Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Response lights in KY

I've read the KRS statutes about firefighters in KY permitted to use red lights and a siren on their POV, but I haven't seen anything in the statutes about white lights in addition. I'm planning to order a couple lights soon, and I'd like to know if anyone would know if white lights are permitted.

P.S. sorry if this is the wrong forum, feel free to move it if necessary. Thanks!

Forum Member

Yes. You can have white and amber as well as red. Now please don't post anything more about friggin lights. We are all sick of hearing about it!!

Call the Kentucky Department of Public Safety or DMV.

Here is the code...

189.920 Flashing lights.

(1) All fire department, rescue squad, or publicly owned emergency management agency emergency vehicles and all ambulances shall be equipped with one (1) or more flashing, rotating, or oscillating red lights, visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of five hundred (500) feet to the front of the vehicle, and a siren, whistle, or bell, capable of emitting a sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet. This equipment shall be in addition to any other equipment required by the motor vehicle laws.

(9) A personal vehicle used by a paid or volunteer firefighter, ambulance personnel, or emergency services director who is responding to an emergency shall display the lights required in subsection (1) of this section.
    Looks like white lights are not permitted by firefighters...

Here is the link...

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/189-00/920.PDF

This is a current bill that will modify the law if adopted:

www.lrc.ky.gov/record/11RS/HB34/bill.doc

Some information that I found suggests that ordinances can vary between counties, so you should visit with your County Law Enforcement.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigNozzlePumper View Post
    Yes. You can have white and amber as well as red. Now please don't post anything more about friggin lights. We are all sick of hearing about it!!
    Thanks for the complete crap response. Wanna cookie?

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    Call the Kentucky Department of Public Safety or DMV.

Here is the code...

Looks like white lights are not permitted by firefighters...

Here is the link...

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/189-00/920.PDF

This is a current bill that will modify the law if adopted:

www.lrc.ky.gov/record/11RS/HB34/bill.doc

Some information that I found suggests that ordinances can vary between counties, so you should visit with your County Law Enforcement.
    Alright, that's kind of what I thought. I haven't seen a POV here with white lights anyways, and I'll double check with the fire chief. Thanks for the response! Looks like all-red for me.

Most states require a signed authorization document from the Chief that you must carry in the vehicle.

No one should get it in their head that I endorse emergency lights on POVs. I don't, despite answering the question submitted.

No offense to the OP, but why wouldn't your department give you guidance on this?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigNozzlePumper View Post
    To be on here less than 30 days you are talking kinda big and all knowing. How much service time have you got in this rodeo here Jolly Roger? instead of being an AKA you could have calmly said check the forums history, or better yet (especially if you were from KY) send him to look in KRS, if not what would it have mattered?

Paladin, thanks for taking care of the new guy!

New guy, way to handle yourself!
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by djiceman1575 View Post
    I've read the KRS statutes about firefighters in KY permitted to use red lights and a siren on their POV, but I haven't seen anything in the statutes about white lights in addition. I'm planning to order a couple lights soon, and I'd like to know if anyone would know if white lights are permitted.

P.S. sorry if this is the wrong forum, feel free to move it if necessary. Thanks!
    DJ, in KY usually from what I have seen departments set a minimum training hour requirement before allowing you to use warning lights
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt387 View Post
    DJ, in KY usually from what I have seen departments set a minimum training hour requirement before allowing you to use warning lights
    As he said, most require a member to be of age and have the necessary classes to be a FF-2 , etc. before a permit for lights will be granted.

The department should have a policy be it in KY, TN, VA, PA, AR, HI, NM, NY, NJ, and so on.

Ask the Chief!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

What my cheif told me was that i had to complete drivers traning have a siren of atlest 100 watts and 360 deg vue with my lights i can run red and whites or red and yellow or red i also have to have a singed releaes from him before i can run them

Quote Originally Posted by goblin766 View Post
    What my cheif told me was that i had to complete drivers traning have a siren of atlest 100 watts and 360 deg vue with my lights i can run red and whites or red and yellow or red i also have to have a singed releaes from him before i can run them

Would you please spell the words correctly and use proper sentence structure.

Find the English teacher who tried to teach you and ask to be given further instruction on this.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

did you understand what i was saying if so WTF is teh problem

Wink

Now now hot shot, no need to get your drawers in a knot and choke your senses.

They members are trying to help.

You come in with a broad statement with many misspelled words and syntax mistakes.

Most of the ones who have responded to you have years on you and probably have seen more hot jobs than you may, if you stay as long as them.

You respond back nasty and they will keep on you.

Be cool pal.

A member suggest that you work on your spelling and you go ballistic?

Despite my personal feelings about POV lights, I tried to help you. I don't like POV lights, I don't think it is a good idea, I think it is dangerous practice , and I don't think people who use them or want them have best interest of the community at heart.

Most of you guys that want them use them as a status symbol..."Hey look at me, I'm special".

But what is really says is "Hey look at me... I'm an idiot."

Get over you attitiude bud. You'll find people willing to help you more than if you don't spit in their face.

By the way... you stated you read the KRS. The information I posted took me about 20 minutes to find using Google Search.

Why don't you do your own research in the future.

MembersZone Subscriber

You read like a fcuknig idiot is the problem. Do you understand what I am saying?

(PK, this is not the OP, don't know if you got them confused, or if you're just lumping all the POV-lights wackers together...)
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

I just didn't like the guys response... and yes I did confuse them. My apologies to the OP.

But to goblin... I hope your Chief is a lot smarter than you son. When you screw up, it will be his butt that will feel the impact.

Thanks mrpita... hadn't had my first cup yet.

I understand that this practice goes on. I respect the guys and the reasons why some feel the need to do so. Every dynamic is different. But if they are coming here to prove anything, or cram their agendas down others throats, then it becomes fair game. If they come here just to insult, then the gloves come off.

The bottom line is there are rules that apply in every State. Most of us don't know all of them. But when I can find a Law in 20 minutes with a little work, in a State that I have never worked in, why can't the guys that need to know it. Ask your Chief, call the State, ask someone in your State that can give you the damn answer. But don't come here and justify why you need it, or how you're special because your State allows it.

As a Chief, I would never sign off on any firefighter to use POV lights. I don't want the responsibility, for myself or the department. Anyone that would circumvent my position or department policy would be punished.

The "I need one so I can get there faster" statement just doesn't hold water.

I'm in a busy city, and we have a policy where our guys will cut their lights and sirens during responses in heavy traffic to reduce the chance of causing additional problems. If traffic is moving, our truck is moving. If conditions are at gridlock, then we exercise lights and sirens and move through. But we do not want to cause anyone to become firghtened, or overreact. And there is the issue.

Drivers react differently when a Fire Truck pulls up behind them with lights and sirens. Some try to outrun you. Some will stop in the middle of the lane. Some will try to turn off the lane or pass someone else. You might pass one, but the people in front of that one might not have a clue and you have now startled them. Our guys observe all traffic laws, and only do what is allowed under the law. Period.

I don't need several guys running POVs with lights and sirens through town causing more issues. The risk is just too great, for you, the public, and the department. And we especially don't need 16 or 17 year old kids thinking their above the law because they have a blue light.

Mr. Chairman, I yield the rest of my time to the esteemed member from Kentucky...

Forum Member

i didnt post the qustion btw i was giving the answer my cheif gave me so sorry to who all i offended

i didnt post the qustion btw i was giving the answer my cheif gave me so sorry to who all i offended
    It takes a pretty big guy to post an apology when he knows he was wrong.

Thanks for stepping up sir.

Forum Member

i was a p r i c k about it my typing and spelling sux i know that. ive had so many ppl flame me over it that my frist responce. so back to teh decusion im not a light wakker. i do have to run POV most of the time,cause of reg cab trucks. i do run a red and white mini phatom in the front and one in the back,but i dont have any desier to run any more thats all i need

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Would you please spell the words correctly and use proper sentence structure.

Find the English teacher who tried to teach you and ask to be given further instruction on this.
    Find the English Teacher AND the Superintendent of the school district that presented his diploma and B I T C H slap them both.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information