Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Union Dues

Forum Member

Default Union Dues

I'm trying to get information on how much other departments pay for monthly union dues. I've searched the internet and have come up with nothing. If anyone knows where to get that information or maybe you can just list how much you pay for dues. I work for Cal Fire and we currently pay $85.36 monthly and it may go up this year, so I'm trying to figure out if this above or below the state and national average. After I get all the data, I will write an article and submit it because I think this is information that people want, similar to Firehouse Mag always listing how many calls and pay for various departments.

Thanks in advance for your help, if you could just list department, city and city, and how much your monthly union dues are would be a great help for me to start to compile data.

MembersZone Subscriber Chief_Roy's Avatar

As a former IAFF local president, I can tell you that union dues are based on a percentage of your base firefighter salary. At least they were when I was in the union. What that means is that you're not going to find a simple answer about whether your dues are reasonable or not because it all depends on where you're located. My dues as a union member were around $80 per month. In my current department, where the entry level salary is much lower, the union dues are about $25 per month.

Forum Member

One of the departments I worked for charged 1% of starting salary. So if starting salary was $35,000. The anual union dues were $350 a year.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by maxcarr View Post
    I'm trying to get information on how much other departments pay for monthly union dues. I've searched the internet and have come up with nothing. If anyone knows where to get that information or maybe you can just list how much you pay for dues. I work for Cal Fire and we currently pay $85.36 monthly and it may go up this year, so I'm trying to figure out if this above or below the state and national average. After I get all the data, I will write an article and submit it because I think this is information that people want, similar to Firehouse Mag always listing how many calls and pay for various departments.

Thanks in advance for your help, if you could just list department, city and city, and how much your monthly union dues are would be a great help for me to start to compile data.
    Your dues are certainly not astronomical, but first I think it would serve you better to find out about what you are really asking, and why. Each local has its own autonomy and votes in its own dues, to cover it's own business and cover the per capita expense owed to the IAFF and CPF. If you read your bylaws you will find out what your true dues really are. You should have language in their describing the % you pay (it is normally based on top step firefighter salary x's % the membership votes in) So, your dues may actually be lower than you suspect, the difference is the membership may have voted in other assessments, such as PAC, Legal Defense, or Benefit enhancements. I guess the 2nd question is why are you interested in collecting this data. Salaries in each agency vary, and enhancements as well. Unless you understand the complexity of each local and why their dues structure is high or low, you would better be served to perhaps show the % they pay of top step ff. As for our local, we pay $200 a month, so $85 is a deal in our eyes, but to another local $200 is outrageous. Good luck.

Default Dues

We were the same as Chief Roy. 1% of firefighter wages. So when we received a raise..so did the Union . It was payroll deduction and automatically taken out of you pay check.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Same here... 1% of firefighter top step.
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 11-11-2010 at 03:00 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

1% of top firefighter pay here, not starting pay. This is based on base salary numbers.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber SFDredhat126's Avatar

Ours is 1.25% of base FF pay (not probie pay). Ours are currently $52/mo.

2% of top step engineer plus $20 a month for PAC. $165/mo total. We were running in the red for long time using 1% of top step Firefighter. Now we have built a pretty good war chest.
    Fire and EMS Shift Calendars and Day Planners
    www.bwprintworks.com

Default Dues

You must have one hell of a war chest.....why the high dues????
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    You must have one hell of a war chest.....why the high dues????
    It's actually not where we want yet. Our Association has set a benchmark of 250k that they want to reach in the next few years. It doesn't seem like much except we are only 36 members.

In a nutshell the war chest is based on history and power. We have had some costly legal battles in the past. Learning from that, we have built a war chest to have funds available as necessary. It's kind of funny because we probably have less things to fight because they know we have the money to back our talk (aka the power).

The high dues also affords us some better perks and protections around the stations. We have a condiment program, station computers and internet, newspapers, etc.
    Fire and EMS Shift Calendars and Day Planners
    www.bwprintworks.com

Forum Member

Our local pays 1.5% of a top step firefighter and then our union kicks up $250/year/member to the state FMBA. We used to kick up 150/member but it was raised this year to cover new expenses such as newspaper advertisements and tv ads.

Thread Information