Forum Member

Default What information are you missing?

Hey Guys-

I've been a firemedic for a few minutes now, and i'm starting to try and help out those who are serious about becoming firefighters. My first priority is to those who have demonstrated their seriousness in being a part of the fire service...So, I'm posting this here.

There is alot of good information out there (and some crap), but I've noticed that there are always a ton of questions in the forums about getting the badge.

My question for all of you is:

What might be done to help Explorers/volunteers/cadets/and JR Firefighters? How can it be made easier for you? Is there anything you' like to see compiled, made more clear, or easier to find?

Let me know, and i'll see what I can do.

Paul
    LVFR '98 EMT-P

Forum Member

The questions you pose seem very vague. Elaborate some more please, I still like where you are going with this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulC. View Post
    Hey Guys-

I've been a firemedic for a few minutes now, and i'm starting to try and help out those who are serious about becoming firefighters. My first priority is to those who have demonstrated their seriousness in being a part of the fire service...So, I'm posting this here.

There is alot of good information out there (and some crap), but I've noticed that there are always a ton of questions in the forums about getting the badge.

My question for all of you is:

What might be done to help Explorers/volunteers/cadets/and JR Firefighters? How can it be made easier for you? Is there anything you' like to see compiled, made more clear, or easier to find?

Let me know, and i'll see what I can do.

Paul
    LVFR '98 EMT-P

Who are you and where are you proby?

Forum Member

CGITCH-

Thanks for the reply. I want to give highly motivated firefighter candidates a leg up. I think there are some awesome resources here on the forums (Chief Lepore, Capt. Bob, etc.) and much of the information is out there but i'm wondering what the best candidates (those who are volunteering their time, working as cadets, and trying in a very concrete way to earn a place in the career) feel like they are lacking. I want to see if there is a way to really make a difference to these people. I have some thoughts around what I feel is missing, but i'd like to listen to the guys who are where I was 12 years ago and see if what they feel they need jibes with my thoughts.

How about these questions:

What do you feel would help you better navigate the hiring process?

What do you feel would push you over the edge to get the badge?

Hope I can help!

Paul

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    Who are you and where are you proby?
    Hey Jonnee-

Good questions. I'm Paul, and i've been a firefighter/paramedic for the City of Las Vegas for 12 years. I didn't commit to becoming a firefighter until I was 25 years old after graduating from San Diego State University with a Bachelors in Public Administration and working in the private sector for a few years. I'd spent ALOT of time with family and friends dictating to me what they thought would be best for me in my life and career, and at 25 said enough was enough...I was going to do what I felt was best for my life and pursue the dream of becoming a firefighter. Over four and a half years, I went back to school to get fire science courses, volunteered, put myself through emt and medic school, worked as a medic and EMT for experience, lived in college level poverty, and tested all over God's green earth. I gave my classes commencement speech, not because I was the smartest guy in the class, but because I was the the most fired up to stand up in front of a huge group of people and scream how happy I was to be there and how proud I was to be a member of Las Vegas Fire and Rescue.

Now...after alot of years, marriage, kids, and some bouts with illness...I'm going to start helping people who are where I was. I know I would've gotten picked up in about half the time it took (with a quarter of the heartache) had I known what to do...

How 'bout you Jonnee? Where you at? Where you from?

Paul
    Last edited by PaulC.; 11-17-2010 at 10:58 AM.

Forum Member

You threw us off with your opening:

I've been a firemedic for a few minutes now, and i'm starting to try and help out those who are serious about becoming firefighters.
    We had a difficult time trying to figure out how a probie was all of a sudden an expert on the Fire Service and finding job opportunities.

Having said that, you have certainly paid your dues with 12 in at LVFD. Busy and tough area to work in.

Please Carry on Sir.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    You threw us off with your opening:

We had a difficult time trying to figure out how a probie was all of a sudden an expert on the Fire Service and finding job opportunities.

Having said that, you have certainly paid your dues with 12 in at LVFD. Busy and tough area to work in.

Please Carry on Sir.

Have to say the first couple of posts of his, I was thinking another bs'er or crowbar had returned!!!

As for myself as well, sounded like another rook who made it through rookie school and is full of book sense and p!ss and vinegar!

Good luck young man.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Hah!

Totally my fault guys. I've had a running joke with friends since having 5 years in when we were sitting at the station giving eachother a hard time and one friend snapped at another (who had less time/3 years in) saying, "What you've got like three minutes on the job and you know everything!" Ever since then years=minutes...

I'll never mind a senior firefighter referring to me as a rookie/probie though because having a "new on the job" mindset isn't such a bad thing to me. I learn something new all the time, and I still consider myself a student. I know a bunch about how to get picked up on the job (because I made pretty much every mistake and learned the hard way...funny how you tend NOT to forget some of these lessons...), and I think I can be of great help. The thing is all that I know is of no use unless it relates very directly to what guys need. Hence the questions...

Hope I can help any of you who are helping the departments in your area.

PS: CaptOldTimer same as CaptOldTimer blog? Awesome if its you!

Forum Member

I have operated from one philosophy throughout my life:

I don't everything. The day I think I know it all is the day I need to quit.

I try to learn something new everyday. I read and visit with people who know more about something than I do. Technology has changed the Fire Service over the last 40 years, and I have had the honor of being there watching it.

We're doing a better job training firefighters. We're doing a better job saving lives. We are reducing the property losses and devastating effects of fires and other emergencies. And we have reduced the number of deaths, both civilian and firefighters.

But there is much left to do, and we will always need to do better.

So if you can keep your sense of excitement and dedication and still help others at the same time, I appaude you sir. That part of the service is getting a bit understaffed lately.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

PaladinKnight-

Thanks and well said. Couldn't agree more.

Thread Information