowed for such and the Department to fund the equipment, purchase updated equipment and give the C.O. and Crews the time to keep these skills-up. As Management it needs to be acceptable to say, "sorry Chief, that chore (enter your Department's mindless task here) needs to be given to another Crew because we're going to focus on our Rescue training." No questions, grief or disappointment..... As a C.O. that may be way offline but that's how I see it.....
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Both. Plain and simple. We as individuals need to keep our personal skills sharp weather it's at work, or on our off time or whatever. The company needs to provide venues for drills to incorporate our personal skills and promote teamwork and consistency.
    John D. Calamia, BS, NREMTP, FP-C
    Firefighter/Flight Paramedic
    Broomall, PA

Quote Originally Posted by jdcalamia View Post
    Both. Plain and simple. We as individuals need to keep our personal skills sharp weather it's at work, or on our off time or whatever. The company needs to provide venues for drills to incorporate our personal skills and promote teamwork and consistency.
    Well said!
    "Training Prepares You...For Moments That Define You

Forum Member

Definitely, it is the responsibility of all from the firefighter up to chief's office.
    The individual rescuer needs to take it upon him to spend time practicing or reviewing materials in any disciplines that he is responsible for. If that cannot be done on shift for whatever reason then as a professional (paid or volunteer) he should find the time to do so on his own. I personally try to spend a minimum of one hour per day; usually more because I have a lot of free time; reading, researching or playing with gear.

One problem I see is that not everyone on the team has the passion for tech rescue. Often times they have been transferred to the company to fill vacancies. My department has no specialty team pay, so many folks say why do that extra work when I get paid the same for not doing it.

My department allows us to set aside every Wednesday as a tech rescue training day. Theoretically we can go out of service for the day, subject to what may be happening in the county. Do we always take advantage of this? No, reality sets in a lot of times and this training day gets pushed aside due to call volume, other training needs, weather, etc. Some things we are able to take twenty minutes to a half hour and do a quick review during shift meetings. Even though this may only be one small piece of the puzzle, I found that it does help with skill retentions. Usually our Company officers are busy with a lot of admin duties, when this is the case; other members of the team need to step up take the lead with training issues. Usually during the week prior to our Wednesday shift, I ask the Lt. or Capt. if we have anything planned for training, if not, I'm usually told to come up with an idea and run with it. If you find an area that some members are weak in, pull out the equipment and have impromptu training. Remember, it may be your butt they have to save.

I would really like it if money was never an issue. But with budgets the way they are lately, it is all but impossible to be able to get any outside classes, even more so if travel is involved. I mentioned in another thread that I have been trying to get some tower rescue classes for several years, but this is not a priority for the powers that be.

I feel that the individual and company officers need to take advantage of every opportunity they have to not only keep current, but also to advance their skills. Administration needs to realize that even though tech rescue calls do not come that often, when a situation arises somebody will dial 911. When they do they expect us to solve the problem. Without providing us with the proper tools (including knowledge) they are setting us up for failure.

Thanks Mike. TRT24 I couldn't agree more. In today's fire service with budget issues at the forefront of every bosses mind, training seems to be almost and after thought. Alot of bosses come from the "old school" and don't necessarily have a grasp on the expanding role of the fire service. It's not just about fires anymore. Slapping technical rescue on the side of a truck or trailer and filling it with a million dollars worth of equipment does the community no good if you aren't dragging something out of it each shift and playing with it in some capacity. Train early and often. Give the taxpayers what they pay for.
    John D. Calamia, BS, NREMTP, FP-C
    Firefighter/Flight Paramedic
    Broomall, PA

Thread Information