Firehouse.com Editor

Default Rapid Intervention Training

What do you consider rapid intervention training and what type of training does your department offer? How often do you run through it? Does your department have training props?

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Our RIT Training

We brought-out a Training Cadre (a few Guys) from some surrounding Departments (primarily our local County FD) that specialize in this type of training. We focused on the "Denver Drill", Calling in the Mayday, FF Rescue, FF Rescue Techniques, FF Self Rescue, Air Management, Physical Fitness and Mental Stability of the FF, the "Progressive/Aggressive and Mobile RIT, Softening the Structure and the statistics from Phoenix FD.

We also covered this at the Rio Hondo Truck Academy. There they cover similar topics and then we performed a simulated Commercial RIT activation in a Wide Rise. They also cover the "Nance Drill" which is awesome. It's a huge eye-opener when you actually perform the exercise.

As far as Training Props, yes my Department has some. They are built into our Training Tower. We also went to a building that is set to be burned on the 17th of this month and we went and did "FF Self Rescue/Breaching Walls" training. We tied this into Forcible Entry training for some of our new FF/PMs. We purchased a bit of RIT Equipment this year and put it in-service on our Truck Company. As far as my Crew goes, I feel we are really solid on RIT Operations.

FHEditor, how about finding some of the C.O. and Chiefs that have been involved in RIT activations and covering what went well and not so well in an article each month?

One area that I feel many FDs are weak in is "Managing the RIT Activation." Would be nice if there were some classes developed to make this a strength for all FDs.
    Last edited by mikeyboy; 11-14-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Didn't answer all the questions.....
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Firehouse.com Editor

Mikeyboy,

Thanks for the feedback, it's really appreciated! That's an excellent idea and I'd love to talk with members who were involved in Maydays and RIT deployments to share their experiences and advice.

We recorded a roundtable podcast at Firehouse Expo this year called "Preparing for Tomorrow's RIT Deployment Today" http://www.firehouse.com/podcast/fir...ployment-today. One of the guests called a Mayday and he shares the details from the incident, including being on the wrong radio channel and the department's RIT policies.

We'll be recording a similar show at Firehouse World in San Diego this winter, standby for those details. Hopefully you're at the show.

If you know anyone who would make a good subject, shoot me a PM or e-mail me at: peter.matthews@cygnusb2b.com.

Stay safe,
    Pete

Forum Member

Just thinking out loud here..

To me, it seems as though RIT training should be separated out into two separate trainings; proactive and reactive.

Proactive RIT training - staying out of "mayday" situations, softening the structure, etc..

Reactive RIT training - firefighter removal and rescue.

Is there anybody that does training like this?

MembersZone Subscriber

We currently don't but I do like that idea..... Mind if I borrow it?
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyboy View Post
    We currently don't but I do like that idea..... Mind if I borrow it?
    I like the idea too.

Of course you can borrow it.

I am a Captain currently assigned to the Training Division and it has been a concept I have been think about for a long time. I would love to implement the concept at my FD.

If you choose to do something with the concept, let me know what you come up with and I will do the same.

Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by J.Beck View Post
    Just thinking out loud here..

To me, it seems as though RIT training should be separated out into two separate trainings; proactive and reactive.

Proactive RIT training - staying out of "mayday" situations, softening the structure, etc..

Reactive RIT training - firefighter removal and rescue.

Is there anybody that does training like this?
    I agree with what you say no matter how well you are trained, some things do happen...

Proactive RIT such as why do we not do the "basics" anymore? Lack of training? Some of the classes I have done it is amazing how some can't even put their gear on properly and barley can get their SCBA on at that... Then to top it off some people have an excuse!! That is unreal, there is no reason that they shouldn't be able to don their ppe properly. Then it is interesting to see them just do a search. Lack of training on drill night...

But to answer that as you say I work on basics with our people and FF Survival quite a bit.

Then the reactive is somewhat putting the proactive together. And of course reaching the down ff and doing what neeeds to be done to package them for removal. ..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    I agree with what you say no matter how well you are trained, some things do happen...

Proactive RIT such as why do we not do the "basics" anymore? Lack of training? Some of the classes I have done it is amazing how some can't even put their gear on properly and barley can get their SCBA on at that... Then to top it off some people have an excuse!! That is unreal, there is no reason that they shouldn't be able to don their ppe properly. Then it is interesting to see them just do a search. Lack of training on drill night...

But to answer that as you say I work on basics with our people and FF Survival quite a bit.

Then the reactive is somewhat putting the proactive together. And of course reaching the down ff and doing what neeeds to be done to package them for removal. ..
    +1

You're right! Focusing on the basics is a form of "proactive" RIT.

Love it..

MembersZone Subscriber

Sweet thanks... Will do. Send me a P.M. with an email address and I'll share the training I have with you.

Plus, when we're finished with it I will send you a copy of our RIT/RIC SOP.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyboy View Post
    Sweet thanks... Will do. Send me a P.M. with an email address and I'll share the training I have with you.

Plus, when we're finished with it I will send you a copy of our RIT/RIC SOP.
    Thanks Mikey!

I will do the same..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FHEditor View Post
    ....Does your department have training props?
    If you have a firehouse, you have a prop. Pull the rigs out. Put a few kitchen chairs, a table and whatever else in there. Have one member be a victom. Wax paper in the RIT members SCBA facepiece, or hood backwards, and you have a prop.

Move the furniture around and you have a new layout. Actually, you can leave a rig in if you want.

A second floor or basement. You can do a stair removal.

Those are my props.

MembersZone Subscriber

That's what we did this Tour with our RIT Training.

Wanna see something interesting? Leave (2) Rigs parked side-by-side and see how each Team covers that area. Some will be inline, some will spread-out and some will lose contact with each other. Those that seperated were sent back and started over. I'm a "Spreader" myself, I prefer to be to the side when conducting searches since that is where our ears are located and a larger area can be covered.

Forum Member

We'll be doing the stair rescue up from the basement in my house Thursday. The firehouse was renovated bit over a year ago so there are new wider concrete stairs to use. I think in about a week or so the rest of the companies in the battalion will be over to do it.

Every month the department comes out with a training schedual, but I like to add my own evolutions.

Forum Member

Default Alternatives

I've recently heard from instructors and some neighboring departments that they are getting away from the "Denver" Drill. This, however, does not solve the problem at hand when it was first designed and used. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I can find some information and newer strategies? Has anyone toyed around with some things and found success? Any ideas would be appreciated!

Forum Member

Default Denver Drill Alternative

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3tPageY3W8

This is what I found recently. Looks like it works well. Has anyone tried this?

Forum Member

Looks like it will work fine on a conscious firefighter standing there.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

As you all know, RIT, or FAST has been around since the 70's, it isnt until recently we adopted this procedure in north america and put some form of formality to it.
    First, I would say for training, use the internet and publications like firehouse, they have excellent RIT procedures and training tips you can follow, Second, use local resources training ideas, especially larger departments, they dont follow, they re-invent.

FAST or RIT should be proactive, never reactive!
    Proactive approaches like educating, training (radio use and entanglement recovery etc), identifying and recognizing potential problems through company inspections of local hazardous buildings, firefighter alertness and self rescuing, self preservation when trapped etc are all keys to successful RIT.

Having identified RIT teams and allowing them training time is a great thing on a shift too, dont just put the lazy or unmotivated guys on the rescue rigs, put the go getters, who are keen in their jobs because inevitably, they may be the RIT team. Dont deploy RIT on the bulding entrance and "wait for trouble", get themcloser and use them.

Advice I have is to stop thinking RIT, Think FAST, and deploy them closer or "on deck" to the fire crews. RIT should be working, doing medial tasks closer the attack or ventilation crews at highest risk, sitting outside isnt going to help the crews at risk on the third floor if it all goes bad. A well trained firefighter will not get into a bad situation knowing he will risk others to do so, Mayday should be called before you get into a no win situation, tell your firefighters not to wait until they are completly lost to initiate a mayday, maydays dont always mean RIT will come running, some can be talked out of their situations but only if they call mayday before the @&it hits the fan so to speak.

Do RIT drills and you will quickly see how ineffective RIT is because it is always initiated after all is lost due to the current training of our firefighters, perservere and push through it...
    Having FAST "on deck" or closer to the actual "battle" coupled with earlier mayday calls will result in a rescue most times it is initiated. Get you guys recognizing when to call a mayday, teach them there is no pride in running out of air, or trying to find their way out if they are lost, mayday alerts all on the scene and mentally prepares them for their deployment, if you train them that when mayday comes it is the end of someone they will react as that and it will be controlled chaos at best every time you hear the spine shivering mayday calls...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_fyrfighter View Post

FAST or RIT should be proactive, never reactive!

Dont deploy RIT on the bulding entrance and "wait for trouble", get themcloser and use them.

Advice I have is to stop thinking RIT, Think FAST, and deploy them closer or "on deck" to the fire crews. RIT should be working, doing medial tasks closer the attack or ventilation crews at highest risk, sitting outside isnt going to help the crews at risk on the third floor if it all goes bad. A well trained firefighter will not get into a bad situation knowing he will risk others to do so, ...
    I agree a RIT team should be proactive. In my dept they are required to throw at least 2 ground ladders, depending on fire location, where FF's might need them most and remove obsticles from windows(burglur bars, A/C units,ets). But I don't agree they should be working at the fire. They need to be ready to assist someone immediately. Not stop in the middle of some medical task someone else should be doing to rescue someone. They need to be constantly monitoring the radio for a call for help. Also looking at the building for signs of collapse or if someone suddenly appears at a window is distress.
    In your 3-story building, where would you have them? Inside? If they weren't fighting the fire then they're in the way and adding to the life hazzard.
    We do have RIT teams inside for highrise fires. We had a fire on the 27th floor of a building and had two teams staged on floor 25. Other than that If they get involved with the fire, they're distracted from the job they're there for.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    But I don't agree they should be working at the fire. They need to be ready to assist someone immediately. Not stop in the middle of some medical task someone else should be doing to rescue someone.
    I agree completly, but I do believe I said MEDIAL tasks, as in small, quick, close tasks, not medical. I agree that RIT cannot and should not be distracted from their orginal assignment, but they certainly arenty there to stand in one place and wait for **** to happen, whenit does, they are going for body recovery and that is unacceptable to me.

In your 3-story building, where would you have them? Inside? If they weren't fighting the fire then they're in the way and adding to the life hazzard.
    As a company officer I would have them in the structure ready to be deployed, but it completly depends onthe complexity of that structure, the fires location and involvement, buillding type etc.
    If the attack and or ventilation crews are on the first floor, then there is no need to enter as RIT or FAST, if it is on the second floor, then perhaps yes, they would be deployed in the stairwell below the fire floor opposite to the involved area tools in hand, involvement on the third floor, RIT perhaps would again be in the stairwell below the fire floor, or even in cases in the aerial bucket placed in an adjacent suite balcony....Really, emphasis is to think outside the box of ground operations if you have the resources available to you...

We do have RIT teams inside for highrise fires. We had a fire on the 27th floor of a building and had two teams staged on floor 25. Other than that If they get involved with the fire, they're distracted from the job they're there for.
    See, just like your three story walkup...(only larger) FAST teams could be on the floor below the fire crews, (deployment) with a backup crew on the second floor below (staging). Every fire will dicate different deployment, a large concrete building with the blaze contained in a suite, then they could be behind fire doors on the floor ready for deployment. As you know RIT or FAST should take the most direct, rapidist means available to get the downed firefighter(s), time is money in essence.

Still all in all, proactive is far better than reactive IMO.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_fyrfighter View Post
    I agree completly, but I do believe I said MEDIAL tasks, as in small, quick, close tasks, not medical. I agree that RIT cannot and should not be distracted from their orginal assignment, but they certainly arenty there to stand in one place and wait for **** to happen, whenit does, they are going for body recovery and that is unacceptable to me.

As a company officer I would have them in the structure ready to be deployed, but it completly depends onthe complexity of that structure, the fires location and involvement, buillding type etc.
    If the attack and or ventilation crews are on the first floor, then there is no need to enter as RIT or FAST, if it is on the second floor, then perhaps yes, they would be deployed in the stairwell below the fire floor opposite to the involved area tools in hand, involvement on the third floor, RIT perhaps would again be in the stairwell below the fire floor, or even in cases in the aerial bucket placed in an adjacent suite balcony....Really, emphasis is to think outside the box of ground operations if you have the resources available to you...

See, just like your three story walkup...(only larger) FAST teams could be on the floor below the fire crews, (deployment) with a backup crew on the second floor below (staging). Every fire will dicate different deployment, a large concrete building with the blaze contained in a suite, then they could be behind fire doors on the floor ready for deployment. As you know RIT or FAST should take the most direct, rapidist means available to get the downed firefighter(s), time is money in essence.

Still all in all, proactive is far better than reactive IMO.
    Yes you did say that. Sometimes I don't wear the reading glasses.

Being staged in a stairwell is not practical in my area. Most stairways are narrow, along with the halls. People standing not moving doing something would be in the way.

Also, there's always noise in the fire building. Hoselines in operation, ceilings being pulled, walls being opened,etc. It would be difficult to closely monitor the radio and hear a call for help. Monitoring the radio is essential for the RIT team. The IC can't always hear everything with rigs pumping and aerial ladders in high idle around him.

How about tool selection? Do you expect them to carry every tool inside to stage? Not every tool might be needed, but they're loaded down like pack mules if they bring everything in with them.

On a similar note..A short time ago there was a post here asking if a handlind should be brought in with the RIT team. Many said yes they should. I don't feel they should as an everyday rule. But what if one was needed? Who would bring it if everyone else is involved with suppression?

Does your Dept have a SOP for RIT?

Not trying to be confrontational here. Just having a discussion.

Our fire dept. does have an SOP for RIT. We do not require our teams to bring in a handline. We will either use a search line anchored outside the structure or the hoseline used on the initial attack

Forum Member

Default RIT/FAST Powerpoint

i have to teach a RIT class to a department on a very tight budget (i'm sure we all do). anyone have a powerpoint and lesson plan i could take a look at to get some ideas. thanks.

Forum Member

I have a couple of powerpoints that I use to teach RIT.

I also teach a 12 hour class on a regional basis which is about 75% hands-on. I'd be happy to give you the practical skill lesson plan as well.

I also have a self-rescue class that I teach.

Contact me at bcallahan@bpfd1.org.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 05-09-2011 at 01:14 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pelican615 View Post
    I've recently heard from instructors and some neighboring departments that they are getting away from the "Denver" Drill. This, however, does not solve the problem at hand when it was first designed and used. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I can find some information and newer strategies? Has anyone toyed around with some things and found success? Any ideas would be appreciated!
    While the Denver Drill does have limited value in most RIT situations, it does work well as a team problem solving and communications exercise. To me, that is it's primary value.

Look at the buildings in your district and potential problems that the construction will create when it comes to removing a firefighter, then design your drills around your district.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Looking for an outside vendor to come in to teach and certify firefighters in RIT training that is NFPA 1407 compliant.

Has anyone done this and who did you use. Located in Northeast (more specifically Maine).

Thread Information