Like Tree3Likes

Thread: City of Sacramento

MembersZone Subscriber

Default City of Sacramento

The City of Sacramento is seeking applicants for the positions of Fire Recruit (Entry Level) and Firefighter Lateral.

The closing date for applications for the position of Fire Recruit is 11/19/10. Firelighter Lateral is currently a continuous recruitment.

The tentative written test date is in December of 2010. Best of luck to all who apply.

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/sac...FwddxPacket%3E

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/sac...FwddxPacket%3E

MembersZone Subscriber

I applied for the Fire Recruit position. I have heard that their going to use CPS for the written exam. Not a fan of the CPS or CWH written exams. Will see how it goes. Anyone know how many they plan to hire?

Forum Member

Default Test

No idea how many they are looking to hire. I just took a cps written exam and it was pretty tough, i think practice is key for those kinds of tests.

Forum Member

Default CPS Tests

FYI, if you don't already know. I believe there are around 5 different CPS tests. I have taken 3 CPS test this year and 2 of them were the same test. The Alameda CPS test was different and seemed a lot more difficult. The other 2 tests didn't have an oral listening portion. I think that part of the test is going to make or break a lot of people.

Forum Member

Does anyone know if they accept seasonal experience to qualify for the lateral position?

Forum Member

I think the best way to prepare for the CPS tests is to pick up a study guide from Borders and go through it as much as possible. I can't remember the exact study guide I picked up for the Alameda exam, but I think the publisher was either Barron's or McGraw Hill. The Alameda exam took me a lot longer than some of the other CPS tests I've taken in the past. I'm curious to hear how everyone did.

As far as your question Shorthaul... They are looking for two years full time paid experience so I don't believe they'd count seasonal experience, but it's worth a shot. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken...

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Pikeman for the heads up!!!

Forum Member

Thanks for the notification, forwarding this to my budy out there now.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

Does anyone know if its possible to get old copies of CPS exams?

MembersZone Subscriber

Just to reiterate, I had heard that they are going to use CPS for their written exam. But I am not positive on that.

Forum Member

I received an email with my test date and time for the written exam. Does anyone have any further info regarding the CPS exam? Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

I also applied for the fire recruit position, and I just got my confirmation email. I got the notice last month because a friend who works for Sac Fire forwarded me the internal memo. They are hoping to recruit people who have gone to the regional fire academy in Sacramento and/or have done their paramedic internship with them. They are hoping to hire 48-60 firefighters to put through a short, department specific academy, not the full academy. I believe its supposed to be a CPS test, should be similar to the one they used two years ago.

MembersZone Subscriber

Any idea what is going on with the Firefighter/ Paramedic laterals, if this testing relates to those applicants at all? I accidentally applied for recruit as well, so I received an email today also. The hr guy stated when they get enough applicants, they will let me know. Do they have a hard time getting qualified medics?

MembersZone Subscriber

I also received my notice today. My test time is at 6pm, anyone else get a late test time?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by amtresidder View Post
    I also applied for the fire recruit position, and I just got my confirmation email. I got the notice last month because a friend who works for Sac Fire forwarded me the internal memo. They are hoping to recruit people who have gone to the regional fire academy in Sacramento and/or have done their paramedic internship with them. They are hoping to hire 48-60 firefighters to put through a short, department specific academy, not the full academy. I believe its supposed to be a CPS test, should be similar to the one they used two years ago.
    if thats the case why bother having an open recruitment

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LABruin View Post
    Does anyone know if its possible to get old copies of CPS exams?
    You have to have a special ID number to buy a CPS exam online. You have to be affiliated with CPS or be an employee or something. Each test is $305-$315 a piece. There are 5 tests I believe.

Forum Member

Default ???

Im kinda confused on what the position Fire Recruit is for Sacramento. Is this a spot for someone who wants to go into their academy? or for someone who has already completed one. Also do you need to have your paramedics for this?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jmal View Post
    Im kinda confused on what the position Fire Recruit is for Sacramento. Is this a spot for someone who wants to go into their academy? or for someone who has already completed one. Also do you need to have your paramedics for this?
    Read the job announcement. This should clarify things.

http://www.governmentjobs.com/view_j...257680&Regen=1

Forum Member

A question for anyone who took the test:

The question that stumped me was on the Battery circuit at the end of the test...if anyone has a link of some sources on battery basics I would appreciate it for the next time around!

Hope everyone did well and we should be seeing our scores here in the next week or 2 based on what they told us.
    Last edited by Jskierpx; 04-12-2011 at 09:13 PM.

For the battery stuff - http://www.engineersedge.com/battery...onnections.htm

As for the grey area teamwork stuff ?????

Forum Member

Default Veterans Preference

I got an 89%... I have friends that got in the high 60's and they still passed so who knows. I've heard they're hiring as many as 60-80.
    Last edited by Parkerway; 01-17-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Forum Member

Default Scores

DID Anyone receive there scores yet? I just received and email this morn. Passed with 91%

Forum Member

I also passed the written exam. I know a few people who did not. Anyone know what the cutoff score was? 70%? I wonder what the process is from here.

I was also shocked Veterans points weren't a factor. Could have helped.

Forum Member

Default scores

yeah, no idea about the cut off. but most tests are around a 70% cut off right? Congrats to those who passed. I got an email saying I passed as well. Next step? How many are they looking to hire?

Forum Member

nothing yet.

Thread Information