Forum Member

Default Testing Statewide

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get hired at pretty much any dept nationwide. I am quite new in this whole process. I would love for you guys to share your feedback/guidance on these three questions:

1. What is the best way to see what depts are hiring nationwide? I've come across a bunch of sites that list jobs for a fee but I'm thinking there has to be a database where depts announce job postings somewhere. Any ideas? A firefighter I spoke to said Iaff.org posted jobs but I didn't see any.

2. Are there any universal statewide requirements besides the CPAT needed to apply to depts across the country?

2. What specifically a 24 year old college graduate, non-veteran can do to become an attractive applicant. I'm in great shape and personable. What are the specific "difference makers" fire chiefs look at when selecting a team member?

Many, many thanks in advance for your insights. These 3 questions are extremely important in giving me guidance on how to put my best foot forward.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by okeefer99 View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm looking to get hired at pretty much any dept nationwide. I am quite new in this whole process. I would love for you guys to share your feedback/guidance on these three questions:

1. What is the best way to see what depts are hiring nationwide? I've come across a bunch of sites that list jobs for a fee but I'm thinking there has to be a database where depts announce job postings somewhere. Any ideas? A firefighter I spoke to said Iaff.org posted jobs but I didn't see any.

2. Are there any universal statewide requirements besides the CPAT needed to apply to depts across the country?

2. What specifically a 24 year old college graduate, non-veteran can do to become an attractive applicant. I'm in great shape and personable. What are the specific "difference makers" fire chiefs look at when selecting a team member?

Many, many thanks in advance for your insights. These 3 questions are extremely important in giving me guidance on how to put my best foot forward.

Start by putting in applications in where you may like to live.

Each department, city, county has their own rules and procedure for applicants.

No one place has a listing, that I am aware, of all locations seeking applicants.

The college is good, but not a requirement. It just counts as education. A lot of guys that are taking entrance exams have the high school education and maybe a few hours of college.

It how well and how high you score on a general aptitude exam or civil service exam, that gets you to the next step for the physical agility testing. This is a pass/fail test.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Let's start with the state you are in

And that would be????

Forum Member

I would think about getting EMT out of the way since it will take longer than FFI/II plus give you a bit of an edge when applying. Increasingly, EMT is a requirement in municipal departments, some requiring Paramedic.

You need to watch job postings on Monster, Simply Hired, Indeed and Carrerjet. Goggle Firefighter jobs. There is no single resource to locate job openings. But by watching these sites, you may find opportunities.

Your handle seems to suggest that you are in Oklahoma (okeefer). Since Oklahoma has one of the premier Fire Training Schools in the country, it won't hurt for you to check with Oklahoma State University concerning FFI/II. The school is IFSTA Certified which can be cross-certified with ProBoard, if you ultimately find a position that requires PB. Matter of fact, IFSTA is located at OSU-FST in Stillwater, OK.

But even having FFI/II under your belt does not guarantee a position, it just gives you a slight advantage. Expect to still go through their Dept Academy to learn the way they want it done. I would prefer to hire guys that already had some training over guys that don't. Consider joining a volunteer or combination department, just for the experience or perhaps working EMS until you can find your spot. The danger here is to keep an open mind and not lock in to methodology. I hate to break bad habits by guys that have prior experience.

As stated, each City, County, etc has their own requirements, but Civil Service Exams will be commonplace. Passing the Physical Agility (PAT) is mandatory.

You have selected perhaps the worst possible time to try to find a job as a firefighter. While it is not impossible, it is going to be tough. Many jurisdictions are laying off personnel, rather than hiring. But at some point, this will change and new recruits will be needed. I read recently that about 20 candidates apply for every firefighter job. So if you find a place that is hiring 20, expect to be in a filed of 400. So it is imperative that you stand out in your Civil Service Exam, PAT and Interviews.

Good Luck
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Get your EMT-B or I first.
    Bring enough hose.

Forum Member

What I would do personally is spend the $7/month on a paid subscription service. I used firerecruit.com personally and keep an eye out for every department testing within say 200 miles of where you currently live. You won't qualify for some or even many of the jobs around. Many will require FFI/II and probably EMT-B to start. But many of the larger departments will hire with only a high school diploma/GED. (There's also more competition for these jobs.)

I would start with getting a Basic EMT license (EMT-B) and then start looking for jobs either on an ambulance or as an ER tech at a hospital. Most departments run 90%+ medicals these days, so the experience will be good, and build your resume. Then on to Fire Academy. If no job shortly after or many departments require paramedic school, then it's off to get your EMT-P (referred to as paramedic or medic.)

You can also look into your local volunteer department. Many will pay for your Fire Academy and it will also give you some idea of what we do everyday. This job isn't for everyone. Be sure it's what you want or you'll waste a lot of time and money. Good luck.

Edit: I'm not spamming for firerecruit. There are other's too, 911hotjobs is one, can't remember the name of the other. Anyway, good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Let's start with the state you are in

And that would be????
    NJ..we aren't testing until 2012.

Forum Member

Ouccccccch

Forum Member

Talking

NJ..we aren't testing until 2012.
    With the current economy there are lots more layoffs or not hiring to replace retirements coming up. The rust belt and northeast are getting hit especially hard, and municipalities are having to make hard decisions come budget time. Do we file for bankruptcy or cut expenses??
    Many cities and towns can no longer afford to sustain the levels of government employees as they have when times were fat and money wasn't as much of an issue.

It is a reflex action directly tied to the loss of manufacturing jobs and all the employees that used to pay to support the tax base. The businesses have gone overseas to increase profits and the once well employed blue collar folks are trying desperately to hold on to what they had. The housing market is bust in many areas of the country because folks bought and mortgaged more house than they could really afford and now they are upside down with the banks.

It used to be that once you were hired on the job, you were set for life short of murdering someone or sleeping with the chiefs wife and getting caught. NOT anymore!

Go to school and get a degree while you are waiting for things to get better.
    Not trying to dissuade you from your dream, just passing on a reality check.

Forum Member

Exclamation

You know there are other Fire Departments - Cities - Counties in other states other than New Jersey that are taking applications, testing and are hiring!

Look elsewhere unless for some reason you can't leave the Garden State!

Look in the Hiring Thread.

Forum Member

Hey guys,

1. www.Firecareers.com
    (Once you are a subscribed member you will never miss another test)

2. Different states have different training requirements. Best thing to do is when testing out of state make the department figure out if you meet the requirements or not.

3. Out here in the west medics are on practically every engine and truck now. They have more job openings due to the large majority of three person companies. If your a medic you will have a better chance of being hired due to more job openings. Oral boards, and chief's boards look for down to earth people who we can all work and live with in the firehouse. Attitude is everything, skills can be taught for the most part.

Thread Information