Forum Member

Default EMTI-Cert vs Fire-Cert

I am currently in EMT school. I am taking this through the office of Public Safety in a community that I have tested with and am on the list for. I will have my EMT-I by the time a new round of testing comes along to establish a new list. I will not have my Fire cert. My question is it more beneficial to have my EMT or Fire cert as viewed by the departmentís eyes? FYI, you donít need either cert for employment consideration. I scored very well and was high on the list last round of testing without either one. Thanks.

Forum Member

I vote for emt

See if you can find the history of the last few years and see what per centage of medical to fire

Forum Member

I'm not sure where you're located at, but in some areas an EMT-I is very sought after. My department runs all ALS pumpers, and we always seem to need intermediates each time we hire. We provide the fire1/2, hazmat certs, etc during the academy and probationary year. So my advice is the emt -I.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

MembersZone Subscriber

Where can you get the EMT-I certs? National Registry is doing away with that certification of Intermediate. They are not even offering the training any longer in my area. After 2011 there will be no more Intermediates so I would go on & get the EMT-P & get it over with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by senatobiafire View Post
    Where can you get the EMT-I certs? National Registry is doing away with that certification of Intermediate. They are not even offering the training any longer in my area. After 2011 there will be no more Intermediates so I would go on & get the EMT-P & get it over with.
    From my understanding I will be grandfathered in once I take a supplemental course once it is established.

Forum Member

EMT-I/P is what will get you hired.. period. Fire training is all but useless when it comes to being hired by a career department since most dept's have their own academy and their own way of doing things. Having your Paramedic or EMT-I cert is basically a gold card, if you have that, many places will have an actual separate list that you are placed on, and you are often fasttracked. Good Luck!

Forum Member

Very encouraging, thanks!

Forum Member

What state are you in

Forum Member

Ya I don't know what the long term situation with emt-I will be. But right now ALS is what departments are dying for.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

I'm doing ride outs right now for my EMTB cert. I completed fire academy on my own a few months back and am now starting the testing process (have gone through a few already) and from what I've seen getting into the field, the ALS is whats going to get it done.

If there's 800 people and 750 are EMTB or under and the remeaining are EMTI/P; would you rather test against 800 people or 50? think of those odds. then get your score good and you've tested really high and have a very good shot. If you're B, the test score is not as important as an EMTP with an 88 will have a much better shot against an EMTB with a 95.

If I was to do over again, I would definitely forego the Fire and go straight to EMT.... it's a no brainer.
    Last edited by sredish; 11-21-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    What state are you in
    North of Atlanta GA. I live in Canton but am in all surrounding counties and citys.

Forum Member

I recently tested with St. Paul, Minnesota and how they work it is based on your final score (average score of written test and physical agility, plus your vet and residency points) you are placed into a band. This band can have anywhere from 1-500 people in it, all of which scored the same as you. For example there were some 8 people in the 105 band, 25 people in the 100, 40 in the 95, etc.
    St. Paul Fire starts from the top band and goes down, and they can hire anyone from those bands before anyone else in that same band. So let say you ended up in the 90 band with 250 other people. If you have your EMT-Paramedic you are placed above anyone else in that band, you essentially haev a "higher score" than them and therefore are called before the rest. Plus no matter what certifications or training you have, St. Paul Fire sends you through their 3 month Academy to learn the St. Paul way of doing things.

What I'm saying is for this department, and probably many others around the country, having your EMT-Paramedic is essentially a ticket onto the department and while having fire certifications and training is good, it doesn't help you much in getting hired.

Go with your EMT,
    John

Thread Information