Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default The numbers game

Right now I am in the middle of the application process to join the Little Rock FD. I scored an 86 on the written test and have the the physical ability test this friday.Even though I feel that I am very hirable I feel that my chances are slim since there are 850 applicants for 9 openings. I am registering for EMT school this week so that I can start applying for positions in the state of florida that require more training in order to help my odds out. My question is if I get my EMT cert , and then get a Firefighter I and II cert what are my chances of getting on with a department in a place like florida? I am 28 have a clean record , 4 years in the Army , jump wings blah blah blah. Thanks for the time.

Forum Member

Check first in gaining your EMT and other certs if you're planning on heading to Florida because they might need to certified in Florida.

How many badges are you looking for? One right? Don't let the odds overwhelm you. You sound like you have some solid experience that can be incorporated into the most important part of getting hired and that's the oral board.

Get your EMT and see if you like it. Then to improve your odds consider medic school. That could be your ticket in since it can be used almost anywhere else with the national certification.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Get your EMT. That's a good START. Next, work on getting into a basic fire academy. Work toward your AS degree in fire science. If you already have an AS degree, work toward a Bachelors.
    Consider getting your paramedic license.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

Thanks for the tips. Paul do most departments in Southern Cal require you to be pre-certified or train after hire? Is California's financial situation effecting hiring out there?

Forum Member

Default One badge is all you need...

Hi Razoback-

I tested for about 4.5 years in California and can tell you that most of the large departments look for EMT and a bit smaller proportion look for Firefighter 1 certification.

The financial health (or lack thereof) of California and many states is affecting hiring. Its not going to get easier anytime soon...

You actually have a great foundation for the job and hey, if it was easy...Everybody would do it!

I would sit down and develop a plan as to how far i'd be willing/able to travel for the testing process. I'd then sit down and make a detailed plan of how I was going to prepare for the process. The numbers can seem overwhelming, but the people who get hired understand the testing process very well and have taken the necessary steps to be the best candidates. You'b be shocked at how few of the people testing have done any preparation. The numbers of "real competitors" are much smaller.

Both Capt. Bob and Chief Lepore have good resources for how to prepare yourself. Check those out right away along with getting your EMT Certification. In this day and age, the Paramedic Cert. is also a great tool as there is an even smaller field of competitors for Firemedic spots. The other thing about it is that it allows you to realistically make ends meet while traveling and testing. Fire academies and school are great, but I found that having the above and being ultra prepared for the testing process was what pushed me over the top to the badge.

Good Luck, and feel free to ask me anything.

Paul

Forum Member

Razorback, I'll be taking the physical at 12:30 on Friday. Do you have the same time? I called and they said a score of 75 on the written was the cutoff point. I got an 80 so I'm wondering if that means everyone that scored 75 or higher gets to take the physical, or that that last person their inviting just happened to score a 75?

Forum Member

SFA-

Generally speaking, the cut off is based on the score itself. In other words, the department is saying that they're going to let anyone who scored 75 or higher go on to the physical portion.

Forum Member

Anyone that made the cutoff of 70% is eligible to take the pass of fail physical agility test , I am doing mine on friday at 7:30 am. After passing the P.A.T. the next step is an interview that is done completly by video. They play a video of a person asking you questions , and then record your responses which is kind of weird. I plan to make a mach set up in my garage to practice interacting in that way.

Forum Member

Buy yourself a cheap voice recorder and practice practice practice. Most candidates have no idea how horrible they sound until they record themselves. Work on eliminating the hmm, ughhs, and ahhhs, from your answers. Take a few seconds to gather your thoughts before you start your answers. Good luck.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

Thanks for all of the tips guys. Tomorrow is the physical test so I will keep you posted. If I can pass this part I feel confident going into the interview. For the past 5 years I have been working as a financial advisor, so I have been exercising my vocal chords for a little while.

prev post removed
    Last edited by BennyT373; 11-18-2010 at 01:57 PM.

Not to be a d--k, but work also on improving your written score.

An 86 isn't going to get it done in most places.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sfd1992 View Post

Not to be a d--k, but given wide range of test variations I don't think you can say what score will or will not get it "done in most places." I've scored a 98 on one test and ranked 195th and scored an 82 on another which ranked me in the top 25. All test are not the same...by far.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sfd1992 View Post

Well I guess you can never score too high on a test. I set my mind on becoming a firefighter 2 days before this test so I really haven't prepped at all for this process, so i am surprised that I scored as well as I did. I am focusing all of my energy on the oral board coming up next month. If I don't make the cut this time then I am preparing for the National Testing Center.

Forum Member

Passed the Physical test today. Time to get ready to interview.

Thread Information