Forum Member

Default Short Wheel Base Custom Engine

Does anyone have any examples (pictures, drawings, etc.) of short wheel base custom cab engines? I know HME has the "RAT". Just interested in seeing if any departments have been able to spec out something similar. Thanks in advance!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Squad50FF View Post
    Does anyone have any examples (pictures, drawings, etc.) of short wheel base custom cab engines? I know HME has the "RAT". Just interested in seeing if any departments have been able to spec out something similar. Thanks in advance!
    Go on Mike Martinelli's www.fdnytrucks.com. Look at Upland in Delaware Co., Pa.'s 2004 Seagrave. I've seen it, it's a nice, short truck. Also, there's another company (I can never remember who) in DelCo that has something along the lines of a RAT. It was built by VTech on an HME.

Forum Member

How short? OAL less than 30ft? Wheelbase less than 170".

There are many examples of DC engines on Seagraves website with OALs of 28' 2" and a wheelbase of 163". With a 40+ degreee cramp angle I am not sure how much more manuverable you can get.

Of course the RAT is smaller, but less compartment space.

Forum Member

ChiefEngineer11 thanks for the tip. Upland is a very short trip for me. I'll have to stop and take a closer look. Was looking for something in the range of a 130" to 160" wheelbase. Just trying to see whats out there and what options can get done.

Forum Member

Check out Smeal's website and look for the "Riverside County Contract." Riverside County and Smeal did an excellent job with it. Ferrera also has something similiar as well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Go on Mike Martinelli's www.fdnytrucks.com. Look at Upland in Delaware Co., Pa.'s 2004 Seagrave. I've seen it, it's a nice, short truck. Also, there's another company (I can never remember who) in DelCo that has something along the lines of a RAT. It was built by VTech on an HME.
    Millborn, Pa. Near Upper Darby & Philadelphia.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Sorry, if I seem slightly prejudiced here but as a FORMER HME independent sales rep I thik the RAT offers a whole lot in a little package. Pump and roll to 1250 gpm, pump capacities to 1750, foam systems including HME's MadDog CAF system. Add to that a 50 gallon water tank (OOOOPS that should say 500 gallon water tank) , all stainless body, and the ability to out turn an F550 while carrying 6 firefighters and you have a sweet little package.

I really would like my FD to look at one of these for our next engine and get it in 4 wheel drive.

If my being a FORMER HME rep causes anyone to take an afront to this let me know and I will delete it.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 11-21-2010 at 12:11 PM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Hmmm...The picture won't load oh well... it was a 137 inch wheelbase HME
    built by VTech in Vermont...would that be short enough ?
    Last edited by don120; 11-21-2010 at 11:25 AM.

Forum Member

The question I have is how short are you looking for? We just purchased a 2010 Spartan/Marion 1250/1000/30 with a 169 wheel base and a short OAL of 28 1/2 feet. with 50 degree cramp angle this wil out turn our F550 and most cars.

You could make our pumper even shorter on an HME SFO cab. My concern and those of some manufactures is that the shorter the truck the more apt the truck is to bounce forward and aft and also makes it come spinning around faster than a longer wheelbase truck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Back In Black

http://www.buddlakefire.org/apparatus

Look at Engine 53. Manufacturer no longer exists "New Lexington".
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

One of my favorites is Applegarth, NJ's rescue pumper. IIRC it's about 25 ft long and lacks very little.

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...0&postcount=31
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 11-20-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Forum Member

I don't remember the exact dimensions, but you may want to look at Los Angeles. Their trucks were pretty short. Seagrave, Pierce, and KME all have trucks their I believe... I'm sure you could get a copy of the specs if you ask.
    TruckCommittee.com

Forum Member

Forum Member

I bet that you won't like that cab after a few years. We have that same cab on a truck here and getting into and out of the rear crew area stinks. I am not a huge fan of Spartan cabs... never saw or used one that I liked.
    Last edited by 93Cobra; 11-22-2010 at 08:21 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 93Cobra View Post

I bet that you won't like that cab after a few years. We have that same cab on a truck here and grtting into and out of the rear crew area stinks. I am not a huge fan of Spartan cabs... never saw or used one that I liked.
    Had Spartans for a few years now. Nobody here is complaining. Just bought another. You want 'em to WORK,you better learn how to SPEC. Easy in,easy out. T.c.

Forum Member

Look on Ferrara's website, in the specialty chassis section. Both the Inferno and Igniter chassis are available in a "wildland" chassis configuration. They have pics of a type II engine that sounds like what you are looking for. They have 2 lengths, both under 169" wheelbase. I'm sure they'd build a regular structural pumper on either one. As a plus, I believe they are all wheel drive, too.

I was looking at that and thinking how nice that would be for those of us with gnarly access issues. Steep, narrow, windy 1000' plus drives; light duty, weight limited bridges, etc. Compartment space could be a trifle limited, but that's the trade off for a super short pumper...

I agree with the "It's all in how you spec it" poster. We have two Spartan chassis'd rigs, and like them just fine.

Forum Member

I bet that you won't like that cab after a few years. We have that same cab on a truck here and grtting into and out of the rear crew area stinks. I am not a huge fan of Spartan cabs... never saw or used one that I liked.
    You have to be kidding me. those cabs are much more friendly for us to get in and out of than those ur frequently trying to sell us on.

Forum Member

Default 161.5" wb

When I was still selling Seagrave products, the shortest custom I could do was 161.5" wheel base. This apparatus was never sold so the of course the unit was never built. But still, this is a very good WB for a custom pumper with 1250 pump and 500 gallons of water. I tried to attach the drawing......

The file is too large. If anyone wants the drawing, shoot me an email.
    Last edited by rmcatee1; 11-21-2010 at 09:57 AM. Reason: File too large

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffp20 View Post
    You have to be kidding me. those cabs are much more friendly for us to get in and out of than those ur frequently trying to sell us on.
    I have to agree Spartan has a lot more room and better egress and is more user friendly than that brand you're always pimping.

Forum Member

http://www.smeal.com/uploads/deliver...iesFile525.pdf
    Don't know if this will work but it is the drawings for a 169" WB engine on Smeal's web site.

Forum Member

The height of the cab is ok (non-aerial), however the initial step to get into the cab is too narrow. I also do not like getting up into the driver seat. I have had this truck for seven years now and can't stand it. This one is next for replacement, so thankfully it will be gone soon.
    The other Spartan cab that I did not like was the one below. The interior seemed very cramped and was not what I was expecting. Being a rear-mount aerial didn't help since the raised roof cab option on it was wasted.
    Last edited by 93Cobra; 11-22-2010 at 08:32 AM.

Forum Member

The height of the cab is ok (non-aerial), however the initial step to get into the cab is too narrow. I also do not like getting up into the driver seat. I have had this truck for seven years now and can't stand it. This one is next for replacement, so thankfully it will be gone soon.
    The other Spartan cab that I did not like was the one below. The interior seemed very cramped and was not what I was expecting. Being a rear-mount aerial didn't help since the raised roof cab option on it was wasted.
    You DO realize, that JUST like your beloved Sutphen,Spartan makes QUITE A FEW different cab configurations,CORRECT? Lack of planning(Speccing)on YOUR part does not create a CRISIS on my part.If you bought a SFD,yeah it can be a little tight. Our MFD's,NO issues whatsoever and I've got some pretty big goons. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Got to admit, the Sutphen MFD cab is tighter than than a Spartan of the same size. Currently, we're got a SFD (56") cab on our tower, and it is very tight. I got to take a ride in a Sutphen MFD (68") when we were doing the initial homework on our new rig, and it was a little tighter than I would have liked.

Thus, we made the decision to go with the LFD (73") like we have on our current pumpers. With only a 6 man cab, you can get lost in the back! (Our old engines were 7 man cabs) But as the wb is 224", I doubt it would work out well for the o/p's needs.

Thread Information